Fox News Scandals

What do you guys consider to be sexual harassment? I've had an assistant principal put her hand on my back and sort of rub my back as a nice gesture But is that sexual-harassment? I have had superiors tell me that I "look nice today" but they did not tell everybody else that was in the room the same thing Is that sexual-harassment?

In both those instances I did not ask for my back to be slightly rubbed and I did not ask for a complement on my appearance.

What do you consider to be sexual harassment? Do you think you were harassed? Did you report those incidents? If not, why?

What do you guys consider to be sexual harassment? I've had an assistant principal put her hand on my back and sort of rub my back as a nice gesture But is that sexual-harassment? I have had superiors tell me that I "look nice today" but they did not tell everybody else that was in the room the same thing Is that sexual-harassment?

In both those instances I did not ask for my back to be slightly rubbed and I did not ask for a complement on my appearance.

It is unlawful to harass a person (an applicant or employee) because of that person’s sex. Harassment can include “sexual harassment” or unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.

Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex. For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general.

Both victim and the harasser can be either a woman or a man, and the victim and harasser can be the same sex.

Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).

The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer.

US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute sexual harassment when (1) submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual's employment, (2) submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for employment decisions affecting such individual, or (3) such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual's work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working environment.

CFR 1604.11

What do you guys consider to be sexual harassment? I've had an assistant principal put her hand on my back and sort of rub my back as a nice gesture But is that sexual-harassment? I have had superiors tell me that I "look nice today" but they did not tell everybody else that was in the room the same thing Is that sexual-harassment?In both those instances I did not ask for my back to be slightly rubbed and I did not ask for a complement on my appearance.

What do you consider to be sexual harassment? Do you think you were harassed? Did you report those incidents? If not, why?

I had a friend that made a comment after one of those instances...that it was technically harassment. I did not report them and honestly I thought about it but I thought no one would care.

What do you guys consider to be sexual harassment? I've had an assistant principal put her hand on my back and sort of rub my back as a nice gesture But is that sexual-harassment? I have had superiors tell me that I "look nice today" but they did not tell everybody else that was in the room the same thing Is that sexual-harassment?In both those instances I did not ask for my back to be slightly rubbed and I did not ask for a complement on my appearance.

I had a friend that made a comment after one of those instances...that it was technically harassment. I did not report them and honestly I thought about it but I thought no one would care.

Wise decision on your part. It probably would have hurt your career if you'd reported it. And it's unlikely you would have received anything close to justice. It seems to me like there's a double standard when it comes to sexual harassment and violence between men and women in today's society. It's the same way with violence. Before I was married, a girlfriend of mine hauled off and hit me in the face during an argument. I didn't hit her back, of course. Instead, I turned around and walked off. But I'll be dollars to donuts that if I had hit her back--even lightly--I would have been the one in hot water, not her. How is that NOT a double standard?

Don't get me wrong. I think to some extent it's appropriate that there's a double standard. I mean, men are generally more likely than women to engage in violence or sexually explicit behavior. That, plus men tend to be larger and more muscular, and therefore can do more damage in violent encounters. The thing that gets me is that there are people who claim there *isn't* a double standard. I've known some people who have become so overwhelmingly zealous towards women's rights that they fail to discern when a woman is in the wrong or when a reverse bias situation occurs. These types are so incredibly annoying I've found it's best just not to try to engage them in a forthright discussion.

Not sure that I will get an honest answer out of you teach - but did you truly feel harassed whe you were told you looked nice? Would you have felt that way if a man said it? Did it make you uncomfortable?

I feel like you are just stirring the pot here.

• Fire 3

Wise decision on your part. It probably would have hurt your career if you'd reported it. And it's unlikely you would have received anything close to justice. It seems to me like there's a double standard when it comes to sexual harassment and violence between men and women in today's society. It's the same way with violence. Before I was married, a girlfriend of mine hauled off and hit me in the face during an argument. I didn't hit her back, of course. Instead, I turned around and walked off. But I'll be dollars to donuts that if I had hit her back--even lightly--I would have been the one in hot water, not her. How is that NOT a double standard?

Don't get me wrong. I think to some extent it's appropriate that there's a double standard. I mean, men are generally more likely than women to engage in violence or sexually explicit behavior. That, plus men tend to be larger and more muscular, and therefore can do more damage in violent encounters. The thing that gets me is that there are people who claim there *isn't* a double standard. I've known some people who have become so overwhelmingly zealous towards women's rights that they fail to discern when a woman is in the wrong or when a reverse bias situation occurs. These types are so incredibly annoying I've found it's best just not to try to engage them in a forthright discussion.

This is ridiculous.

• Fire 3

When I worked in healthcare and there literally was 50+ women in our unit compared to less than 10 men, I definitely found myself in situations like this. I was a young college kid. One time I had a nurse walk up to me in front of all the rest of the female nurses on duty and say..."Hey, want a screw?" I was shocked and speechless. Then, she opened her hand and handed me a "screw". Everyone got a really hard laugh out of it.

I didn't report anything and just laughed it off. But, that moment stuck with me ever since. What if I was offended? What if, because I was offended, my job was in jeopardy or if I was held out of a promotion because of my reaction?

Sexual Harassment is not just a male on female thing. Working in healthcare like I did as a young college student made me realize it can happen anywhere one sex is dominant in the work place over the other.

FYI....I never comment on a woman's appearance in the work place. I don't even care if it's a cool pair of shoes.

• Fire 1

Not sure that I will get an honest answer out of you teach - but did you truly feel harassed whe you were told you looked nice? Would you have felt that way if a man said it? Did it make you uncomfortable?

The "compliment" didn't bother me until someone mentioned it I didn't even think about it. The rubbing of my back was weird becuase of the setting...the school office. I did not feel harassed I just felt weird if that makes sense

And the compilment was once from a woman and once from a man.

When I worked in healthcare and there literally was 50+ women in our unit compared to less than 10 men, I definitely found myself in situations like this. I was a young college kid. One time I had a nurse walk up to me in front of all the rest of the female nurses on duty and say..."Hey, want a screw?" I was shocked and speechless. Then, she opened her hand and handed me a "screw". Everyone got a really hard laugh out of it.

I didn't report anything and just laughed it off. But, that moment stuck with me ever since. What if I was offended? What if, because I was offended, my job was in jeopardy or if I was held out of a promotion because of my reaction?

Sexual Harassment is not just a male on female thing. Working in healthcare like I did as a young college student made me realize it can happen anywhere one sex is dominant in the work place over the other.

That is a great example! I also used to get a lot of "can I set you up with my friend or daughter or cousin" type questions and I always felt that it was a little bit odd.

i, like you, work with almost all women

Oh...and I always give an honest answer when asked. I'm not like the phony poster crew...you know...the PPC

Bill O'Reilly was the biggest name in cable news. Nobody even came close to him...

...because they were afraid he might sexually harass them.

I'll be here all week, folks! Try the veal!

(stolen from The Daily Show)

ed00a0a89bf4a432f06896bf2e42924a.gif

• Fire 1

This is ridiculous.

NM...you just did, right?