The Alt-Right

Apologies if there's a thread for this already.

Today's hate crime in Portland -- a deranged man enthralled by the alt-right and caught up in anti-Muslim fervor killed two men who attempted to intervene as he hurled abuse towards Muslim women -- seems to have caught the attention of Richard Spencer, who offers a Twitter response spanning eight heartfelt tweets.

Spencer condemns the man but dismisses him as a one-off lunatic. He knows this alt-right member's actions stain his movement and he's putting in some earnest legwork to remind us all that we should distance and dissociate criminals from the movements that spawned them. "Mentall illness is real", he pleas, glass-eyed.

He follows by turning his ire towards #BLM, people associated with which have committed crimes of various sorts. "None dare", asserts Spencer, attribute these actions to "BLM ideology". Notwithstanding the blatant falsehood in that statement, here's the real gem: his unironic RT of the following immediately preceding his attempt to wash the Alt-Right's hands of this galling crime:

A few tweets down, another RT, this time of a 2050 fantasy of what America will look like: https://twitter.com/FashyMatthias/status/868101595539668992 (Spoiler alert: white. And male.)

DAwdj15XUAAE6rK.jpg

Don't be snowed by the sweet talk and the bullsh#t. We can't be blind to what these people believe and are working for.

• Fire 2

Just watching United Shades of America series this weekend ... I missed the first season so I'm starting from scratch. Watched a good overview of BLM that everyone should watch. Also a great one on native americans.

He does a great job, sadly the people that could most benefit from his in depth reporting and digging into culture and groups that are not fully understood, and that are often mischaracterized will never turn this on. There's one in season one where he goes to a klan meeting that I'm excited to see tomorrow.

I'm anxious to see his first episode this year - it's with this nozzle Spencer. During his interview on NPR Bell said he was expecting the racism but was shocked by the misogyny at their "Alt Right" meeting.

wow.....maybe those student protests drove her off the deep end

2f4f695de3f9413aa7715f5bab9a0b06.png

Nah, Ann Coulter is just stupid.

Or rather, sensationalist. She'll say whatever gets her attention. I don't think any of these right-wing media types believe the BS they spew.

doesn't matter if they believe it or not. their legions of followers do buy into that BS and that is where the danger is

wow.....maybe those student protests drove her off the deep end

2f4f695de3f9413aa7715f5bab9a0b06.png

Nah, Ann Coulter is just stupid.

Or rather, sensationalist. She'll say whatever gets her attention. I don't think any of these right-wing media types believe the BS they spew.

Ever see the episode of the Boondocks that portrayed Ann Coulter?

(FYI, NSFW)

I've always thought that's how most of those talking heads are. Even though they may not believe what they spew, there's plenty of rubes that do.

• 2 weeks later...