Donald Trump's Gigantic Brain

Drop examples of our leader's unsurpassed intellectual prowess here.

From a Time interview excerpted in Jalopnik (emphasis belongs to author):

You know the catapult is quite important. So I said what is this? Sir, this is our digital catapult system. He said well, we’re going to this because we wanted to keep up with modern [technology]. I said you don’t use steam anymore for catapult? No sir. I said, “Ah, how is it working?” “Sir, not good. Not good. Doesn’t have the power.

You know the steam is just brutal. You see that sucker going and steam’s going all over the place, there’s planes thrown in the air.”

It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it’s very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out. And I said–and now they want to buy more aircraft carriers. I said what system are you going to be–”Sir, we’re staying with digital.”

I said no you’re not. You going to goddamned steam, the digital costs hundreds of millions of dollars more money and it’s no good.

Guy should have been an engineer. We're so lucky he's running things instead. Military, stop it with all your technology.

• Fire 1

From his interview with The Economist

Interviewer: Priming the pump?

Trump: Yeah, have you heard it?

Int: Yes.

Trump: Have you heard that expression used before? Because I haven’t heard it. I mean, I just … I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good. It’s what you have to do.

Int: It’s …

Trump: Yeah, what you have to do is you have to put something in before you can get something out.

• Fire 1

Priming The Pump:

There's a very odd -- and telling -- moment in President Trump's interview with The Economist released Thursday morning.

TRUMP: We have to prime the pump.
ECONOMIST: It's very Keynesian.
TRUMP: We're the highest-taxed nation in the world. Have you heard that expression before, for this particular type of an event?
ECONOMIST: Priming the pump?
TRUMP: Yeah, have you heard it?
ECONOMIST: Yes.
TRUMP: Have you heard that expression used before? Because I haven't heard it. I mean, I just...I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good. It's what you have to do.
Trump, quite clearly, believes he came up with the phrase "prime the pump." Or at least that he is the first person to use it in regards the potential kick-starting effect of tax cuts on an economy.
Not so, according to the increasingly cheeky Twitter account of the Merriam Webster Dictionarythat noted shortly after Trump made the claim that "the phrase 'priming the pump' dates to the early 19th century," adding: "'Pump priming' has been used to refer to government investment expenditures since at least 1933."
  • Fire 1

That Time article is full of quality quotes.

But in a short period of time I understood everything there was to know about health care. And we did the right negotiating, and actually its a very interesting subject.

• Fire 2

Merriam-Webster's trolling of Trump on Twitter is one of things helping make his presidency bearable. They're great, and they also hammer the press secretaries pretty good when they say something stupid.

Here's an old favorite:

Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

Does he have any idea what Keynesian means?

It "primes the pump" through *increased* spending.

Ha ha! That's a Laffer! :lol:

You get all the economics points today!

I'm glad *somebody* got it! :lol: