Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

13 minutes ago, husker98 said:

as bad as these last couple movies were i am bracing for something  awful

There's a long time until it comes out, but it'll be interesting to see if JJ makes any course corrections to try and get the story back on the track he set in TFA, to correct the various derailments Rian Johnson made in TLJ. 

On 7/10/2018 at 10:42 PM, Cdog923 said:

There's a long time until it comes out, but it'll be interesting to see if JJ makes any course corrections to try and get the story back on the track he set in TFA, to correct the various derailments Rian Johnson made in TLJ. 

I can't see how they can put this story back together after the last one destroyed most of the things setup in episode 7. Maybe just go back to the traditional hero story of Rey vs Ren

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Carrie Fisher is going to be in this movie so how are they going to do that?  Are they going to "Grand Moff Tarkin" her?

No.  They specifically said they wouldn't use CGI.  They are going to re-use shots they filmed but didn't use in Episode VIII.

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

No.  They specifically said they wouldn't use CGI.  They are going to re-use shots they filmed but didn't use in Episode VIII.

Which is interesting, because they did that for another deceased actor (Peter Cushing / Grand Moff Tarkin).  And they CGI'd Leia's face at the end of Rogue One.  So there's precedent.

I thought they did a brilliant job of using old footage of the X-Wing pilots from ANH in Rogue One.  If they have stuff like that from Carrie that they can put into the story line for IX and make it work, I'm all for that. 

Seeing Red Leader & Gold Leader (and Porkins?) in that battle scene was fantastic.  I think half the theater bugged out when they came on screen.

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Which is interesting, because they did that for another deceased actor (Peter Cushing / Grand Moff Tarkin).  And they CGI'd Leia's face at the end of Rogue One.  So there's precedent.

I thought they did a brilliant job of using old footage of the X-Wing pilots from ANH in Rogue One.  If they have stuff like that from Carrie that they can put into the story line for IX and make it work, I'm all for that. 

Seeing Red Leader & Gold Leader (and Porkins?) in that battle scene was fantastic.  I think half the theater bugged out when they came on screen.

Who's the 'they' we're all talking about here? Disney? It must be Disney right, because otherwise all these films have different people working on them. 

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Who's the 'they' we're all talking about here? Disney? It must be Disney right, because otherwise all these films have different people working on them. 

Despite previous statements to the contrary, the late Carrie Fisher will reprise her role as Leia Organa in the upcoming Star Wars Episode IX. Lucasfilm confirmed the news as part of a broader announcement regarding casting and other details, which also revealed that Mark Hamill will be in the new movie. [Update: Hamill has now spoken about the prospect of making Episode IX without Fisher.]

In a post on the official Star Wars website, Lucasfilm said it will use "previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens" in order to include Fisher, who passed away in December 2016. Notably, Episode IX is being directed by JJ Abrams, who also helmed The Force Awakens before Rian Johnson took over for The Last Jedi, which was thought to be Fisher's final Star Wars role.

"We desperately loved Carrie Fisher," Abrams said in a statement. "Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie's legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII."

Link

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

Ah.  I wonder how much unseen footage there is?  How will they (or will they) address her death?  Will she die on-screen, off-screen?  Will they "Yoda" her?  Meaning have her appear as a Force ghost/entity?  So many questions.

• Mavric changed the title to Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker