- - - - -

Jordan Westerkamp Trying Out With Tampa Bay Bucs (Previous Report Of N.E. Inaccurate)

• You cannot reply to this topic
87 replies to this topic

#51 Making Chimichangas

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

An honest question.  Are we as fans, myself included, high on Westy because of his success at NU even though the success is rather pedestrian compared to other FBS leading receivers.  I think Westy has great hands, phenomenal route running and a desire to compete.  Is he marginalized because of "measurables", lack of production, or stats.  I can't help but think he and other recent NU receivers/TE's have been hurt by quality QB play more so than their lack of "ability".  Thoughts....

That's a good question. 

Honestly, I don't know if JW is fast enough to play at the next level.  Don't get me wrong, he could walk 40 yards faster than I could run it, but compared to DBs in the league...I just don't think he has the wheels.

Now if a team puts him in the slot, sends him in motion, etc, he's a good enough route runner that they could probably use scheme to help him get open.

Rebellions are built on hope

#52 HuskerMerc44

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

An honest question.  Are we as fans, myself included, high on Westy because of his success at NU even though the success is rather pedestrian compared to other FBS leading receivers.  I think Westy has great hands, phenomenal route running and a desire to compete.  Is he marginalized because of "measurables", lack of production, or stats.  I can't help but think he and other recent NU receivers/TE's have been hurt by quality QB play more so than their lack of "ability".  Thoughts....

As a NU fan, I have bias.

If you ask me to dissolve it, I will.

Is Jordan a great wideout... Yep.

Is he overvalued.... nope.

How are his hands?.... S+

Will to compete... S+

<p>k4iAJP5.jpg

#53 southernoregonhusker

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

No contract offer from TB.  Off to Cleveland in hopes of a deal.

#54 broganreynik

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:17 AM

On if any of this weekend's tryout WRs have caught his attention:

"Yeah, they have because they try hard. I have to watch them a little more to find out a little bit more about them to know and see if they have a chance to stick here and really can contribute to our team."

http://m.clevelandbr...485151298611214

The Browns are at the max roster size of 90 though. They just signed two DBs, but still need WR help bad. I wouldn't be surprised to see some shuffling around to add a WR or two. We'll see what that means for Westy. I haven't seen any news one way or the other.

I'd love to have to pick up a Westy Browns jersey!

https://twitter.com/nflhuskers/status/864261716124807169
Posted Image
The Power of the Westerstache!

#55 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,849 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

Pulled a hamstring in Cleveland and was pretty limited. Didn't get signed.

bKzWyb.jpgI7yKkp.jpgelgfqt.jpg

#56 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,019 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

It's really sad he got injured last year and hasn't been able to catch on somewhere.

I would have bet money that someone would have taken a chance on him.

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

#57 Elf

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

It's really sad he got injured last year and hasn't been able to catch on somewhere.

While I wish he could make a roster somewhere, I'm not really surprised by this. How many times did we see him leave a game due to being dinged up?

#58 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,286 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

While I wish he could make a roster somewhere, I'm not really surprised by this. How many times did we see him leave a game due to being dinged up?

Less than the number of times we saw him completely sell his body out to make a catch. For every ten massive hits, usually resulting in a first down in a critical juncture of a game, he maybe left the game once or twice.

This is a pretty weird complaint to make. He's not fragile. He's a team-first guy who will risk injury to accomplish team goals.

clEdF.png

The failure to condemn is necessarily the act to condone.

#59 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,019 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

Less than the number of times we saw him completely sell his body out to make a catch. For every ten massive hits, usually resulting in a first down in a critical juncture of a game, he maybe left the game once or twice.

This is a pretty weird complaint to make. He's not fragile. He's a team-first guy who will risk injury to accomplish team goals.

I agree.  He was a total gamer and in doing so, he is going to get dinged up a little.  He played through one hell of a lot of that and continued to be one who sacrifices his body for the catch (with super glue hands)

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

#60 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,019 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

Double post

George Bush

#61 saunders45

Legend

• Mods
  • 10,246 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

8770fe920e23f3e6c6668fd7a2cfb6b2.jpg

WFKrsLn.jpg

#62 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,286 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

^^^^ And that reception, if I recall correctly, didn't even count. Got called back on a penalty.

clEdF.png

#63 saunders45

Legend

• Mods
  • 10,246 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

^^^^ And that reception, if I recall correctly, didn't even count. Got called back on a penalty.

Yup. Dude sells out to make plays.

WFKrsLn.jpg

#64 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,849 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

It's really sad he got injured last year and hasn't been able to catch on somewhere.I would have bet money that someone would have taken a chance on him.

Less than the number of times we saw him completely sell his body out to make a catch. For every ten massive hits, usually resulting in a first down in a critical juncture of a game, he maybe left the game once or twice.This is a pretty weird complaint to make. He's not fragile. He's a team-first guy who will risk injury to accomplish team goals.

Yep. Don't know how many times he got hung out to dry against Michigan State two years ago. Took three or four hits that I thought probably knocked him out of the game. Kept coming back.

#65 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,286 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

It's really sad he got injured last year and hasn't been able to catch on somewhere.I would have bet money that someone would have taken a chance on him.

Less than the number of times we saw him completely sell his body out to make a catch. For every ten massive hits, usually resulting in a first down in a critical juncture of a game, he maybe left the game once or twice.This is a pretty weird complaint to make. He's not fragile. He's a team-first guy who will risk injury to accomplish team goals.

Yep. Don't know how many times he got hung out to dry against Michigan State two years ago. Took three or four hits that I thought probably knocked him out of the game. Kept coming back.

Exactly. Anyone who can watch the hit he willingly took on the last drive, after getting drilled all game long, and infer that Westerkamp is not durable is a crazy person.

clEdF.png

#66 RedSavage

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

Yup

#67 Born N Bled Red

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

Yup

How that hit wasn't targeting is beyond me- the dude launched himself into helmet to helmet contact. Just shows what a crappy penalty that is.

#68 Making Chimichangas

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

8770fe920e23f3e6c6668fd7a2cfb6b2.jpg

That's clearly photo-shopped... :P

#69 Making Chimichangas

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

Born N Bled Red said: How that hit wasn't targeting is beyond me- the dude launched himself into helmet to helmet contact. Just shows what a crappy penalty that is.

I must be seeing something completely different because I see the Michigan State player putting his face-mask directy into JW's chest, wrapping up, and making a good physical tackle.

#70 Husker2019

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

I agree. I think it was a violent hit, but not one that warranted a flag. Still amazing that Westy caught it.

#71 I am I

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:35 AM

Great Husker. Played awesome. Had tons of hype coming in, fulfilled most of it. Helped us win a ton of games and sold out his body for the school and fans.

We have our rose colored glasses on though to think he would ever really have a shot at the pros. Too short, too slow, not quick, often hurt, and not a good enough college QB throwing him passes to take a flyer on him.

Loved watching him play here and I'll always remember him from recruitment through tenure here. Great Husker career, Jordan.
Shapes hard to tell which is which as if drawn by a child...

#72 Elf

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

Great Husker. Played awesome. Had tons of hype coming in, fulfilled most of it. Helped us win a ton of games and sold out his body for the school and fans.

We have our rose colored glasses on though to think he would ever really have a shot at the pros. Too short, too slow, not quick, often hurt, and not a good enough college QB throwing him passes to take a flyer on him.

Loved watching him play here and I'll always remember him from recruitment through tenure here. Great Husker career, Jordan.

It's just my opinion, but I think he's good enough to play in the pros. Size and speed isn't everything, if it was Steve Largent wouldn't be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I'm thinking its his durability that is his limiting factor.

In regards to the bold? Man, who can ever forget that behind the back catch? Isn't that the one that first had people calling him Westercatch? He certainly made more than his share of outstanding catches during his tenure here.

#73 broganreynik

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

It's just my opinion, but I think he's good enough to play in the pros. Size and speed isn't everything, if it was Steve Largent wouldn't be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I'm thinking its his durability that is his limiting factor.

In regards to the bold? Man, who can ever forget that behind the back catch? Isn't that the one that first had people calling him Westercatch? He certainly made more than his share of outstanding catches during his tenure here.

...Northwestern Hail Mary?
Posted Image

#74 onlyHskrfaninIL

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

I agree. Really solid college player but too slow to make an NFL team. Seems like a good kid and hopefully he took his schoolwork seriously.

#75 Elf

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:53 PM

An excellent example. :D

#76 MyBloodIsRed16

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

He's a lot like the kid Ohio state had a few years back. Not overly athletic but caught everything. Bears picked him up as a unsigned free agent. Can't think of his name but pretty much gonna be the same career path

#77 swmohusker

Heisman Winner

• Members2
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

He's a lot like the kid Ohio state had a few years back. Not overly athletic but caught everything. Bears picked him up as a unsigned free agent. Can't think of his name but pretty much gonna be the same career path

Sanzenbacher. Think he was a little faster than westy and was invited to the combine, but solid comparison. Maybe a slower version of abbrederis from wiscy.

#78 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,089 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

That's where we met :lol:

"I’d rather f------ work at McDonald’s than work with some of those guys. Not that there is anything bad about working at McDonald’s.” - Bo Pelini

#79 HuskermanMike

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:01 PM

Best of luck to Westy in his future endeavors. It is tough to make it in the league and hopefully he gets to fulfill his dream by first staying healthy because he can catch everything that comes his way.

Mike Riley supporter 

Fan of Alternate Uniforms

"I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation. I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation."

--Bob Devaney, on his days as Nebraska coach.

#80 BlitzFirst

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:57 PM

Anyone know if any NFL team is even looking at him?  CFL maybe?

#81 broganreynik

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:03 PM

That's where we met :lol:

I can hardly think of better circumstances!
Posted Image

#82 chainsaw

Scout Team

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

I hateto be a debbie downer but CFL is proly the worst place he can go!

#83 lo country

Legend

• Members
  • 10,596 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

Anyone else surprised that he hasn't been picked up yet?  I truly thought that with his solid hands, route running ability and character he'd have gotten picked up.....

#freetommy_gun4

#84 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,849 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

Anyone else surprised that he hasn't been picked up yet?  I truly thought that with his solid hands, route running ability and character he'd have gotten picked up.....

Depends on how bad he pulled his hammy.....

#85 chainsaw

Scout Team

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:40 AM

He runs nice routes but when he comes out of his breaks, he has no burst to separate him from even a college DB, let alone a pro DB.  that's why he makes circus catches, he's always in traffic.   Without his roommate being his QB, he would have been overlooked on most routes, because unless a DB got turned around, he was always covered like a blanket! 

#86 MyBloodIsRed16

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

He was left wide open quite a few times standing there with his hand in the air because his rommie wasn't very good at qb

#87 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,940 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

He runs nice routes but when he comes out of his breaks, he has no burst to separate him from even a college DB, let alone a pro DB.  that's why he makes circus catches, he's always in traffic.   Without his roommate being his QB, he would have been overlooked on most routes, because unless a DB got turned around, he was always covered like a blanket! 

I didn't wanna say it. But now it's been said.

NFL teams probably prefer receivers who get enough separation that the football can be thrown right to their hands. With Westerkamp it has to be thrown more away from the defender, which means he has to layout more. Which means he's probably more prone to injury. Which also means he's not going to catch it in stride as often.

#88 Thanks_Tom RR

Wizard of Osborne

• Mods
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

I didn't wanna say it. But now it's been said.

NFL teams probably prefer receivers who get enough separation that the football can be thrown right to their hands. With Westerkamp it has to be thrown more away from the defender, which means he has to layout more. Which means he's probably more prone to injury. Which also means he's not going to catch it in stride as often.

Are we really debating if a slot receiver will routinely be catching passes in coverage?  :dunno

Check out his highlight videos, his circus catches result from inaccurate passes that he has the body control and good hands to reel in.

Just for the sake of argument, I went and grabbed all of the time stamps from the Oregon game where Westerkamp was either targeted or where you can see his full route. I chose the Oregon game because they have speedy DBs. Here is the full game: #9.

6:38 Good separation from JW, but over thrown

21:54 Good separation at his break, ball thrown to Stanley

24:20/26:17(Replay) Bunch formation, ball thrown a little behind JW but he adjusts, catches, and runs in for a TD

56:57 DB jumps route and deflects the pass

1:04:20 Ball over thrown, but JW had good separation after his break

1:08:07/1:10:19 (Replay) JW gets good separation, tracks the ball, and catches for a TD

1:14:35 Highlights during the games, where they feature JW's ability to get good separation (something the announcer specifically comments on) and catch the ball

2:15:20/2:15:37 (Better looking replay) JW gets outstanding separation coming out of his break to catch the ball for a 4th down conversion

So, you have one play from an entire game with speedy DBs, where, when targeted, JW could not get separation as the DB read the route and jumped it.

By the way, JW played games at Nebraska with three other QBs, besides Tommy, starting the game or having significant reps. His productivity did not seem to change in those games, so the whole "his roommate was his QB" argument does not see to hold water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users