Next Year Starting Five Predictions

Palmer is bad. Very bad. From what I've seen and from what I've heard. He will not be playing.

i don't want to be mean or that guy but people can get a hell of a lot better. I know it's a long shot but with hard work you can really up your game drastically.

That was literally the meanest thing I've ever seen posted on this board

I don't doubt what you've heard AtBone, but.... Guys don't get full rides to Miami and then another P5 School, if they are very bad.... Right?

We've had some not so great guys on scholarship before. Miami probably has had some duds too. Don't know anything about this guy though.

Palmer is bad. Very bad. From what I've seen and from what I've heard. He will not be playing.

i don't want to be mean or that guy but people can get a hell of a lot better. I know it's a long shot but with hard work you can really up your game drastically.

you can only get better at the position your coach wants you to play and the position message board posters think you should play.

• 3 months later...

My guess at it:

Watson 6'0

Palmer 6'6

Roby 6'8

Copeland 6'9

Tshimanga 6'11

In the rotation:

Allen 6'1

Gill 6'3

Akenten 6'6

McVeigh 6'8

Okeke 6'8

End of bench: 

Taylor 6'5

Thor 6'5

Starting 5 is big and long and also gives the Huskers shooters to space the floor around Tshimanga. Watson/Jordy P/R with Palmer spotting up in the corner is going to look awesome this year. You will see that a lot. I really like Copeland's game and hope he can be eligible for the whole season. It would really help us off the bat and we will need him with us playing UCF, Creighton, and KU in the non-conference schedule. Plus he would miss the first couple of B1G games. NCAA needs to grant him his eligibility and let him play. 

I think Gill, even if its just as a ball handler off the bench, plays a role on this team. Senior, former top recruit, definitely has a role. McVeigh I included as "in the rotation" but I think he is the last guy in that group and very easily could see drastically fewer minutes than he did even a year ago. If he isn't going to knock down 3's at a > 40% clip then there is really no reason for him to be out there. Okeke is essentially a Jordy lite and should be able to provide spot up minutes at C. We are one big short probably- which is really the story of Miles' career here.

Taylor has no business being on the floor. None. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot and we have multiple people on this team that can do everything he does but better and more efficiently. He will be a nice guy to have on the team but if he is playing significant minutes we are in trouble. Not really sure what to expect out of Thor- you don't normally redshirt kids in basketball, especially 19 year olds, but I think one would be in order here since he's going to have to make not just a huge basketball adjustment, but a massive cultural and lifestyle adjustment as well. Maybe he can help us down the line but I don't see that being the case this year. 

Thoughts?

• Plus1 1

Also to those that are saying Palmer won't play- 

6'6 SG that shot 37% from 3 as a freshman and is a former top 100 recruit won't play? For a team that started a transfer from Samford at his position last year, and had one guard shoot over 30% from 3 on the entire roster? Who is going to play over him? 

Here's your 3 point statistics from last year:

Watson Jr., Glynn  48  121  .397 
McVeigh, Jack  47  139  .338 
Horne, Jeriah  22  66  .333 
Webster, Tai  40  136  .294 
Gill, Anton  29  .276 
Taylor, Evan  25  .240 
Roby, Isaiah  20  .200 
Jacobson, Michael  23  .174 
Laws, Malcolm  .000 

Who is taking his place? Even if you say Akenten who is a true freshman, I don't see how he starts over Palmer to begin the season. Palmer is going to play- and play a lot.

2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

My guess at it:

Watson 6'0

Palmer 6'6

Roby 6'8

Copeland 6'9

Tshimanga 6'11

In the rotation:

Allen 6'1

Gill 6'3

Akenten 6'6

McVeigh 6'8

Okeke 6'8

End of bench: 

Taylor 6'5

Thor 6'5

Starting 5 is big and long and also gives the Huskers shooters to space the floor around Tshimanga. Watson/Jordy P/R with Palmer spotting up in the corner is going to look awesome this year. You will see that a lot. I really like Copeland's game and hope he can be eligible for the whole season. It would really help us off the bat and we will need him with us playing UCF, Creighton, and KU in the non-conference schedule. Plus he would miss the first couple of B1G games. NCAA needs to grant him his eligibility and let him play. 

I think Gill, even if its just as a ball handler off the bench, plays a role on this team. Senior, former top recruit, definitely has a role. McVeigh I included as "in the rotation" but I think he is the last guy in that group and very easily could see drastically fewer minutes than he did even a year ago. If he isn't going to knock down 3's at a > 40% clip then there is really no reason for him to be out there. Okeke is essentially a Jordy lite and should be able to provide spot up minutes at C. We are one big short probably- which is really the story of Miles' career here.

Taylor has no business being on the floor. None. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot and we have multiple people on this team that can do everything he does but better and more efficiently. He will be a nice guy to have on the team but if he is playing significant minutes we are in trouble. Not really sure what to expect out of Thor- you don't normally redshirt kids in basketball, especially 19 year olds, but I think one would be in order here since he's going to have to make not just a huge basketball adjustment, but a massive cultural and lifestyle adjustment as well. Maybe he can help us down the line but I don't see that being the case this year. 

Thoughts?

Evan Taylor will be in the 9 or 10 man rotation. Sorry to burst your bubble but he is going to play this year. He brings athleticism to the table and plays pretty good defense for Miles to play him. If he improves his shooting he might start, but for now I would say he is the sixth man. or seventh man on this team. 

Also it seems hard to predict this lineup without a definitive answer on Copeland. I think Roby plays the four sometimes this year, especially if Isaac is not eligible for the first semester. I think he plays the four a lot because Tim wants to run up and down the floor. So to give Copeland rest Roby plays that role well for giving us an athletic wing who can run and play defense. 

Assuming Copeland is eligible to start the season my starting five would be:

Watson

Palmer

Roby

Copeland

Tshimanga

Next five:

Taylor

Gill

Akenten

McVeigh

Okeke

If he's not eligible until Mid-December I think they go with three guards & Roby at the 4 (he's up to 226 lbs):

Watson

Palmer

Taylor/Gill

Roby

Tshimanga

Next five:

Gill/Taylor (which ever one doesn't start)

Allen

Akenten

McVeigh

Okeke

I think that Gill will be the odd man out by the end of the season.  He was very streaky at Louisville, didn't hit anything last and is coming off a knee injury.  Early he will probably be ahead of Allen, but by mid-season Allen will get more playing time than Gill.  Thor should probably redshirt, but who knows.

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2017 at 7:56 AM, ScottyIce said:

You don't think Palmer is going to get PT?

Why not?

@seaofred92 well I called him on this first, so I get more points.... lol

On 5/3/2017 at 8:44 AM, ScottyIce said:

I don't doubt what you've heard AtBone, but.... Guys don't get full rides to Miami and then another P5 School, if they are very bad.... Right?

I will say this- the jump that Evan Taylor has made this year is absolutely astronomical. To go from 25% behind the arc to 46% is just ridiculous. Probably has a lot to do with the reduced role/responsibility he's asked to play on this years team but man I can't say enough about how impressed I've been with his jump in performance and efficiency

Edited by seaofred92

Where is that blogger who had inside info on JPJ being “very bad” haven’t seen him post since I got involved w this site.

taylor is just tough, tough tough tough. I didn’t like him as a starter so much but gotta give it to Miles he is money off the bench n he brings that swag. Him n duby are the kinda guys teams need to give you alil “juice”, just scrappy hard nosed players

14 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Where is that blogger who had inside info on JPJ being “very bad” haven’t seen him post since I got involved w this site.

taylor is just tough, tough tough tough. I didn’t like him as a starter so much but gotta give it to Miles he is money off the bench n he brings that swag. Him n duby are the kinda guys teams need to give you alil “juice”, just scrappy hard nosed players

Hey dumbie, look like... the posts immediately above yours. 

James is on fire. Good for him. Sorry for sharing how he performed in practice last year. Glad I'm wrong, you got me!

Edited by Atbone95