ESPN's Black Wednesday

On the one hand, it doesn't hurt my feelings that ESPN is in straits. I turned them off years and years ago and haven't missed their style of programming one bit. The people running that network have completely lost sight of what sports should be all about, and their travails don't make my heart ache one bit.

But on the other hand, there are a number of very talented, front-line people getting caught up in the crossfire. Today, April 26th, they've laid off 100 people, many very talented people that I follow pretty religiously.

A not-at-all comprehensive list of those affected by layoffs:

Trent Dilfer
Jayson Stark
Big Ten reporter Brian Bennett
Max Olson
Danny Kanell
Eamonn Brennan
Jeremy Crabtree
Brett McMurphy
Mark Saxon
Jesse Temple
Brendan Fitzgerald
Ed Werder

Deadspin is compiling a running list as people announce they've been laid off.

Blowhards are, for the most part, apparently safe. Because sh#t programming apparently attracts more ratings than facts and stats and replays. So we have mostly the audience to blame for this, I guess.

While I very much sympathize with all the folks being let go, I did find this tweet to be a little absurd:

• Fire 7

I will flip on ESPN out of habit just to see what's on, but if it's not a game or other programming that I am not interested in, I will quickly turn the channel.

I used to love SportsCenter, but the nightly scores and highlight show isn't necessary, nightly watching for sports fans anymore. People can get all the scores and highlights they want at the click of a mouse (yes, I use a mouse) or finger on a phone screen.

The only time I watch ESPN is if there is a game I want to watch.

Other than that, I have no interest. Every once in a while I will think...."Hey....sports center would be good to watch right now".....30 seconds later, I'm thumbing through the channels again.

I started seeing tweets this morning about various reporters being fired. Was wondering what was going on.

Other than that, I have no interest. Every once in a while I will think...."Hey....sports center would be good to watch right now".....30 seconds later, I'm thumbing through the channels again.

I started seeing tweets this morning about various reporters being fired. Was wondering what was going on.

This is how I am too. If I want highlights, I'll use the ESPN app, Twitter, or the Bleacher Report Team Stream app.

Other than that, I don't watch ANY of their shows anymore

This is how I am too. If I want highlights, I'll use the ESPN app, Twitter, or the Bleacher Report Team Stream app.

Other than that, I don't watch ANY of their shows anymore

I watch one.... Highly Questionable.

And it's for the entertainment, really. Not so much the sport takes.

Am I the only one that has become annoyed by all the gloomy takes on Twitter (especially the local guys)? They're are being let go from the company at the top of their industry..... They're all going to land on their feet.

These are their friends who have just lost their jobs. Guys/gals they hang out with on the road for a large chunk of the year. Of course they are going to offer their sympathies.

Am I the only one that has become annoyed by all the gloomy takes on Twitter (especially the local guys)? They're are being let go from the company at the top of their industry..... They're all going to land on their feet.

These are their friends who have just lost their jobs. Guys/gals they hang out with on the road for a large chunk of the year. Of course they are going to offer their sympathies.

Plus, the industry itself is not on solid ground.

That, and general empathy is not a bad thing.