Trumps Education Reform

Make that three of us.

The poor, the hungry, the sick, the destitute, the children, single mothers, those with special needs, those already saddled with great debt, those who want to protect our environment...

These are the people who must pay through the nose to finance tax cuts? And we call ourselves the greatest nation on the face of the Earth?

• Fire 1

This is what the people wanted right? This is what they voted for?

At least Hillary isn't President.....

:sarcasm

On a serious note, If this passes, I'm curious to see what it does to small towns with parochial schools. For example, West Point, NE. I'm pretty sure West Point CC is already bigger than West Point-Beemer High. What happens when even more people choose to go to CC rather than public? Or what happens when those currently paying tuition can redirect their tax money? Those tax dollars will leave the public school system and I'd assume public schools would be left to wither away. Nothing like seeing "progress" when your alma mater is boarded up and torn down...

Small town people have a hard enough time with consolidation.

On a serious note, If this passes, I'm curious to see what it does to small towns with parochial schools. For example, West Point, NE. I'm pretty sure West Point CC is already bigger than West Point-Beemer High. What happens when even more people choose to go to CC rather than public? Or what happens when those currently paying tuition can redirect their tax money? Those tax dollars will leave the public school system and I'd assume public schools would be left to wither away. Nothing like seeing "progress" when your alma mater is boarded up and torn down...

I am not sure what would happen. That is interesting though.

I pray to God that this thing doesn't pass through Congress. Here's an NPR article outlining the proposed budget cuts.

*Student Loans

*Medicaid

*School Choice

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/05/22/529534031/president-trumps-budget-proposal-calls-for-deep-cuts-to-education

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you vote for Trump?

No. I was against Hillary but I did not vote for Trump.

West Point-Beemer is much larger than GACC.

By more than double. May not be that way for much longer though.

That article suggested (and I've read elsewhere) that small towns are likely to bear the brunt of this set of policies. Many of them already had a hard enough time with funding.

This is much the same with his proposed cuts to Medicaid and food stamps. Poorer, rural areas will be hardest hit.

The irony is that those are the most pro-Trump areas.

West Point-Beemer is much larger than GACC.

By more than double. May not be that way for much longer though.

I was just going off of my memory from when I was in high school 18 years ago before West Point and Beemer consolidated. WPCC was C-1 and I want to say WPHS was class D.

I hope more than anything that this sad episode in our nation's history will help us with making choices in the future. We aren't always presented with ideal (far from it, sometimes!) options. But even then there might be one really clear right answer, such as not electing an incompetent, unhinged maniac intent on hurting people to support his own power.

• Fire 1

If private schools are smart, they will reject vouchers. Govt money usually comes with strings

As it should.

I would have less of a problem with school vouchers (albeit still a really big problem with it) if private schools who accepted the vouchers were required to take on special education students, show progress of student learning, and also take on a certain percentage of low income at-risk students.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

I find this interesting.

The Borrower Defense Rule was adopted by the Obama administration last November and had been set to take effect this month. It was created to make it "simpler for students at colleges found to be fraudulent to get their loans forgiven," as NPR's Ed team has reported.

So....we have a rule that makes it easier for the government to forgive loans for people who spent money at a fraudulent college. I cringe at that simply for the fact that it takes the personal responsibility away from these people to do what they can to make sure they are paying to attend an actual college. Did the federal government somehow sanction these fake colleges? Did they license or advertise that these colleges were legitimate? What part of this gives us the cause that the US tax payers should be footing the bill?

Does the government then go after these fraudulent colleges for the money?

However, at the same time, you have this rule postponed by an administration lead by someone who is in major lawsuits for actually running a fraudulent college.

Was this rule somehow helping the plaintiffs in the Trump case?