McKewon: The Great Nebraska Talent Debate

Sam on Nebraska's recruiting classes that should be upperclassmen last/this year. Take the 10 minutes to read the whole thing.

The Great Nebraska Talent Debate is ongoing, of course, but the 2017 NFL draft was a major point for those who suggest Riley has done more than his critics think — more because the players aren’t as good as fans might believe.

Armed with a large senior class in 2016, NU still ended up with just one NFL draft pick.

Iowa had four. Wisconsin had three. Tennessee — which clearly had better football players than NU in the Music City Bowl — had six. Ohio State had seven — one year after having 12 in the 2016 draft!

Nebraska — again, with a large senior class — didn’t have that many elite players by comparison.

Neither did Oregon. The Ducks didn’t have any player picked in the 2017 draft. If you want to eyeball what happened under former coach Mark Helfrich after Chip Kelly left, well, there’s a clue.

At any rate, the Huskers weren’t elite in talent. They were, in fact, more talented the year before, when NFL draftees Andy Janovich, Alex Lewis, Maliek Collins and Vincent Valentine, who all played significant snaps as NFL rookies, were on the roster.

Nebraska won nine games last season with a roster that produced one NFL draft pick in 2017 and could very well produce one in 2018. For the 2017 season, NU may have just 29 scholarship upperclassmen — I expect it to be higher because walk-ons will be given scholarships.

If the Huskers win just seven or eight games under those circumstances — are you telling me you’d be surprised? Stunned? Ready for Riley’s blood?

Really?

There’s agenda and there’s plum fact.

Here’s plum fact.

The 2013 and 2014 recruiting classes — cobbled together, to some degree, in successive Januarys before Signing Day — have been a mess. A real mess.

• Fire 7

Well, it should be pretty easy to explain:

- new system, new coaches; acclimation period

- one hell of a lot of razor-close games

The interesting thing is the W/L causes a perception that the '15 team was so much worse than the '16 team. They weren't so far apart. Frankly, I think the '15 team might have the edge (though part of that is due to injuries causing the fade at the end of last year). What do you hate about such pieces?

• Fire 7

The interesting thing is the W/L causes a perception that the '15 team was so much worse than the '16 team. They weren't so far apart. Frankly, I think the '15 team might have the edge (though part of that is due to injuries causing the fade at the end of last year). What do you hate about such pieces?

The acclimation excuse is just that. An excuse that is 'easy' to throw out there while there are other coaches who inherited/took on new but some seriously bad teams actually only to have them miraculously do better. (Scott Frost, Jim Harbaugh) and that's just a few off the top of my head.

Also while Nebraska might have only had 1 player drafted this year (Nate Gerry) there are a number of guys who are also getting serious looks/interest and/or signed from/by NFL teams right now. (Dylan Utter, Michael Rose-Ivey, Brandon Reilly, Jordan Westerkamp, Josh Banderas, Cethan Carter, Sam Hahn, Alonzo Moore, T Armstrong, T Newby). To me the bottom line is Riley's teams have not been as talentless as McKewon makes them out to be and 2015 especially should never have been that bad.

• Fire 1

The acclimation excuse is just that. An excuse that is 'easy' to throw out there while there are other coaches who inherited/took on new teams only to have them miraculously do better. (Scott Frost, Jim Haraugh) and that's just a few off the top of my head. Also while Nebraska might have only had 1 player drafted this year there are a number of guys who are also getting serious looks/interest from NFL teams right now. For me the bottom line is Riley's teams have not been as talentless as McKewon makes them out to be and 2015 especially should never have been that bad.

uhhh, Michigan just put 11 players in the draft...
  • Fire 5

The acclimation excuse is just that. An excuse that is 'easy' to throw out there while there are other coaches who inherited/took on new teams only to have them miraculously do better. (Scott Frost, Jim Haraugh) and that's just a few off the top of my head. Also while Nebraska might have only had 1 player drafted this year there are a number of guys who are also getting serious looks/interest from NFL teams right now. For me the bottom line is Riley's teams have not been as talentless as McKewon makes them out to be and 2015 especially should never have been that bad.

So that means Nebraska only had 1 talented player on the entire team last year? Also comparing Nebraska to Michigan isn't the point and wasn't the point of the article....

So that means Nebraska only had 1 talented player on the entire team last year?

It means Michigan was still pulling in guys like Jabrill Peppers (who at one point was considered the top prospect in his class) before Harbaugh was even hired. Per 247, they had 25 four star players and 2 five stars between the '13 and '14 classes (17 of those fours stars being in '13!!). Compare that to our 9 four stars between the '13 and '14 classes (with only 2 of those guys in the '14 class). I get that stars don't mean everything, but come on.

To compare Riley's situation here to Harbaugh's Michigan tenure thus far is asinine.

• Fire 6

It means Michigan was still pulling in guys like Jabrill Peppers (who at one point was considered the top prospect in his class) before Harbaugh was even hired. Per 247, they had 25 four star players and 2 five stars between the '13 and '14 classes (17 of those fours stars being in '13!!). Compare that to our 9 four stars between the '13 and '14 classes (with only 2 of those guys in the '14 class). I get that stars don't mean everything, but come on.

To compare Riley situation here to Harbaugh's Michigan tenure thus far is asinine.

First off the article isn't comparing Michigan to Nebraska (you are) but if you want to go there and since it isn't obvious to you Brady Hoke couldn't do what Jim Harbaugh stepped in and did with the very same talent.

To compare Riley situation here to Harbaugh's Michigan tenure thus far is asinine.

First off the article isn't about comparing Michigan to Nebraska but if you want to go there then in case you couldn't figure it out Brady Hoke couldn't do what Jim Harbaugh stepped in and did with the very same talent.

you were the one who brought up michigan, and my point is that we don't have that kind of talent.
  • Fire 3

First off the article isn't about comparing Michigan to Nebraska but if you want to go there then in case you couldn't figure it out Brady Hoke couldn't do what Jim Harbaugh stepped in and did with the very same talent.

you were the one who brought up michigan, and my point is that we don't have that kind of talent.

You missed the point entirely (acclimation period) with my mentioning of Harbaugh but sure.

You missed the point entirely (acclimation period) with my mentioning of Harbaugh but sure.

I think they got your point. It's easier to acclimate when you have 11 nfl players on your roster as opposed to 1.

• Fire 6