Mavric

1000 Yard Rushers

1995 Redux    4,761

Honestly, it comes down to what Wilbon can do after contact. Bryant has the tools, but I don't think he is gonna carry 1,000 yards this season. I truly think it's Wilbon making the most of his carries, and even then he falls about 200 yards short of the 1,000 yard mark.

NUance    6,939

Team rushing is what matters. It's dropped off from the Pelini years. But it's more than Callahan. Not even close to the 90s championship years.

year_____ team rushing LINK

2016_____ 2199 yards

2015_____ 2340

2014_____ 3123

2013_____ 2804

2012_____ 3547

2011_____ 2824

2010_____ 3466

2009_____ 2059

2008_____ 2207

2007_____ 1733

2006_____ 2387

2005_____ 1152

2004_____ 1939

2003_____ 3063

2002_____ 3762

2001_____ 3776

2000_____ 3842

1999_____ 3191

1998_____ 3045

1997__ _ 4711

1996_____ 3503

1995__ _ 4398

1994__ _ 4080

1993_____ 3167

The thing that will skew this years number will be the short passes to RBs that I expect we'll see. But really, who cares? I mean, what's the difference between pitching the ball 7 yards on an option or throwing a 7 yard shovel pass to a RB?

NUance    6,939

2005, lolz

Ha ha! I looked at that for a couple minutes to figure out if it was a typo. I mean, talk about an outlier. Sheesh!

ColoradoHusk    2,877

2005, lolz

Ha ha! I looked at that for a couple minutes to figure out if it was a typo. I mean, talk about an outlier. Sheesh!

The team had 399 yards lost that year, including 278 yards lost by Zac Taylor. Taylor finished with -41 yards net rushing on the year.

Landlord    7,076

That 2005 team was baaaaaaad at running the ball. Except against Colorado and Michigan, as it were.

Nebfanatic    613

Team rushing is what matters. It's dropped off from the Pelini years. But it's more than Callahan. Not even close to the 90s championship years.

year_____ team rushing LINK

2016_____ 2199 yards

2015_____ 2340

2014_____ 3123

2013_____ 2804

2012_____ 3547

2011_____ 2824

2010_____ 3466

2009_____ 2059

2008_____ 2207

2007_____ 1733

2006_____ 2387

2005_____ 1152

2004_____ 1939

2003_____ 3063

2002_____ 3762

2001_____ 3776

2000_____ 3842

1999_____ 3191

1998_____ 3045

1997__ _ 4711

1996_____ 3503

1995__ _ 4398

1994__ _ 4080

1993_____ 3167

The thing that will skew this years number will be the short passes to RBs that I expect we'll see. But really, who cares? I mean, what's the difference between pitching the ball 7 yards on an option or throwing a 7 yard shovel pass to a RB?

No real difference imo. If the offense is effective and effectively using all the pieces to attack the defense in a variety of ways, that's usually a good offense

GBRFAN    356

I would gladly take a back that has 1250 all-purpose yards and a backfield that has 2500 all-purpose yards

teachercd    2,492

Honestly, it comes down to what Wilbon can do after contact. Bryant has the tools, but I don't think he is gonna carry 1,000 yards this season. I truly think it's Wilbon making the most of his carries, and even then he falls about 200 yards short of the 1,000 yard mark.

Or it could just take one of those freaky games...like say game one a RB goes for 210...game two the same back goes for 175... maybe just some long run is broken play on defense stuff like that… But all the sudden through the first two games you have almost 400 yards rushing with 10 games left to go.

1995 Redux    4,761

Or it could just take one of those freaky games...like say game one a RB goes for 210...game two the same back goes for 175... maybe just some long run is broken play on defense stuff like that… But all the sudden through the first two games you have almost 400 yards rushing with 10 games left to go.

I think it will definitely take 1 of our RB's having at least 2 special games against the cupcake teams to come within sniffing distance of 1,000 yards. I just expect the same kind of RB by committee approach moving forward until someone seperates themselves, and thusfar the playing field is pretty level.

There is absolutely no excuse for Nebraska to NOT have a 1,000 yard rusher every single season.

1,000 yards / 13 games = 76.92

I am trying to be positive about Mike Riley, the direction of the offense, etc... I love all the positive energy Riley has injected into the program.

But Nebraska's weak, soft, candy ***, rushing attack, and it's inability to dominate the line of scrimmage, is like nails on a chalkboard.

Mike Riley keeps talking about how he wants to finish in the top three of the conference every year in rushing...so far he's 0-2.

dvdcrr    240

There is absolutely no excuse for Nebraska to NOT have a 1,000 yard rusher every single season.

1,000 yards / 13 games = 76.92

I am trying to be positive about Mike Riley, the direction of the offense, etc... I love all the positive energy Riley has injected into the program.

But Nebraska's weak, soft, candy ***, rushing attack, and it's inability to dominate the line of scrimmage, is like nails on a chalkboard.

Mike Riley keeps talking about how he wants to finish in the top three of the conference every year in rushing...so far he's 0-2.

Amen

Pedro Guerrero    383

Fun fact Nebraska didn't have a 1000 rusher in 1996, 1998 & 1999.

I didn't say it's never happened, I said there's really no excuse for it.

BlitzFirst    966

Riley/Langs at Oregon State:

2014 - 472 pass (3305 yards), 376 rush (1417 yards)(RB committee) - 56% pass to 44% run
2013 - 625 pass (4844 yards), 355 rush (1227 yards) (RB committee) - 64% pass to 36% run
2012 - 504 pass (3992 yards), 442 rush (1617 yards) (Storm Barrs Woods almost 1k) - 53% pass to 47% run
2011 - 503 pass (3441 yards), 318 rush (1430 yards) (RB committee) - 61% pass to 39% run
2010 - 375 pass (2483 yards), 384 rush (1435 yards) (Jacquizz Rodgers 1184) - 49% pass to 51% run
2009 - 478 pass (3520 yards), 440 rush (1818 yards) (Jacquizz Rodgers 1440) - 52% pass to 48% run
2008 - 448 pass (3237 yards), 487 rush (2055 yards) (Jacquizz Rodgers 1253) - 48% pass to 52% run
2007 - 438 pass (2557 yards), 541 rush (2274 yards) (Yvenson Bernard 1214) - 45% pass to 55% run
2006 - 425 pass (3393 yards), 474 rush (1655 yards) (Yvenson Bernard 1307) - 47% pass to 53% run
2005 - 459 pass (3261 yards), 415 rush (1348 yards) (Yvenson Bernard 1321) - 52% pass to 48% run
So he had a 1k rusher in 2005 through 2010...6 total years. Pretty damn good. Then didn't have a bell cow rusher after.

shyndy    176

Times are changing a bit, it's less regular to have a guy who can do 20-30 carries every game. Look across the board at college and NFL both. That said with as many games as there are it kind of offsets I guess

chainsaw    32

Every back for the last few years who gets 25 carries, per game, seems to get dinged and is then has limited output. give me RB by committee with no one over 20 carries in any game!

Enhance    2,932

The rushing yards won't bother me if we make up for it in the passing game. We tried for two years to use a less diverse rushing attack with an inconsistent quarterback, sometimes relying on his legs to make up for failures rushing and throwing the football. That's a tough way to win games.

Red Five    2,838

And we didn't win a NC those years. Coincidence?

Guy Chamberlin    3,574

You'd have to measure against all the years we DID have a 1,000 yard rusher and didn't win an NC.

Then throw the comparison away because it's stupid.

We had enviable rushing attacks all of those years. Some years we had platoons, and rushing QBs taking a larger share of the carries. Nothing really magical in a 1,000 yard RB, and nothing particularly rare, either. As mentioned, that's just 75 yards a game for a featured running back.

A less-injured Terrell Newby easily gets the 1,000 yards last season, but it doesn't change the conversation about the running game.

It would be nice if one of the RBs steps up and commands more carries, but a productive multi-headed attack isn't a bad problem to have.

You'd have to measure against all the years we DID have a 1,000 yard rusher and didn't win an NC.

Then throw the comparison away because it's stupid.

We had enviable rushing attacks all of those years. Some years we had platoons, and rushing QBs taking a larger share of the carries. Nothing really magical in a 1,000 yard RB, and nothing particularly rare, either. As mentioned, that's just 75 yards a game for a featured running back.

A less-injured Terrell Newby easily gets the 1,000 yards last season, but it doesn't change the conversation about the running game.

It would be nice if one of the RBs steps up and commands more carries, but a productive multi-headed attack isn't a bad problem to have.

I'm not saying there's anything "magical" about having a 1,000 (at least) yard rusher every season.

What I am saying is that if Mike Riley TRULY wants to be

"...in the top 3 of the conference in rushing every year..."

then having at least one RB eclipse the 1,000 yard mark each season, while not required, is probably a good start.

I am I    416

If we can get ahead in games by 10-14 pts heading into the 4th quarter....that's when we'll earn rushing yards.

HCMR's years of experience plus some of his NFL days says: win the game.

I think if we can actually be ahead in games using "his offense" he won't hesitate ONE bit running the ball to close the game out and just get the win.

Rested defense, a lead, ball control, and comfort will go a long way to gaining rushing yards.

admo    805

Unless the decide to run it outside more frequently, it'll never happen in this offense. Even in 13 games. Defenses, TV announcers, fans - we all see it coming.

Andy yet, Tommy got to run wide. The receivers got to run wide (jet/fly sweep). Evan Cethan Carter got to go run wide (sweep).

Runners? Sure but it's one out of every 10 rush plays.

NM11046    1,704

never gona have a thousand yard rusher if we dont recruit one who can rush for a thousand yard. just saying.

Deep thoughts, by Rusty Shackleford.

Guy Chamberlin    3,574

Any of the three current running backs is talented enough to get 1,000 yards a season, but someone will have to average more than 14 carries a game, which is what Newby averaged last year when he fell 120 yards short.

And either Bryant, Ozibgo or Wilbon will have prove himself clearly superior to the others, or we'll be complaining about not spreading the touches around. I'm already complaining than Mazour isn't getting the ball enough.

I think it's gonna be Bryant and I'm saying it's 50:50 he breaks 1,000.

1995 Redux    4,761

With Ozigbo falling out of favor I get the sense Wilbon ends up the #1 guy but splits pretty hevily with Bryant. If it ends up being close to a 50/50 split between them I just don't see either one hitting that mark.

BlitzFirst    966

Ozigbo being injured = falling out of favor.

Love how it goes from no ones fault to the fault o the coach. Narratives are fun I suppose.

1995 Redux    4,761

Love how it goes from no ones fault to the fault o the coach. Narratives are fun I suppose.

What is it with you and playing White Knight for most tenured and or injured RB? You did it last year too with Newby. There's the narrative.

BlitzFirst    966

What is it with you and playing White Knight for most tenured and or injured RB? You did it last year too with Newby. There's the narrative.

What is it with you not reading news articles that state what I said above? I know reading is hard but come on...

MyBloodIsRed16    173

Pretty sure Nebraska didn't win a NC with a certain back who reach 1000 yards and won the heisman. Who cares. We need wins any way we can get them. If it's passing for 500 yds one game because the team we are playing has a weak secondary then so be it if we only rush for 75. Take what the opponent gives you and win some games

1995 Redux    4,761

What is it with you not reading news articles that state what I said above? I know reading is hard but come on...

Please don't slap me, I want to live.

1995 Redux    4,761

And for the record, Ozigbo is my favorite RB on the roster. So maybe check your defense mechanism at the door.

If we win a conference and national title pulling a "Clemson" and only averaging 160 rushing yards per game, fine I will completely change my line of thinking.

But until Nebraska does it, I will continue to remain skeptical.

I'm not asking Nebraska to get 400 yards on the ground every game lol...

I believe 250 yards rushing per game is doable and should be the target goal.

dvdcrr    240

With the backs we have, I think the team should focus on the run. Ozigbo, Wilbon, Bryant and Mazour looked good. This is a quality group. Take some pressure off these new QB's. Make the defenses bring 8 up front. Then play action pass.

I see a lot of coaches try to play action without establishing the run. But if the run is not established, there is no reason to respect the play action fake. So the result is that the defense bails immediately into Pass D or remains committed to a called blitz, and a lot of incomplete passes, INt's, and punts are the result.

BlitzFirst    966

And for the record, Ozigbo is my favorite RB on the roster. So maybe check your defense mechanism at the door.

Defense mechanisms kick in when something is attacked right? So did you just admit you attacked me? :)

All kidding aside...I think Ozigbo is the worst back on our roster currently. He fits the big back role and that's it. My favorite back on the roster is Wilbon.

lo country    1,814

If we win a conference and national title pulling a "Clemson" and only averaging 160 rushing yards per game, fine I will completely change my line of thinking.

But until Nebraska does it, I will continue to remain skeptical.

I'm not asking Nebraska to get 400 yards on the ground every game lol...

I believe 250 yards rushing per game is doable and should be the target goal.

Clemson pulled a Clemson by having incredible athletes at every level.....(and great staff) It wasn't by chance.

I agree with your point. I'd take it in a heart beat though. Spread the ball around to your playmakers at WR, TE and RB. Let them do the "heavy" lifting.

Looking at Riley's record prior to OSU in 2016, we were 9-0 under him when rushing for more than 200 yards....

1995 Redux    4,761

Defense mechanisms kick in when something is attacked right? So did you just admit you attacked me? :)

All kidding aside...I think Ozigbo is the worst back on our roster currently. He fits the big back role and that's it. My favorite back on the roster is Wilbon.

Probably why he is the projected starter regardless of any injuries, hence why I used the "fell out of favor" line in the first place.

dvdcrr    240

The only thing I know for sure is the best predictor for college football success is Red Zone Defense. And that is why it makes perfect sense that Vanderbilt U. leads the Nation baby! Oh Yeah

spurs1990    536

The only thing I know for sure is the best predictor for college football success is Red Zone Defense. And that is why it makes perfect sense that Vanderbilt U. leads the Nation baby! Oh Yeah

That SEC powerhouse! :lol:

swmohusker    607

They beat tennessee by 2 scores. The same tennessee that whooped us in nashville

spurs1990    536

They beat tennessee by 2 scores. The same tennessee that whooped us in nashville

Whether or not you find a way to put us down does not change their place in the pecking order of that conference which I believe was the only point being made there.