What would be your response if Oklahoma and Texas join our conference

The two things I got from the post are 1) a sarcastic suggestion that Nebraska is the good guys because we took chances on these kids, and 2) that Michigan's student-athlete academics aren't great. I might have missed some tongue in cheek element of that, but if I was dissecting it correctly, neither of those sentiments is particularly accurate.

At the same time, HailtotheVictor's false compliment to Texas for upholding academic integrity is also bogus. Texas didn't lead the charge to do away with partial qualifiers because of academic integrity (even though UT-Austin is another incredible academic school) -- they did it because the juggernaut program of the conference was benefitting so much from it, and everyone voted with them because they were tired of Nebraska dominance.

Academic All-American status is still a fairly worthless metric, nonetheless. All a player needs for it is to be a starter or get a lot of playing time and maintain a 3.3 GPA. a 3.3 at one school doesn't equal a 3.3 at another.

What their intention was does not matter because it could not be proven either way.

If Texas allowed you to have partial qualifiers the BIG would have stopped them when you joined the conference is what I am saying

I came here knowing you have bad blood with Texas but I thought that your reasons in being so anti Texas were not so self serving

The partial qualifer factor was a major hit because in case you didn't know, Nebraska is not a talent rich state.

But take that out of it. We were in talks to combine our Big 8 conference with the 8 SWC schools, basically both round robin winners would meet to crown a champion and OU-UT could be a permanent crossover matchup. But Texas, looking out for Texas, did not want TCU, UH and SMU coming with. So they backdoored their way in and screwed those 3 over. Started making demands that were met like the partial qualifiers. Moved everything to Texas, HQ and Championship game mind you. And of course saw their game with OU as far more important and got the yearly OU-NU game to become a 2 on 2 off matchup.

Our struggles since the late 90's are our own. Bad hires and complacency led to this current rut. But I feel comfortable saying Texas coming in when they did and doing what they did played a fairly large role in it as well.

Didn't the Big XII title game rotate for most of the conference's history

I understand the hate when the Big XII basketball tournament moved from Kemper Arena because of the history of the tournament but prior to the Big XII there was no championship game in the Big 8 for football

Wouldn't saving the Oklahoma game for Nebraska help your fellow North schools by giving them more Texas exposure because Nebraska was guaranteed at least one Oklahoma game a year

I apologize if this comes out harsh but I see Nebraska finding scapegoats for their problems.

Not harsh. Just willfully misinformed (i.e. not even attempting to read what people are telling you about what happened).

How would you feel if Michigan started dominating everyone (including OSU) and the Big Ten invited Team X to join. Then Team X convinced Every. Single. Team. to vote against Michigan on Every. Single. Vote?

I'm talking 16-1 against Michigan on every conference vote that matters at all.

Then several years down the line the conference championship game was permanently moved to a stadium in Team X's state. This state is very far away and not centrally located.

Oh, and Michigan doesn't play Ohio State every year anymore. Team X plays Ohio State every year.

'Cause that's what happened.

Texas will do everything they can to drag down the top tier programs to make things easier and better for themselves. They will pit OSU against Michigan politically for the benefit of Texas. They will never have the good of the conference in mind. Texas is all that matters to them.

• Fire 8

^ yup, exaxtly

I get that it's hard for a Michigan guy to understand since Michigan is more relatable to OU and UT. But it's pretty easy to see how Texas only cares about Texas and doesn't care what they ruin as long as they get what they want.

Grab Oklahoma and Oklahoma state and call it good

I would love this living in Tulsa. I'd be able to see the Huskers close by again.

I'd love to see Okla in and Kansas - for basketball. If we allow OK in and Texas, well then maybe our admin would get a clue and put out the bucks for a coach that can compete - year in and year out. I like what MR is doing in trying to grow the program - this year we'll see what he does wt his QB, and he has improved recruiting. BUT I don't think we get to the top level when we have to compete wt money machine Texas and consistent winner in Oklahoma. if Texas and Ok join, we have to up our game big time or decide to be content wt middle of the pack. I CAN'T BE THAT CONTENT!

But to the discussion at hand.

I want Oklahoma in this league. It would really beef up our division and add some serious strentgh to the league overall. We could renew our yearly rivalry and let bygones be bygones. Iowa could go back to playing Wiscy at the end of the season like they should anyways. Win win for all.

Texas. It would be largely successful for the Big Ten. It would generate A LOT of instant must see TV. It would make the West Division (or southern pod depending how teams would be divided) a force. It would open recruiting WIDE up. But....Texas is a cancer. I don't want them near our new home. We left to get away from them, the last thing I want is them taking our top bunk

Give me Kansas and let Oklahoma decide between playing Okie Lite and Texas every year and staying on a sinking ship, OR joining Nebraska and cementing a solid spot for themselves for years to come and probably still getting to at least play Okie State every year.

If it wasn't for Texas ending partial qualifiers I do not see Nebraska playing in this conference

The BIG believes in academics and we would not want a university who says academics do not matter in regards to student athletes.

Truthfully I respect Texas wanting to uphold academic integrity

These other things like moving conference HQ, owning referees and moving championship games that I have seen Texas being accused of is something different but for them to so they had to have others to agree to their demands

I just do not see this happening in this conference

Thing I do not on this topic being mentioned is that Texas is using all the conferences against each other but for them to have the power to so was only allowed by the 4 universities who left the Big 12 and gave Texas and to a lesser extent Oklahoma this great hand to play

Oh come on. One thing I dislike about the Big Ten is its arrogance. Let's be real. If the Big Ten really cared about academics as much as you want to believe, Nebraska wouldn't have been invited at all. Our school doesn't carry any academic prestige that would be attractive to the Big Ten. The reason you wanted us was because our atheltic brand still carries weight which leads to more money for the conference. All this money helped you hire your man Harbaugh to bring you back to relevance. There is an awful lot of UT attitude in your posts. You ask for our opinions on Texas and you got them. Nebraska was probably the most powerful program in the country when Texas joined and they still took over. We didn't join your prestigious conference for the academics, we were running from the wasteland created by Texas. You might be too arrogant to think it couldn't happen to you, but we have enough evidence to know that we don't want to be anywhere near them.

• Fire 3

I'd welcome OU. Texas has been nothing but trouble everywhere they have been. They are arrogant, think they deserve the best, and have always been greedy with resources in their conferences. Their fans are all or nothing. When they win the fans come out in droves, Texas gear everywhere, trash talking other teams. When they lose all the gear goes in the closets and they struggle to sell tickets at games. Would they fit the big 10 academically? Yes. Would they help bring in money and a new TV market, yes. Would they fit in the conference? Yes.

But everyone would hate them about as much as everyone hates Ohio State.

Didn't the Big XII title game rotate for most of the conference's history

I understand the hate when the Big XII basketball tournament moved from Kemper Arena because of the history of the tournament but prior to the Big XII there was no championship game in the Big 8 for football

Wouldn't saving the Oklahoma game for Nebraska help your fellow North schools by giving them more Texas exposure because Nebraska was guaranteed at least one Oklahoma game a year

I apologize if this comes out harsh but I see Nebraska finding scapegoats for their problems.

Okay, fine if you think all this Longhorn hatred by Husker fans is due to sour grapes. So let's take an example that has nothing to do with Nebraska. The Longhorn Network. The Big 12 would be doing fine without the likes of Nebraska--except for the deal Texas cut with espn to form the Longhorn Network. The LHN is terrible for the Big 12, and turned out to be terrible for espn too. But the Longhorns are making out like bandits on that deal. And Texas is going to keep riding that profitable horse until it drives either the B12 or espn into the ground. LINK

UT's self serving deal for the Longhorn Network is typical of the kind of conference partner that Texas would be.

• Fire 6

Kind of. Arrowhead held a bulk of them, but Jerryworld was becoming the permanent host site.

No the Big 8 had no title game...we had a game with Oklahoma to end the season...

Not sure what you were trying to say about saving the Oklahoma game. Having one Oklahoma game a year is what we wanted. If you're insisting that Oklahoma State was an adequete replacement as our "Oklahoma game" it would be like Ohio State playing Michigan for 2 years then Michigan State for 2 years. OU was our only real rival, it was our annual Thanksgiving weekend game. And OU bailed on that to make Texas happy.

Texas ruined the SWC, Big 8 and is almost done ruining the Big 12 and we are looking for a scapegoat? I said above, which you must have missed, that most of our on field problems are our own fault with poor hires and complacency setting in due to laziness by a couple staffs. Texas coming in the self serving way that they did when they did hust doubled down on our own problems. So yes, our issues with them are of course self serving. But we also dislike how they persuaded the other teams we were in league with for decades and turned them against us, eventually pushing us out the door. And when we said screw it, all those teams that were so happy to see power pulled from us begged us to stay. They made their Texas bed and can lie in it.

Kind of. Arrowhead held a bulk of them, but Jerryworld was becoming the permanent host site.

No the Big 8 had no title game...we had a game with Oklahoma to end the season...

Not sure what you were trying to say about saving the Oklahoma game. Having one Oklahoma game a year is what we wanted. If you're insisting that Oklahoma State was an adequete replacement as our "Oklahoma game" it would be like Ohio State playing Michigan for 2 years then Michigan State for 2 years. OU was our only real rival, it was our annual Thanksgiving weekend game. And OU bailed on that to make Texas happy.

Texas ruined the SWC, Big 8 and is almost done ruining the Big 12 and we are looking for a scapegoat? I said above, which you must have missed, that most of our on field problems are our own fault with poor hires and complacency setting in due to laziness by a couple staffs. Texas coming in the self serving way that they did when they did hust doubled down on our own problems. So yes, our issues with them are of course self serving. But we also dislike how they persuaded the other teams we were in league with for decades and turned them against us, eventually pushing us out the door. And when we said screw it, all those teams that were so happy to see power pulled from us begged us to stay. They made their Texas bed and can lie in it.

Besides Omaha what city or area of the country has the largest Nebraska alumni group

For all the Big 12 Southschools it was Dallas

I am thinking for a lot of Big 12 North schools they had as many alumni in Texas than their surrounding cities

When Arlington TX became the host for the championship game Kansas City became the permanent host for basketball

Maybe the problem was that universities like KU and even to a lesser extent ISU valued basketball more than football

If it wasn't for Texas ending partial qualifiers I do not see Nebraska playing in this conference

The BIG believes in academics and we would not want a university who says academics do not matter in regards to student athletes.

Truthfully I respect Texas wanting to uphold academic integrity

These other things like moving conference HQ, owning referees and moving championship games that I have seen Texas being accused of is something different but for them to so they had to have others to agree to their demands

I just do not see this happening in this conference

Thing I do not on this topic being mentioned is that Texas is using all the conferences against each other but for them to have the power to so was only allowed by the 4 universities who left the Big 12 and gave Texas and to a lesser extent Oklahoma this great hand to play

Oh come on. One thing I dislike about the Big Ten is its arrogance. Let's be real. If the Big Ten really cared about academics as much as you want to believe, Nebraska wouldn't have been invited at all. Our school doesn't carry any academic prestige that would be attractive to the Big Ten. The reason you wanted us was because our atheltic brand still carries weight which leads to more money for the conference. All this money helped you hire your man Harbaugh to bring you back to relevance. There is an awful lot of UT attitude in your posts. You ask for our opinions on Texas and you got them. Nebraska was probably the most powerful program in the country when Texas joined and they still took over. We didn't join your prestigious conference for the academics, we were running from the wasteland created by Texas. You might be too arrogant to think it couldn't happen to you, but we have enough evidence to know that we don't want to be anywhere near them.

Even at your highest level in the mid 90's I doubt Nebraska was the most powerful football program around

What happened according to what I see on here Texas and Oklahoma were more powerful

If I remember correctly Nebraska was all for unequal revenue sharing when they were at the top

Texas is one big "HELL NO". They have ruined two conferences, why in the hell would we want them in the B1G???

With Oklahoma, I guess I could be OK with it....but, it would make me throw up in my mouth a little.

They hitched their train to Texas when they worked behind the scenes to undermine the Huskers and form the new Big 12. When it was falling apart, their AD flat out stated....."We will go where Texas goes". It's pretty clear who the dominatrix is in the relationship.

My first choice would be to watch both of them burn in a pool of swine feces.

Now, if the B1G would some how allow OU in but not Texas, I could get back into the Nebraska/OU rivalry.

What if Texas would join without Oklahoma because of T Boone in the Oklahoma legislature and the Texas legislature forcing Texas to bring Texas Tech

Would Nebraska go West to the PAC with KU, OU and Okie State

Even at your highest level in the mid 90's I doubt Nebraska was the most powerful football program around

Hmmm...
Yaaaa....lost some cred with that one.

Problem with that I see is that if Nebraska was the most powerful football program around at that time then Texas could not have pushed you around.

One of your statements have to be incorrect or quite possibly both of them

Texas was either not the one to blame or they were actually more powerful than you during the mid 90's