** 2017 Opponent Previews: Minnesota (Game 10) **

CollegeFootballNews: Can P.J. Fleck Make Minnesota A Champion?

Is P.J. Fleck the spark who can take Minnesota to an extra level, or is this going to be a bit of a step back to possibly take a giant leap forward? Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys were on to something. It was a good plan – run well, play great defense, win the turnover battle, find recruits who fit the system, repeat. The problem, though – before Claeys was fired after supporting the players who protested with a horribly ill-informed boycott threat over the suspensions of a few teammates following a sexual assault scandal – was that Minnesota was following the Wisconsin plan, but Wisconsin was and is doing it a whole lot better.

Had Claeys still been the head man, and if there weren’t the problems that kicked in at the end of last season, Minnesota might have been seen as one of those teams that might just sneak up on everyone and do something special. However, while the program was building to the point where it might have been on the very of being really, really close to great, it also had the feel of being the try-hard type that one year might be in Big Ten title contention, and the next year – if there were a slew of injuries or bad breaks – could easily be fighting for some bottom-feeder bowl appearance.

And in comes Fleck, who’s sort of the anti-Kill/Claeys.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/preview-2017-minnesota-p-j-fleck-ready-to-row-to-a-big-ten-title

2017 Minnesota Preview: What You Need To Know

2017 Minnesota Schedule Breakdown & Analysis

Athlon Sports: Minnesota 2017 Preview & Prediction

The Gophers went 9–4 and beat Washington State 17–12 in the Holiday Bowl last season, but this year’s squad could take a step back. Fleck’s team will face a harder schedule, as Michigan essentially replaces Rutgers on the slate.

There’s also uncertainty with a lack of experience at quarterback and a lack of depth along the offensive and defensive lines as well as in the secondary. If they can shore up those questions and can get past Oregon State in Corvallis on Sept. 9, a 5–0 mark is attainable heading into the home game against Michigan State on Oct. 14.

Fleck has a track record for taking teams to unforeseeable heights. He took Western Michigan from 1–11 in 2013 to back-to-back 8–5 campaigns before a breakthrough to 13–1 and a Cotton Bowl berth against Wisconsin in 2016.

National Ranking: 50

Big Ten West Prediction: 5

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/minnesota-football-2017-golden-gophers-preview-and-prediction

SBNation: P.J. Fleck’s first Minnesota team is a Big Ten West wildcard. This will be fun.

The fired-up coach’s Gophers could contend right away.

Fleck has a schtick. He might be the most outwardly energetic coach in football. It’s not for everybody, and depending on whom you talk to, it might have prevented him from a more marquee job. But in recruiting, motivation, tactics, and buy-in, he proved about as much as he possibly could’ve in Kalamazoo. The results were there. And while the Minnesota roster thinned, “countless transfers” did not occur.

The BIg Ten West race has an interesting shape this offseason. There’s a clear leader, two clear bottom teams, and who-the-hell-knows in between. Take Athlon, for instance: its preview ranks Wisconsin 10th, Purdue and Illinois deep into the 80s, and the four other teams between 41st and 54th.

My own projections are similar: Wisconsin 11th, Illinois 85th, Purdue 87th, and the other four between 37th and 48th. Three clear tiers. Northwestern’s experience could make the Wildcats a top-30 team, Nebraska has more upside than its rivals but is replacing two-thirds of last year’s offense, and Fleck’s culture change makes Minnesota a high-variability team within that cluster.

Projected 2017 record and S&P+ ranking: 7-5 (47th)

Biggest strength: In tackles Steven Richardson and Andrew Stelter and linebackers Jonathan Celestin and Blake Cashman, the defense’s backbone is experienced and exciting.

Biggest question mark: There are depth issues everywhere you look — defensive end, defensive back, wide receiver, quarterback, etc. How badly the injury bug bites (and where) will dictate Minnesota’s expectations.

Biggest 2017 game: Whatever Minnesota’s goals are for 2017, it gets a lot harder if the Gophers don’t beat Michigan State at home on Oct. 14.

Summary: Fleck’s first Gophers will be sturdy, thin, and capable of anything between 3-9 and 9-3. But be it as a spoiler or contender, Minnesota’s dangerous enough to play a role in the Big Ten West race.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/29/15867490/minnesota-gophers-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster

More to come...

• Fire 1
  • 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dienhart: 5 things I learned at Minnesota fall practice

1. The quarterback job remains a work in progress.

2. There is potential at wideout.

3. I like the d-line.

4. The offensive line was thin in the spring, but I like its potential now.

5. The running back spot is loaded.

Quarterbacks Conor Rhoda and Demry Croft remain in a battle to replace Mitch Leidner. Each is a nice athlete and able to extend the play, with Croft having a slight edge. Each needs to become a better passer. Being decisive and avoiding turnovers are vital to P.J. Fleck. If I was forced to make a decision today, I think I would go with Croft. He is a bit more accurate and he can extend plays behind a line that may spring some leaks. Fans will notice that this offense goes at a quicker pace the recent Minnesota attacks. Either way, whoever wins the job, both guys will see action.

• Plus1 2
On 8/20/2017 at 2:48 PM, Norhusker said:

I think P.J. Fleck is a huge upgrade for the gophers. It will take time though translating this into more total wins. recruiting wins, etc  If the gophers overachieve which could likely happen, then I foresee him taking a better job the next couple of years or so. 

Fully agree.  I really like P.J. Fleck.  I've been watching Being P.J. Fleck and it's been thoroughly enjoyable to watch.  I really admire the guy.

On 8/27/2017 at 11:57 AM, BlitzFirst said:

Minnesota Returns 4 on defense.  ouch.  Should be much better than Nebraska because, PJ Fleck.

Returning starters doesn't mean that much this year, because the previous regime was substitution-happy.  For instance, Blake Cashman was a human highlight film and led the team in sacks, but wasn't a starter.  The skinny on the D is that the LBs are the strength, the secondary looks like a weakness, and the D line is kind of a mystery - could be great or could be mediocre, depending on how the youths come along.

• Plus1 2

Watched this game last night, some take aways I had:

Granted it was week 1 - defense didn't look stellar, especially in pass game. I think a nice efficient pass game with a respectable run game would handle them fine

Shannon Brooks is still a load

They have one real receiving threat Tyler Johnson

QB play is suspect

Only got 1 sack on defense, was expecting a lot more