** 2017 Opponent Previews: Ohio State (Game 7) **

Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer told BTN of one critical change we can expect from the Buckeye offense with Kevin Wilson now in charge.

Ohio State is going to rev up the pace.

Will it make the Buckeyes even harder for the Huskers to catch?

"When Tom Herman was here (from 2012-14), he introduced us to the (fast) tempo because that's something I've never been an expert at," Meyer said. "We dabbled in it at Florida. But now we want to go fast. We want to play fast, and I have two guys, Kevin Wilson and (quarterbacks coach) Ryan Day -- that's part of their DNA.

"So, even when we're not going fast, we're going fast. And I like that."

OWH

Does this benefit or hinder JT Barrett this season? Will be very interesting to see their offense under Wilson.

I think it will benefit him. Much like when he was under Herman his RS freshman season (2014).

Thanks for your input. Are most OSU fans pretty confident with Barrett as your QB? Are there any other real candidates or is Barrett OSU's only true option at QB?

Only thing you need to remember is 19 straight home night game victories. Could be off by 1 or 2.

Those games, in reverse chronological order

'16 Minnesota

'16 Northwestern

'16 Fresno State

'15 #6 Michigan State

'15 South Alabama

'14 Illinois

'14 Miami

'14 Fresno State

'13 Wyoming

'12 Michigan

'12 Wisconsin

'11 Ohio State

'11 Fresno State

'10 Kansas

'10 South Dakota State

'10 Western Kentucky

'09 Kansas State

'09 Oklahoma

'09 Louisiana Lafayette

'09 Florida Atlantic

Not that I do not think Memorial Stadium under the lights is a distinct advantage, but that stat has very, very, very little to do with Ohio State. Our four best wins out of that long streak were Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin.

Michigan State was a legit win over a top 10 team. Michigan was ranked #20 at the time, but went 8-5 and played most of the game with their garbage backup quarterback. Ohio State also played a decent amount with their garbage backup, and had a losing season. Wisconsin demolished us later in the year, but finished as an unranked 8-6 team.

• Fire 1

Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer told BTN of one critical change we can expect from the Buckeye offense with Kevin Wilson now in charge.

"When Tom Herman was here (from 2012-14), he introduced us to the (fast) tempo because that's something I've never been an expert at," Meyer said. "We dabbled in it at Florida. But now we want to go fast. We want to play fast, and I have two guys, Kevin Wilson and (quarterbacks coach) Ryan Day -- that's part of their DNA.

OWH

Does this benefit or hinder JT Barrett this season? Will be very interesting to see their offense under Wilson.

I think it will benefit him. Much like when he was under Herman his RS freshman season (2014).

Thanks for your input. Are most OSU fans pretty confident with Barrett as your QB? Are there any other real candidates or is Barrett OSU's only true option at QB?

I think most fans are confident in Barrett but have bought into the notion that he can't throw the deep ball. Since Beck has been replaced with Wilson, we will see this year if some of his regression over the past season was coaching or not. I think the higher pace will help with his decision making because he does tend to think too much and usually does better when the pace is faster.

Of course there are vocal fans that think the backups are better than the starter. However, I would feel very confident if Joe Burrow or Dwayne Haskins had to play for Barrett. I think both would start at many other schools but Barrett is the starter.

• Fire 1

Only thing you need to remember is 19 straight home night game victories. Could be off by 1 or 2.

Memorial Stadium is a great atmosphere and I am sure it will be rocking on 10/14. Nebraska will have a great home field advantage but Ohio State has played in venues like this before so they will be ready.

Memorial Stadium is a great atmosphere and I am sure it will be rocking on 10/14. Nebraska will have a great home field advantage but Ohio State has played in venues like this before so they will be ready.

This is a really nice way to say...

we gonna get jailsexed

• Fire 1

we gonna get jailsexed

I don't know. I think it will be within 14 points going into the 4th qtr.

'16 Minnesota

'16 Northwestern

'16 Fresno State

'15 #6 Michigan State

'15 South Alabama

'14 Illinois

'14 Miami

'14 Fresno State

'13 Wyoming

'12 Michigan

'12 Wisconsin

'11 Ohio State

'11 Fresno State

'10 Kansas

'10 South Dakota State

'10 Western Kentucky

'09 Kansas State

'09 Oklahoma

'09 Louisiana Lafayette

'09 Florida Atlantic

Not that I do not think Memorial Stadium under the lights is a distinct advantage, but that stat has very, very, very little to do with Ohio State. Our four best wins out of that long streak were Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin.

Michigan State was a legit win over a top 10 team. Michigan was ranked #20 at the time, but went 8-5 and played most of the game with their garbage backup quarterback. Ohio State also played a decent amount with their garbage backup, and had a losing season. Wisconsin demolished us later in the year, but finished as an unranked 8-6 team.

I'm thinking it'll be about like the 2008 home night game against Mizzou...

we gonna get jailsexed

I don't know. I think it will be within 14 points going into the 4th qtr.

You're sweet...

'16 Minnesota

'16 Northwestern

'16 Fresno State

'15 #6 Michigan State

'15 South Alabama

'14 Illinois

'14 Miami

'14 Fresno State

'13 Wyoming

'12 Michigan

'12 Wisconsin

'11 Ohio State

'11 Fresno State

'10 Kansas

'10 South Dakota State

'10 Western Kentucky

'09 Kansas State

'09 Oklahoma

'09 Louisiana Lafayette

'09 Florida Atlantic

Not cool, never bring that game up.

'16 Minnesota

'16 Northwestern

'16 Fresno State

'15 #6 Michigan State

'15 South Alabama

'14 Illinois

'14 Miami

'14 Fresno State

'13 Wyoming

'12 Michigan

'12 Wisconsin

'11 Ohio State

'11 Fresno State

'10 Kansas

'10 South Dakota State

'10 Western Kentucky

'09 Kansas State

'09 Oklahoma

'09 Louisiana Lafayette

'09 Florida Atlantic

Sorry.

*Puts hands in pockets, looks at the ground and kicks a small rock nearby*

• Fire 3

'16 Minnesota

'16 Northwestern

'16 Fresno State

'15 #6 Michigan State

'15 South Alabama

'14 Illinois

'14 Miami

'14 Fresno State

'13 Wyoming

'12 Michigan

'12 Wisconsin

'11 Ohio State

'11 Fresno State

'10 Kansas

'10 South Dakota State

'10 Western Kentucky

'09 Kansas State

'09 Oklahoma

'09 Louisiana Lafayette

'09 Florida Atlantic

Sorry.

*Puts hands in pockets, looks at the ground and kicks a small rock nearby*

ba3e1c7e52a1274519ce046685a0dc75.gif

• Fire 1

Here's to hoping we look back on this game as the one that helped us turn the corner back to national title contender... and also the game that gave urban more health concerns causing him to re-evaluate coming out of retirement. It will all happen eventually- why not now?

• Fire 2

OWH

I think most fans are confident in Barrett but have bought into the notion that he can't throw the deep ball. Since Beck has been replaced with Wilson, we will see this year if some of his regression over the past season was coaching or not. I think the higher pace will help with his decision making because he does tend to think too much and usually does better when the pace is faster.

Of course there are vocal fans that think the backups are better than the starter. However, I would feel very confident if Joe Burrow or Dwayne Haskins had to play for Barrett. I think both would start at many other schools but Barrett is the starter.

Yeah a co worker of mine who's a big OSU fan and alum basically said the same thing. That sometimes he'll just miss the easiest of throws or your wide receivers will get open deep but Barrett will overthrow them. He did add the obvious that Barrett does have the athleticism and isn't a sitting duck back there. I forgot all about Joe Burrow. It would be cool to see him get some PT this year. Great post.

OWH

Yeah a co worker of mine who's a big OSU fan and alum basically said the same thing. That sometimes he'll just miss the easiest of throws or your wide receivers will get open deep but Barrett will overthrow them. He did add the obvious that Barrett does have the athleticism and isn't a sitting duck back there. I forgot all about Joe Burrow. It would be cool to see him get some PT this year. Great post.

People will always clamor for the instate kid to play. In this case, with Joe Burrow being the backup QB and from Ohio, whenever JT throws his first INT or if OSU loses a game (GASP!) there will be a vocal bunch wanting Burrow. There should be a fun QB competition between Burrow, Haskins, and Martell next year.