The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

53 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That's a completely reasonable stance.

I was implying that people would be surprised that Bernie isn't a partisan Democrat policy-wise. (Maybe I'm wrong.)

I guess it depends on what you mean by a "partisan Democrat policy-wise".  

You can support liberal policies without being a partisan hack for the Democratic party.  You can support conservative policies without being a partisan hack for the Republican party.

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You can support liberal policies without being a partisan hack for the Democratic party.  You can support conservative policies without being a partisan hack for the Republican party.

Exactly. The link I gave is for how partisan each politician is to their own party, not to ideologies like liberalism or conservatism.

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wish more people understood this.

• Plus1 2

On 4/28/2018 at 6:00 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

You know who I want for President in 2020?  Almost literally ANYONE other than Trump.

You think Trump was a drunken mistake that Republicans might regret the next morning, but the same party elevated Ted Cruz and Ben Carson above a slew of less horrible candidates.

It's really hard to believe at this point, but Cruz and Carson could conceivably have been worse Presidents than Donald J. Trump. 

• Plus1 1

I hope Kasich runs again or someone like him.  The Repubs need a whole new field and including no Mike Pence - assumption is that Trump won't run.  If Trump is available to run - then I hope he is challenged in the primaries.   However, my gut tells me that repub voters are drunk on 'so much Trump winning' that they will continue in their delusion that this guy is a good thing for the party long term. 

• Plus1 1
On 5/2/2018 at 10:55 AM, TGHusker said:

I hope Kasich runs again or someone like him.  The Repubs need a whole new field and including no Mike Pence - assumption is that Trump won't run.  If Trump is available to run - then I hope he is challenged in the primaries.   However, my gut tells me that repub voters are drunk on 'so much Trump winning' that they will continue in their delusion that this guy is a good thing for the party long term. 

I think the Kasich team was thinking like I was in 2016: by simply hanging in there and looking reasonable, he could pick up the vast majority of votes from the primary opponents who'd dropped out, and orchestrate the groundswell of Republicans who were genuinely concerned about Trump being the face of the party. 

Well that didn't happen at all. Not even close. Kasich couldn't even leapfrog Ted Cruz.

That's why I don't really blame Trump for getting elected. He did everything he could to warn us. Republican voters had a choice -- several times -- and they went with the biggest a-hole in the room. 

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think the Kasich team was thinking like I was in 2016: by simply hanging in there and looking reasonable, he could pick up the vast majority of votes from the primary opponents who'd dropped out, and orchestrate the groundswell of Republicans who were genuinely concerned about Trump being the face of the party. 

Well that didn't happen at all. Not even close. Kasich couldn't even leapfrog Ted Cruz.

That's why I don't really blame Trump for getting elected. He did everything he could to warn us. Republican voters had a choice -- several times -- and they went with the biggest a-hole in the room. 

Agreed.

Kasich flaming out says a whole lot more about the state of the modern Republican party and its voters than it does Kasich.

• Plus1 2

40 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That and those in the race didn't care to read the tea leaves - either they consolidate under one person or they get picked off one by one by Trump. And that is what Trump did - starting wt calling Jeb names, the Ben, then Rand, then Rubio, Kasich and eventually Cruz   That large field allowed all the malcontents and altrighters to aleign wt Trump and pull off early primary victories - by then it was a free rolling freight train knocking everyone off the track.

24 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Agreed.

Kasich flaming out says a whole lot more about the state of the modern Republican party and its voters than it does Kasich.

agreed

• 2 weeks later...

I good article on why Pence won't be president (on his own outside of Trump being kicked out of office due to Mueller's investigation).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-pence-wont-president-090051310.html

George Will writes this scathing op-ed about Pence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-is-no-longer-the-worst-person-in-government/2018/05/09/10e59eba-52f1-11e8-a551-5b648abe29ef_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e2d7ae98171c

Beginning:

Donald Trump, with his feral cunning, knew. The oleaginous Mike Pence, with his talent for toadyism and appetite for obsequiousness, could, Trump knew, become America’s most repulsive public figure. And Pence, who has reached this pinnacle by dethroning his benefactor, is augmenting the public stock of useful knowledge. Because his is the authentic voice of today’s lickspittle Republican Party, he clarifies this year’s elections: Vote Republican to ratify groveling as governing.

Ending:

It is said that one cannot blame people who applaud Arpaio and support his rehabilitators (Trump, Pence, et al.), because, well, globalization or health-care costs or something. Actually, one must either blame them or condescend to them as lacking moral agency. Republicans silent about Pence have no such excuse.

There will be negligible legislating by the next Congress, so ballots cast this November will be most important as validations or repudiations of the harmonizing voices of Trump, Pence, Arpaio and the like. Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic. Pence is what he has chosen to be, which is horrifying.

• Plus1 2

Roger Stone, the long time Trump advisor/confidant/business friend, says Trump may not run in 2020 - if he thinks he's made 'America Great Again'.  However if he doesn't run,

Stone says he will recruit a candidate to oppose Pence / Haley in the primaries.  He thinks Pence is 'establishment' and Haley a war hawk.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/roger-stone-says-trump-may-not-run-in-2020-pledges-to-line-up-challenger-to-pence-haley-ticket

Meanwhile,  Stone is prepared for a Mueller indictment of some kind.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/roger-stone-prepared-mueller-indictment-n875796

“It is not inconceivable now that Mr. Mueller and his team may seek to conjure up some extraneous crime pertaining to my business, or maybe not even pertaining to the 2016 election,” Stone said. “I would chalk this up to an effort to silence me.”