• 2 months later...

My son is 6 and just getting into video games on my phone. We're thinking about getting a console for him for Christmas and I'm leaning towards the Switch mainly because Nintendo has historically been good for kid-friendly content. What's everyone's thoughts on the Switch vs other consoles for kids?

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

My son is 6 and just getting into video games on my phone. We're thinking about getting a console for him for Christmas and I'm leaning towards the Switch mainly because Nintendo has historically been good for kid-friendly content. What's everyone's thoughts on the Switch vs other consoles for kids?

I don't know a lot about it yet but if I were you I would look into the Wii U as well and even the regular Wii. They'll have more games. And on the Wii U you can download old nintendo games (Wii down to Nintendo) and use a Wii remote for the Wii games that require you to move the remote around.

We have a Wii U and you can do 4 player Mario Kart.

49 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't know a lot about it yet but if I were you I would look into the Wii U as well and even the regular Wii. They'll have more games. And on the Wii U you can download old nintendo games (Wii down to Nintendo) and use a Wii remote for the Wii games that require you to move the remote around.

We have a Wii U and you can do 4 player Mario Kart.

Thanks.

We have a Wii that he's starting to play but we wanted to upgrade to something more current. And all the reviews I've seen have said the Switch is far better than the Wii U.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Thanks.

We have a Wii that he's starting to play but we wanted to upgrade to something more current. And all the reviews I've seen have said the Switch is far better than the Wii U.

Admittedly we've only had the Switch for 3 days, heh. And don't plan on playing anything but Splatoon 2 for several months at least. I wonder what the Wii U reviews are about. Maybe the giant controller? I can't see that as being easy for a 6 year old to handle. It's heavy and huge. Anyhow - both Splatoon games are pretty awesome.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:59 PM, RedDenver said:

Thanks.

I have both a WiiU and Switch, and I'd suggest going with the latter. I have a 4 year old and a 9 year old that both adore the system and use it without any issues. The 9 year old could use the WiiU without problem, but not so for the 4 year old.

IMO, the Switch UI is better (faster, cleaner) the unit is fully portable (so you can buy a car charger and take the Switch with you), and frankly, the majority of the WiiU titles that did well or had strong critical response are making the leap to the Switch in an upgraded form (e.g. Mario Kart 8 EX, Pokken Tournament DX, Splatoon 2) or are rumored to be ported rather soon (Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Super Smash Brothers, Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker are all rumored titles that have had strong hits for future ports).

Also, the Switch is set to outsell the WiiU install base in less than a year (likely this Holiday season), which means you'll start seeing more AAA titles being ported over. There's even been rumblings of games like Overwatch and Diablo 3 being ported over (the former would need a downgrade of certain assets in order to maintain speed and fluidity though). And Nintendo has been rather indie-friendly, so there's already a lot of good games available on their marketplace. 

Anyway, just my $.02. 

• Plus1 2

Coming out with a subscription service for $20/year that will include classic games

Online play for Switch games will be free until the full service comes online in 2018, at which point players will need to pay for membership in order to access online multiplayer. One month’s subscription will cost $3.99, with three months running to $7.99, and a year’s membership available for $19.99. In addition to multiplayer access, subscription also opens up eShop deals, meaning members will get money off new games bought through Nintendo’s digital download platform.

Also included in that fee is access to classic games from Nintendo’s back catalog, updated with multiplayer support and playable on the new console. Nintendo had originally indicated that these games would only be available for download for a month at a time, similar to Sony’s PlayStation Plus service, but the company today confirmed to Kotaku that all the games under this umbrella would be available for all subscribers in a library. “Users can play as many of the games as they want, as often as they like, as long as they have an active subscription,” a spokesperson told the publication.

It’s not clear exactly which of Nintendo’s retro games will be available down the line, but the company references Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario on its site. At launch, the classic library will only include NES games, but Nintendo says it’s considering bringing over SNES games too at some point in the future.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/1/15727548/nintendo-switch-online-20-dollars-a-year

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Coming out with a subscription service for $20/year that will include classic games

Online play for Switch games will be free until the full service comes online in 2018, at which point players will need to pay for membership in order to access online multiplayer. One month’s subscription will cost $3.99, with three months running to $7.99, and a year’s membership available for $19.99. In addition to multiplayer access, subscription also opens up eShop deals, meaning members will get money off new games bought through Nintendo’s digital download platform.

Also included in that fee is access to classic games from Nintendo’s back catalog, updated with multiplayer support and playable on the new console. Nintendo had originally indicated that these games would only be available for download for a month at a time, similar to Sony’s PlayStation Plus service, but the company today confirmed to Kotaku that all the games under this umbrella would be available for all subscribers in a library. “Users can play as many of the games as they want, as often as they like, as long as they have an active subscription,” a spokesperson told the publication.

It’s not clear exactly which of Nintendo’s retro games will be available down the line, but the company references Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario on its site. At launch, the classic library will only include NES games, but Nintendo says it’s considering bringing over SNES games too at some point in the future.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/1/15727548/nintendo-switch-online-20-dollars-a-year

I'm more interested in what they're going to do with the previous VC; when upgrading from Wii to Wii U, you were able to port most of the games you purchased on the Wii VC to Wii U. 

I am super interested in the possibility of playing class multiplayer games online, though, like the original Super Mario Kart, Star Fox 64, etc. They need to figure out something better for voice chat, though. 

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

This isn't VC though--this is a Nintendo charging for their online service, and instead of giving folks free games already in their store (a la XBL and PSN), Nintendo will be revisiting classic titles and adding online multiplayer to them, and giving them out to folks that shell out for their online service for free.  

And Virtual Console titles didn't show up on the WiiU until six months after launch. We're not six months out from the Switch's launch...figure Nintendo has until the end of September to give us something concrete and fully detail if our prior purchases will carry over. 

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

They need to figure out something better for voice chat, though. 

C'mon, you don't want to use a dongle and your own mobile device to talk to friends? :D 

Seriously, that's the one big messup with the Switch IMO--no baked in voice chat. Hell, it already has Bluetooth connectivity--just support Bluetooth headsets only and run it through your OS, Nintendo. It's not like your OS is so convoluted that you'll take a performance hit supporting this.

• Plus1 1