Religious freedom and female genital mutilation

Not an easy topic to think about or talk about...

I've known a long time that this was done and I try to ignore it because I can't do anything about it. But I read the articles about the doctor they arrested in the U.S. for performing it and ended up reading more on it, and what they do for Type I (the most mild version) is worse than circumcision. A non-insignificant proportion of females never figure out how their parts work - some never experience an orgasm in their lives, so to have any physical part at all taken away decreases that chance to almost 0. At least with circumcision men still have working parts (if not working at the highest capacity).

What I read about Type III was so awful I don't even want to think about it again but it makes me want to kill all males in Egypt and Somalia or at the very least dissolve their members in acid. They deserve to die for what they do to girls.

And that brings us to people moving from those places to America. I'm still okay with it, but we can't allow them to ever use religious freedom as a defense for this. It needs to stay illegal forever. This doctor and any accomplices need to go to jail for a long, long time.

• Fire 4

I've never researched it. What is the "religious" point of doing it?

Can it be done as adults, or does that defeat the purpose? If a grown women wants to do it for religious reasons, who am I to stop her?

Mutilating the body of a child is wrong, I agree. At least circumcisions have medical benefits on top of the religious undertones...

The science on whether circumcision has health benefits is still debated.

That's one of the reasons given for doing it to females along with religion. I don't know the details of that.

It is often done to girls but when something like this is done to women in countries that treat women as lesser than men, you have to question what choice the women have. This has been ingrained in the culture.

Female genital mutilation is most-often practiced in countries where women have few or no rights. It's trumped up in a belief that it's more hygienic or healthier for women, but the actual intent is to remove sexual gratification from women so they don't cheat on husbands.

It's barbaric and should be stopped.

• Fire 3

It's a brutal and evil practice that has no place anywhere in this world. I cannot fathom how the men in those societies even want it to be done. Id rather have my wife cheat on me than to never have the pleasure of satisfying a woman. I just don't understand it at all but, to be fair, I don't understand a lot of the Islamic culture, dying/killing for allah, 77 virgins and all that BS. I agree with the OP, don't let it become acceptable here and do all we can to end the practice elsewhere.

We can all find common ground (I hope) in opposing genital mutilation.Using that to justify other forms of casual Islamophobia (viz.) is weak. I'm sure that's not what was even being implied, though.

Who has used it to justify other forms of casual Islamaphobia? I'm pretty sure Dude was just giving the pot a couple stirs with his comment.