Question for any car guys

Maybe drive around some small towns and look around. You might see one parked in the grass somewhere. Inquire if it might be for sale and if so the first thing to ask is whether the guy has a clean title. Too many nightmares about buying a vehicle without a title.

Ironic you should say that.

He actually now has found one in our home town. It's owned by a young guy that I don't know. I told him he needs to stop by and ask if he would be interested in selling it.

Nice thing is that I know it at least runs because I've seen it parked in several different positions. It's also owned by a maintenance guy at a large company so it's possible it's been well taken care of.

I have a brother who used to locate older vehicles parked and obviously unused for awhile. He would offer them $100 to haul it away and check it out to see what was the issue. He is very mechanical and many times would put brakes, a starter or battery and have a car he could sell for $750 to $1500. He made decent spare money doing this for years.

I pass this "buy here pay here " lot on the way to work everyday called Payless Auto in Omaha.

They have a fairly rough looking '78 Ford that runs and drives-- I'm assuming - since I've seen it in different spots on their lot . I like that era of truck too so I noticed it. There's pictures of it on their website and they want $1700.

http://www.paylessomaha.com/mobile/Vehicles.aspx?Guid=b6ad241c-5a80-4af9-906f-13407188301e&ClearAll=true

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

Ok. Here's an interesting question.

My son found and has purchased a 1984 chevy Scottsdale 4x4. It's in dang good condition.

Question. We were told that the block was replaced in 1994 or it came out of a 1994 truck. (Not sure which) in has a bad miss in the engine so we are going to start at the spark plugs and work out from there to more expensive solutions.

Here's the interesting part. What year of engine do you buy spark plugs for?

For the life of me I can not get in a position to see the block cast number.

You could look at the kind of plugs that are in it now. And cross reference them with the spark plug book at your parts store. :dunno:

If it's missing real bad you might try cleaning and gapping the plugs. If that doesn't work, maybe replace the spark plug wires too.

You could look at the kind of plugs that are in it now. And cross reference them with the spark plug book at your parts store. :dunno:

If it's missing real bad you might try cleaning and gapping the plugs. If that doesn't work, maybe replace the spark plug wires too.

yeah....we purchased spark plugs for the 350 and they appeared to be similar to what was in it and they fit. So, we are pretty sure we have a 350.

Some confusion came because the VIN number claims the truck originally had a 305. So, it actually was more of a question of block size than year of engine.

We changed the plugs and wires and it still has the miss. The previous owner claims a mechanic told him it was a burnt exhaust valve. I decided to take it to my main mechanic and have him just test it to see what he thinks. I'm guessing we will end up with a valve job.