1000 Yard Rushers

Honestly, it comes down to what Wilbon can do after contact. Bryant has the tools, but I don't think he is gonna carry 1,000 yards this season. I truly think it's Wilbon making the most of his carries, and even then he falls about 200 yards short of the 1,000 yard mark.

Or it could just take one of those freaky games...like say game one a RB goes for 210...game two the same back goes for 175... maybe just some long run is broken play on defense stuff like that… But all the sudden through the first two games you have almost 400 yards rushing with 10 games left to go.

I think it will definitely take 1 of our RB's having at least 2 special games against the cupcake teams to come within sniffing distance of 1,000 yards. I just expect the same kind of RB by committee approach moving forward until someone seperates themselves, and thusfar the playing field is pretty level.

There is absolutely no excuse for Nebraska to NOT have a 1,000 yard rusher every single season.

1,000 yards / 13 games = 76.92

I am trying to be positive about Mike Riley, the direction of the offense, etc... I love all the positive energy Riley has injected into the program.

But Nebraska's weak, soft, candy ***, rushing attack, and it's inability to dominate the line of scrimmage, is like nails on a chalkboard.

Mike Riley keeps talking about how he wants to finish in the top three of the conference every year in rushing...so far he's 0-2.

• Fire 1

There is absolutely no excuse for Nebraska to NOT have a 1,000 yard rusher every single season.

1,000 yards / 13 games = 76.92

I am trying to be positive about Mike Riley, the direction of the offense, etc... I love all the positive energy Riley has injected into the program.

But Nebraska's weak, soft, candy ***, rushing attack, and it's inability to dominate the line of scrimmage, is like nails on a chalkboard.

Mike Riley keeps talking about how he wants to finish in the top three of the conference every year in rushing...so far he's 0-2.

Amen

The rushing yards won't bother me if we make up for it in the passing game. We tried for two years to use a less diverse rushing attack with an inconsistent quarterback, sometimes relying on his legs to make up for failures rushing and throwing the football. That's a tough way to win games.

Fun fact Nebraska didn't have a 1000 rusher in 1996, 1998 & 1999.

And we didn't win a NC those years. Coincidence?

You'd have to measure against all the years we DID have a 1,000 yard rusher and didn't win an NC.

Then throw the comparison away because it's stupid.

We had enviable rushing attacks all of those years. Some years we had platoons, and rushing QBs taking a larger share of the carries. Nothing really magical in a 1,000 yard RB, and nothing particularly rare, either. As mentioned, that's just 75 yards a game for a featured running back.

A less-injured Terrell Newby easily gets the 1,000 yards last season, but it doesn't change the conversation about the running game.

It would be nice if one of the RBs steps up and commands more carries, but a productive multi-headed attack isn't a bad problem to have.

Fun fact Nebraska didn't have a 1000 rusher in 1996, 1998 & 1999.

And we didn't win a NC those years. Coincidence?

You'd have to measure against all the years we DID have a 1,000 yard rusher and didn't win an NC.

Then throw the comparison away because it's stupid.

We had enviable rushing attacks all of those years. Some years we had platoons, and rushing QBs taking a larger share of the carries. Nothing really magical in a 1,000 yard RB, and nothing particularly rare, either. As mentioned, that's just 75 yards a game for a featured running back.

A less-injured Terrell Newby easily gets the 1,000 yards last season, but it doesn't change the conversation about the running game.

It would be nice if one of the RBs steps up and commands more carries, but a productive multi-headed attack isn't a bad problem to have.

I'm not saying there's anything "magical" about having a 1,000 (at least) yard rusher every season.

What I am saying is that if Mike Riley TRULY wants to be

"...in the top 3 of the conference in rushing every year..."

then having at least one RB eclipse the 1,000 yard mark each season, while not required, is probably a good start.

• Fire 1

If we can get ahead in games by 10-14 pts heading into the 4th quarter....that's when we'll earn rushing yards.

HCMR's years of experience plus some of his NFL days says: win the game.

I think if we can actually be ahead in games using "his offense" he won't hesitate ONE bit running the ball to close the game out and just get the win.

Rested defense, a lead, ball control, and comfort will go a long way to gaining rushing yards.

Unless the decide to run it outside more frequently, it'll never happen in this offense. Even in 13 games. Defenses, TV announcers, fans - we all see it coming.

Andy yet, Tommy got to run wide. The receivers got to run wide (jet/fly sweep). Evan Cethan Carter got to go run wide (sweep).

Runners? Sure but it's one out of every 10 rush plays.

• Fire 1