The Ultimate NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Twitter Rankings

The Ultimate NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Twitter Rankings

Below, find a list of Twitter handles for each of the NCAA’s Division I institutions, ranked by number of followers. It will come as a surprise to few which teams sit atop the list: by-and-large they are the royalty of women’s college volleyball. The top 6 teams by follower count have combined to win 10 of the last 11 NCAA Championships and 20 titles overall. The notable laggards are UCLA, who have just shy of 9,000 followers in spite of 4 team titles, including one in the Twitter era (2011).

On the flip side, the team without a national title that has the most followers is Wisconsin, who ranks 4th with 26,800. Michigan, at 7th, has 15,100 – with just 1 final 4 appearance on their resume, and Purdue impressively ranks 9th with 14,400 followers in spite of never having made an appearance in the national semi-finals or finals.

The overall queens are Nebraska, who have more than twice as many titles as the next-closest team, Penn State. Nebraska has won 4 NCAA titles and Penn State 7 – including 4 consecutive from 2005-2010, when Twitter was in its infancy. Penn State launched their Twitter account in May 2009, as did Nebraska.

Nebraska’s followers count is almost as big as that of their men’s basketball team (76,300). Nebraska women’s volleyball doesn’t only turn out online, but in person too: they drew an average of 8,210 fans to each home game (which is 103% of their officially-listed stadium capacity for women’s volleyball).

The Big Ten has nine of the top 25, not surprisingly.

72LnG6Y.png

• Fire 2