The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

2 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

I also think Obama's legacy with whistleblowers is not a proud part of his overall legacy.

But forgive me If I don't care that Holder was held in contempt of Congress. That particular Congress had a nearly 50-seat GOP majority. They held 241 seats at that point. 238 Rs voted to hold him in contempt.  The contempt vote passed 255-67.

The hole thing was orchestrated by Darrell Issa, who is a man I absolutely loathe for being an utter partisan hack. The whole thing was a strictly an exercise in partisan politics. I no more trust Darrell Issa (or really any Republican) to carry out fair, impartial oversight than I think Fast & Furious was a good idea in the first place - which is not at all.

Regardless of partisan biases, Holder didn't turn over documents to Congress about an investigation into the DOJ he was leading. And that was one of the 3 reasons I gave for Holder being a lousy candidate. Also, Holder is a Wall St. guy in a time of populism - that's a recipe for disaster.

Holder would be about as good a candidate as Clinton was.

They (Obama, DNC, whoever) need to get it through their heads they need someone who independents and even some Republicans who hate Trump are willing to vote for.

Might as well have Pelosi run for president while we're at it. I don't even know that much about her, but it's enough to know she's loathed by most Republicans and that makes her a bad candidate.

Edited by Moiraine

One thing to keep in mind about independents is that the vast majority of them lean one way or another (87% of the public was either Dem/lean Democratic or GOP/lean Republican as of 2014).

This would indicate there are far fewer true centrists or fence-sitters out there. Future political candidates would probably be better served appealing to liberal or conservative ideologies rather than parties themselves - they'd reach a far broader swath of the voting public & repel fewer people by avoiding explicit appeals to a party.

Again, none of this really matters too much. I continue to believe single most important factor for any presidential candidate is charisma in the eyes of the voters. The rest is just details.

Edited by dudeguyy
  • Plus1 1
  • 2 months later...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/07/politics/nugent-democrats-media-advocates-rabid-coyotes/index.html

Nugent, a musician and National Rifle Association board member, made the remarks during a seemingly casual -- yet fiery -- interview with InfoWars host Alex Jones. During the interview, Jones -- a right-wing conspiracy theorist -- said he wanted to know why liberals hate America and "love communism."

"Don't ask why," Nugent said. "Just know that evil, dishonesty and scam artists have always been around and that right now they're liberal, they're Democrat, they're RINOs, they're Hollywood, they're fake news, they're media, they're academia, and they're half of our government, at least."

Nugent - Jones 2024

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

23 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The best thing that could happen for the GOP long term is for Trump not to win the nomination.

Honestly, impeachment might help them too. I can see a race against Pence being close.

Time to wash our hands of anyone associated wt the admin. The Repubs need to start clean.  Paul Ryan is stepping down and I think "Turtle" needs to step down in the senate as well or be voted out as Majority leader by members.

While I think Pence would be better than Trump and has tried to be the fly on the wall during all of the Trump turmoil, long term to see him is to see Trump.  The stain of trump is too hard to remove.  Pence's 'good loyal soldier' routine is getting too old as well.  He should have backed out when the Hollywood tapes came out - it would have thrown the election to Hillary and maybe he stayed in for the good of the party - but his continued silence is deafening.  He may know that Trump's days are numbered and in playing nice until he is sworn in as President.

I'm all for Kasich running in 2020.   Get another Govenor as VP or UN Ambassador "I don't get confused' Haley (the only Trump hold over worth keeping) as vp and run together against Trump.  Or of course there is always Evan  McMullin.  He may run against Trump also.  Maybe he and Kasich could run together. 

Bill KristolVerified account @BillKristol

After Nikki Haley defeats Trump for the GOP nomination in 2020, whom should she pick as her running mate

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Time to wash our hands of anyone associated wt the admin. The Repubs need to start clean.  Paul Ryan is stepping down and I think "Turtle" needs to step down in the senate as well or be voted out as Majority leader by members.

While I think Pence would be better than Trump and has tried to be the fly on the wall during all of the Trump turmoil, long term to see him is to see Trump.  The stain of trump is too hard to remove.  Pence's 'good loyal soldier' routine is getting too old as well.  He should have backed out when the Hollywood tapes came out - it would have thrown the election to Hillary and maybe he stayed in for the good of the party - but his continued silence is deafening.  He may know that Trump's days are numbered and in playing nice until he is sworn in as President.

I'm all for Kasich running in 2020.   Get another Govenor as VP or UN Ambassador "I don't get confused' Haley (the only Trump hold over worth keeping) as vp and run together against Trump.  Or of course there is always Evan  McMullin.  He may run against Trump also.  Maybe he and Kasich could run together. 

Bill KristolVerified account @BillKristol

After Nikki Haley defeats Trump for the GOP nomination in 2020, whom should she pick as her running mate

Was talking about this with some friends a few days ago, kind of a "Reset" for the party. We were hypothetically talking about the GOP running someone like Kasich or McMullin in the General simply to siphon votes away from Trump. I'm doubtful anything like that would happen as it would require the Dems to run a unifying candidate as well, which I'm not terribly confident in. 

50 --- yes 50 Dem names are being followed/monitored by the GOP as potential candidates in 2020 per this article

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/list-50-2020-dems-michelle-obama-disneys-iger-facebooks-sandberg

The potential candidates vying for the 2020 Democratic National Convention being watched and "listed" by the GOP has reached 50, and includes newcomers like Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and former 2016 nominee Hillary Clinton, who continues to hang on.

I do get a kick out of "Hillary... continues to hang on." This sentiment is broadly held across most conservative media.

It's also completely ridiculous. Yes, she happens to make the occasional public statement. It's generally results in squabbling among different groups on the left and attacks from the right.

I saw a piece the other day to the effect of "The GOP has discovered their plan for 2018 midterms: Hillary Clinton."

It's beyond laughably pathetic at this point. The right-wing so badly needs a boogeyman right now because they're so terrible at governance.

• Plus1 4

The Lugar Center studies the partisanship of members of Congress. Their recent report for 2017 is out and in what's probably a surprise to many is that Bernie Sanders was rated the least partisan (positive scores are partisan and negative scores are non-partisan):

Senate Democrats’ index score dropped by .19 points compared to 2015-16.  (This is on a scale where the most bipartisan Senator, Susan Collins (R, ME), scored +3.15 and the least bipartisan one, Sen. Bernie Sanders, who caucuses with Democrats, ranked -2.11.)

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The Lugar Center studies the partisanship of members of Congress. Their recent report for 2017 is out and in what's probably a surprise to many is that Bernie Sanders was rated the least partisan (positive scores are partisan and negative scores are non-partisan):

I never have had a problem with Bernie as a person or how he conducts politics.  I just don't agree with his proposed policies.

I wish I could say the same about more politicians.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I never have had a problem with Bernie as a person or how he conducts politics.  I just don't agree with his proposed policies.

I wish I could say the same about more politicians.  

That's a completely reasonable stance.

I was implying that people would be surprised that Bernie isn't a partisan Democrat policy-wise. (Maybe I'm wrong.)