So, now that I've cut the cord and do some gaming, I'm starting to want a new router.

The one I have is a single band, and the more reading I do, it's apparent I need a dual band with the 2.4 GHZ & 5GHZ capacity.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to keep the cost around $100 preferably.

• Fire 1

Matty-

When we moved into our new apartment, we were in a similar spot. I went with the AC1750 here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUSDVBQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worked great so far. We've had some issues but I'm convinced it's our crap ISP and possibly the wiring in our building. I think it's a great router for the money.

Awesome. Thanks!

I was going to run into Best Buy to get a few ideas from them, but this one looks like it covers all my bases.

I just need that dual band to help with all the devices we have going at once, I think.

It's pretty handy having two. I've got my PS3 and PS4 on the 2.4 GHz band, so it's nice to be able to connect my other devices to the 5 GHz and get nice, quick speeds regardless of whether we're streaming something.

• Fire 1

Also keep in mind the cable modem could be a limiting factor.

And by that , you mean I might need a new modem as well? Or that my ISP might not be giving me a fast enough speed?

When I've done speed tests, I've never gotten close to the speed I'm supposed to be able to reach per my ISP.

I have a 2-band router just because most new ones seem to have them. FWIW, I don't even use the 5GHz band anymore, though I could (I shut it off to conserve power). I don't have that many devices. In a larger room, 5GHz can be finicky; I think what I've read there is it attenuates sharply. 2.4GHz is more common and so part of your speed issue might be helped just by switching to a lesser-used channel. I don't know how much of a difference it really makes in gaming, so this is about "internet speed" only.

If you are getting much less than advertised from your ISP, it could be a problem with the installation, but perhaps the # of channels on the cable modem is an issue too. How much speed are you supposed to get and what modem do you have?

I splurged for https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Gigabit-Compatible/dp/B00KWHMR6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493230229&sr=8-1&keywords=night+hawk+x6

A typical night when my g/f is busy consists of watching netflix on my tv while gaming. We have dedicated channels for netflix/gaming/browsing (phones/her laptop). I have no regrets. It was expensive, but 100% worth it. I was able to find one on ebay for a little less than what amazon advertises for.