Would B1G Welcome Oklahoma?

If I have good info, the Big 12 GOR expires in 2025. The Big Ten media deal ends in 2022. I would say that is close enough to announce a move by OU/KU to be in the Big Ten for the 2023-24 season. :lol:

You're correct. The Big XII GOR expires in 2025, and our deal in 2021-2022, which is more than close enough to work out a deal, especially since the Big XII can't get the votes necessary to extend the GOR.

Plus, if things become completely untenable, Oklahoma and X could negotiate an amicable early release from their GOR with the Big XII

• 2 weeks later...

If I have good info, the Big 12 GOR expires in 2025. The Big Ten media deal ends in 2022. I would say that is close enough to announce a move by OU/KU to be in the Big Ten for the 2023-24 season. :lol:

The GOR dissolves if the conference breaks up. So if a massive move of half the teams West happens for example, the GOR will die with the conference.

The GOR dissolves if the conference breaks up. So if a massive move of half the teams West happens for example, the GOR will die with the conference.

Which is very unlikely considering the media exposure and payout problems the PAC-12 has with their deal. Not impossible...just unlikely.

Plus, keeping the Big XII conference (and by extension, the GOR) alive is the only way the smaller schools can potentially stick it to the schools that do leave for greener pastures.

• 4 weeks later...

New article on ESPN related to this discussion.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19743196/why-2023-next-big-date-conference-shuffling

"Why 2023? It starts with expiring TV contracts. The ACC and SEC both have long-term media grant-of-rights agreements, running through 2035-36 and 2033-34, respectively. But the other three Power 5 conferences have agreements ending roughly around the same time (the SEC's Tier 1 deal with CBS runs through 2023-24). The Big Ten last summer opted for a shorter agreement with Fox and ESPN, which runs through 2022-23. The Pac-12 deal expires after the 2023-24 sports year, and the Big 12's ends the following year."

The article noted that the PAC12 may be struggling......

"The Pac-12's forecast, meanwhile, is less encouraging, and its revenue gap with other Power 5 leagues will widen before the next rights negotiation. Cal's athletic department lost $21.7 million in the 2016 fiscal year. Although the Pac-12's geography and tradition suggests members won't be looking to leave, something needs to shift before 2023."

Brings back that notion of the Big Ten and PAC-12 scheduling agreement that they backed out of a few years ago which helped push the BIg10 into picking up Maryland and Rutgers.

• Fire 1

Pac 12 officially lost all hope of getting Texas and OU with the new discriminatory state travel ban in California

Que?

what-you-talkin-bout-will.jpg

Google California travel ban

Here is one article. Added 4 more states, one was Texas. I don't really know the details. I saw a headline but figured it was symbolic.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/us/california-travel-ban/index.html

"Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Tennessee were the original states banned by AB 1887, but Becerra added Alabama, Kentucky, South Dakota and Texas on Thursday"

Personally from the football perspective I've always preferred Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas vs "available" ACC teams, just never seen that certain spark and popularity in ACC that you see with those Big12 teams. Also have a soft spot for Oki lite because of the man in my gif, but thats a damn long shot. Of course Texas , Oklahoma and Kansas would be a huge score, not only by taking B1G from the Atlantic to the Gulf creating the largest continuous conference coverage in the country but of course with the major $$$ increase. I would not be surprise bar any general rights revenue collapse B1G payouts topping 65+ mill per team.

• 2 weeks later...

Pac 12 officially lost all hope of getting Texas and OU with the new discriminatory state travel ban in California

I wouldn't say that--there's always the hope that a slightly more sane Texas Legislature comes to their senses and overrides this stupidity.

I wouldn't say that--there's always the hope that a slightly more sane Texas Legislature comes to their senses and overrides this stupidity.

*California. This isn't a Texas law

No, Texas. California's travel ban is in response to the asinine Trans Bathroom bill that was passed in Texas. Once Texas rescinds or otherwise nullifies the bill, California will open travel back up to Texas.

• Fire 1

No, Texas. California's travel ban is in response to the asinine Trans Bathroom bill that was passed in Texas. Once Texas rescinds or otherwise nullifies the bill, California will open travel back up to Texas.

yep you are right. My bad!

However, this post is about OU and not politics. I wish we would just get expansion over with and grab KU/OU for the 2019 season. I would love the schedule and matchups, and getting to play NU every other year. Waiting 4 years is too long!