What would be your response if Oklahoma and Texas join our conference

Even at your highest level in the mid 90's I doubt Nebraska was the most powerful football program around

Hmmm...
Yaaaa....lost some cred with that one.
Problem with that I see is that if Nebraska was the most powerful football program around at that time then Texas could not have pushed you around.

One of your statements have to be incorrect or quite possibly both of them

Texas was either not the one to blame or they were actually more powerful than you during the mid 90's

You do realize they didn't do it alone.....right????

• Fire 2

Power of playing for four national titles in five years with the combined score of those games as Nebraska 144, Opponents 74

htgdzGn.jpg

Power of being fortunate enough to have the game determined to be over while desperately clinging to a 5 point lead with two seconds remaining:

BkaFmBpCMAA_qqV.jpg

• Fire 7

To be fair to our self-aggrandizing friend, I think he means power in a loosely political sense. In which case, he'd be quite right, we have never and will never match the power of Texas, what with their oil money and their arrogance. Texas college football has determined actual elected representatives for goodness sake.

For the purposes of honest discussion, I am a Texas alum/fan, so when reading this, keep that in mind.

My conference realignment prediction is as follows. I don't believe Texas will be able to join the Big 10 as I do not imagine a way that we are able to untangle ourselves from Texas Tech. To that point, I don't see how Oklahoma gets away from Ok State, but that's an Oklahoma government issue. So, it's my belief that Texas, Tech, OU and Ok State end up in the Pac-12 as a pod.

To the thread at large:

1) Texas did not end the Southwest Conference. Arkansas legend Frank Broyles did that on a golf course in Alabama with SEC commission Harvey Schiller in 1988.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2003/12/20031208/Special-Report/Arkansas-Pleased-With-Decade-Old-Move-To-SEC.aspx

The Southwest Conference, of which Arkansas had been a member since the league was founded in 1914, was in trouble. League attendance in football was down and a divide had formed between the league's large state schools and its smaller private schools. By the 1980s, it became apparent the league's problems weren't getting better, so Broyles got permission from his president to look elsewhere.

"The [professional teams in Texas] changed it," Broyles said. "They started coming in in the early '60s and started taking away the entertainment dollar, newspaper space and the fans."

Broyles recalls meeting then SEC Commissioner Harvey Schiller in Birmingham, Ala., in 1988 over a round of golf to tell him that if Arkansas were to receive an invitation from the SEC, it would accept immediately. "Doug Dickey [Tennessee's AD at the time] went there with me and we acted like we were there to talk about other issues," Broyles said.

2) Texas did not end the Big 12, an off hand comment by Jim Delaney did that. The moment Delaney mentioned conference expansion, Missouri threw up its skirt like a slut on prom night and begged to join.

Missouri's desire to leave spooked both Colorado and Nebraska. Larry Scott of the Pac-10 seized the chance as he wanted a shiny, new TV deal as he was a shiny, new commissioner. Scott moved on Colorado and then put out the word that the Pac-10 was open for business.

3) To Nebraska's credit, Tom Osborne was a much better deal maker than Missouri's Mike Alden. Osborne saw a great opportunity for Nebraska and he seized it in the hopes of moving the Cornhuskers forward. Selfishly, I miss playing Nebraska and being in a conference with you and I wonder how much you miss a yearly game in Texas that Nebraska used for recruiting purposes.

4) Texas was ready to move to the Pac-10 with Colorado, OU, Ok State, Tech and A&M, but A&M nixed that deal. Thus, the Pac-10 move was killed.

5) Spring of 2011, the Longhorn Network was supposed to be a joint venture between Texas and A&M, but A&M didn't want to put the money into a venture it felt wouldn't pay off. When ESPN came back with a $300 million offer, A&M freaked, former Husker AD $Bill freaked, Bowtie Bowen freaked and most importantly, the A&M fanbase freaked. The SEC then came calling, A&M tucked tail and ran away, Missouri was still smarting from the Osborne spanking and they jumped at the SEC offer.

6) Right now, Texas is stuck in a dead conference that has zero sex appeal and no way to get away from Tech. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

About the Texas-Nebraska relationship in the Big 12.

1) I never understood why Nebraska was upset about moving the conference HQ to Dallas. Dallas buys and sells Kansas City, everybody reading this knows it, why not have your HQs in the city with the most money in your territory? SEC is dealing with that issue now as forces really want to move the HQ from Birmingham to Atlanta. Remains to be seen if it happens.

2) The conference title football games moved between North and South until 2009, when Jerryworld came on-line. Bottom line, having the game in that stadium yearly was worth significantly more money to the conference. Of course, that became academic after 2010 when the conference lost membership.

3) The decision to get rid of partial qualifiers hasn't been said accurately on this thread. Each athletic department was allowed to take 2 a year for men and women, they just couldn't take 2 football players and they couldn't take a football player in back to back years. That Nebraska was so against this was surprising as the vast majority of players that made up the 93-97 teams were full qualifiers that were fantastic players. Nebraska's downfall had more to do with HS offenses going away from ground based/option attacks that produced Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost and Eric Crouch.

4) The Big 12 made two huge mistakes, a) not maintaining the Neb-OU game as an annual game and b) turning down a conference network in 2009. Texas played no huge part in the ending of the OU-Neb game and the only school that said yes to the conference network was Colorado if I am not mistaken. Kudos to Boulder.

5) The biggest crime that Texas committed against Nebraska was consistently beating Nebraska and that's the truth of it.

Even at your highest level in the mid 90's I doubt Nebraska was the most powerful football program around

Hmmm...
Yaaaa....lost some cred with that one.

Problem with that I see is that if Nebraska was the most powerful football program around at that time then Texas could not have pushed you around.

One of your statements have to be incorrect or quite possibly both of them

Texas was either not the one to blame or they were actually more powerful than you during the mid 90's

You're confusing football power with university status.

• Fire 1

For the purposes of honest discussion, I am a Texas alum/fan, so when reading this, keep that in mind.

My conference realignment prediction is as follows. I don't believe Texas will be able to join the Big 10 as I do not imagine a way that we are able to untangle ourselves from Texas Tech. To that point, I don't see how Oklahoma gets away from Ok State, but that's an Oklahoma government issue. So, it's my belief that Texas, Tech, OU and Ok State end up in the Pac-12 as a pod.

To the thread at large:

1) Texas did not end the Southwest Conference. Arkansas legend Frank Broyles did that on a golf course in Alabama with SEC commission Harvey Schiller in 1988.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2003/12/20031208/Special-Report/Arkansas-Pleased-With-Decade-Old-Move-To-SEC.aspx

The Southwest Conference, of which Arkansas had been a member since the league was founded in 1914, was in trouble. League attendance in football was down and a divide had formed between the league's large state schools and its smaller private schools. By the 1980s, it became apparent the league's problems weren't getting better, so Broyles got permission from his president to look elsewhere.

"The [professional teams in Texas] changed it," Broyles said. "They started coming in in the early '60s and started taking away the entertainment dollar, newspaper space and the fans."

Broyles recalls meeting then SEC Commissioner Harvey Schiller in Birmingham, Ala., in 1988 over a round of golf to tell him that if Arkansas were to receive an invitation from the SEC, it would accept immediately. "Doug Dickey [Tennessee's AD at the time] went there with me and we acted like we were there to talk about other issues," Broyles said.

2) Texas did not end the Big 12, an off hand comment by Jim Delaney did that. The moment Delaney mentioned conference expansion, Missouri threw up its skirt like a slut on prom night and begged to join.

Missouri's desire to leave spooked both Colorado and Nebraska. Larry Scott of the Pac-10 seized the chance as he wanted a shiny, new TV deal as he was a shiny, new commissioner. Scott moved on Colorado and then put out the word that the Pac-10 was open for business.

3) To Nebraska's credit, Tom Osborne was a much better deal maker than Missouri's Mike Alden. Osborne saw a great opportunity for Nebraska and he seized it in the hopes of moving the Cornhuskers forward. Selfishly, I miss playing Nebraska and being in a conference with you and I wonder how much you miss a yearly game in Texas that Nebraska used for recruiting purposes.

4) Texas was ready to move to the Pac-10 with Colorado, OU, Ok State, Tech and A&M, but A&M nixed that deal. Thus, the Pac-10 move was killed.

5) Spring of 2011, the Longhorn Network was supposed to be a joint venture between Texas and A&M, but A&M didn't want to put the money into a venture it felt wouldn't pay off. When ESPN came back with a $300 million offer, A&M freaked, former Husker AD $Bill freaked, Bowtie Bowen freaked and most importantly, the A&M fanbase freaked. The SEC then came calling, A&M tucked tail and ran away, Missouri was still smarting from the Osborne spanking and they jumped at the SEC offer.

6) Right now, Texas is stuck in a dead conference that has zero sex appeal and no way to get away from Tech. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

About the Texas-Nebraska relationship in the Big 12.

1) I never understood why Nebraska was upset about moving the conference HQ to Dallas. Dallas buys and sells Kansas City, everybody reading this knows it, why not have your HQs in the city with the most money in your territory? SEC is dealing with that issue now as forces really want to move the HQ from Birmingham to Atlanta. Remains to be seen if it happens.

2) The conference title football games moved between North and South until 2009, when Jerryworld came on-line. Bottom line, having the game in that stadium yearly was worth significantly more money to the conference. Of course, that became academic after 2010 when the conference lost membership.

3) The decision to get rid of partial qualifiers hasn't been said accurately on this thread. Each athletic department was allowed to take 2 a year for men and women, they just couldn't take 2 football players and they couldn't take a football player in back to back years. That Nebraska was so against this was surprising as the vast majority of players that made up the 93-97 teams were full qualifiers that were fantastic players. Nebraska's downfall had more to do with HS offenses going away from ground based/option attacks that produced Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost and Eric Crouch.

4) The Big 12 made two huge mistakes, a) not maintaining the Neb-OU game as an annual game and b) turning down a conference network in 2009. Texas played no huge part in the ending of the OU-Neb game and the only school that said yes to the conference network was Colorado if I am not mistaken. Kudos to Boulder.

5) The biggest crime that Texas committed against Nebraska was consistently beating Nebraska and that's the truth of it.

Missouri's desire to move didn't spook Nebraska. Texas, and the rest of their contingent's, backroom dealings with the Pac 10 spooked Nebraska. Nebraska feared being left behind and jumped at the opportunity to move to the Big 10. Brilliant move.

You are right about the OU/NU game. Texas had nothing to do with that and younger NU fans either haven't learned that fact or refuse to. I saw a lot of posts above praising OU when it was OU who chose UT over us. They chose to play UT every season for recruiting purposes, but left us behind. I won't forgive them for that.

Why does the HQ have to be in the city with the most money? What does that accomplish? Nothing. The issue is that you guys joined our conference after yours was ruined. Many factors ruined it, and Texas wasn't an innocent bystander. UT came to us, hat in hand, and was accepted. Then, after being let in, UT began throwing their weight around to the point where the football title game was played exclusively in Texas and the HQ was moved there for no other reason than UT wanted it that way. Nebraska got tired of Texas' my way or the highway attitude and hit the highway. And we're better for it.

The partial qualifiers tiff had everything to do with hurting Nebraska's football team.

• Fire 5

Missouri's desire to move didn't spook Nebraska. Texas, and the rest of their contingent's, backroom dealings with the Pac 10 spooked Nebraska. Nebraska feared being left behind and jumped at the opportunity to move to the Big 10. Brilliant move.

We were getting information that Tom Osborne was moving Heaven and Earth in Chicago to get Nebraska into the Big 10. But it wasn't until Mizzou balked at paying the conference fee to update the signage that Nebraska seized control. Mizzou hesitated, Nebraska wrote a check. Thus, Nebraska got the invite.

You are right about the OU/NU game. Texas had nothing to do with that and younger NU fans either haven't learned that fact or refuse to. I saw a lot of posts above praising OU when it was OU who chose UT over us. They chose to play UT every season for recruiting purposes, but left us behind. I won't forgive them for that.

Whatever the reason of cancelling the yearly game between OU-Nebraska, it was a massive mistake. The Big 12 lost a premier game and the conference couldn't afford to do that, we just didn't know it in 1996.

Why does the HQ have to be in the city with the most money? What does that accomplish? Nothing.

The entire thing is about money. The Big 10 will play the title game in Indy, but the HQ will remain in Chicago. Why? Because Chicago is the 3rd largest city in America and the amount of money in that town is too large to ignore. Proximity drives relationships, relationships drove sponsorships and sponsorships drive revenue. Again, that's all that matters.

The issue is that you guys joined our conference after yours was ruined. Many factors ruined it, and Texas wasn't an innocent bystander. UT came to us, hat in hand, and was accepted.

Cut the crap. The Big 8 couldn't get a TV deal, regardless of how successful the conference was. After SEC expansion and Big 10 expansion, the Big 8 was getting left behind in TV revenue. They needed TV sets and guess which state in your time zone had TV sets?

So, please, don't act like you did us a favor, we both did what we needed to get paid.

Then, after being let in, UT began throwing their weight around to the point where the football title game was played exclusively in Texas and the HQ was moved there for no other reason than UT wanted it that way.

Again, if you can't understand why it's better to a conference in Dallas than Kansas City, then you probably think it would be better for the Big 10 to be in Omaha instead of Chicago.

Nebraska got tired of Texas' my way or the highway attitude and hit the highway. And we're better for it. The partial qualifiers tiff had everything to do with hurting Nebraska's football team.

Nebraska lost every single vote 11-1 during the formation of the conference. Texas didn't get all 11 votes, we only got 1. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, the other seven Big 8 members got tired of Nebraska and saw that the changes the conference wanted to make were the right ones? Obviously, we didn't get everything right or the conference would have survived. But again, let's not act like the entire demise of the Big 12 is due to the forces of evil in Austin. Nebraska benefitted dollar for dollar for every move that the conference made and then Nebraska got a better deal. I applaud the Huskers for it.

We were getting information that Tom Osborne was moving Heaven and Earth in Chicago to get Nebraska into the Big 10. But it wasn't until Mizzou balked at paying the conference fee to update the signage that Nebraska seized control. Mizzou hesitated, Nebraska wrote a check. Thus, Nebraska got the invite.

Whatever the reason of cancelling the yearly game between OU-Nebraska, it was a massive mistake. The Big 12 lost a premier game and the conference couldn't afford to do that, we just didn't know it in 1996.

Why does the HQ have to be in the city with the most money? What does that accomplish? Nothing.

The entire thing is about money. The Big 10 will play the title game in Indy, but the HQ will remain in Chicago. Why? Because Chicago is the 3rd largest city in America and the amount of money in that town is too large to ignore. Proximity drives relationships, relationships drove sponsorships and sponsorships drive revenue. Again, that's all that matters.

The issue is that you guys joined our conference after yours was ruined. Many factors ruined it, and Texas wasn't an innocent bystander. UT came to us, hat in hand, and was accepted.

Cut the crap. The Big 8 couldn't get a TV deal, regardless of how successful the conference was. After SEC expansion and Big 10 expansion, the Big 8 was getting left behind in TV revenue. They needed TV sets and guess which state in your time zone had TV sets?

So, please, don't act like you did us a favor, we both did what we needed to get paid.

Then, after being let in, UT began throwing their weight around to the point where the football title game was played exclusively in Texas and the HQ was moved there for no other reason than UT wanted it that way.

Again, if you can't understand why it's better to a conference in Dallas than Kansas City, then you probably think it would be better for the Big 10 to be in Omaha instead of Chicago.

Nebraska got tired of Texas' my way or the highway attitude and hit the highway. And we're better for it. The partial qualifiers tiff had everything to do with hurting Nebraska's football team.

Nebraska lost every single vote 11-1 during the formation of the conference. Texas didn't get all 11 votes, we only got 1. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, the other seven Big 8 members got tired of Nebraska and saw that the changes the conference wanted to make were the right ones? Obviously, we didn't get everything right or the conference would have survived. But again, let's not act like the entire demise of the Big 12 is due to the forces of evil in Austin. Nebraska benefitted dollar for dollar for every move that the conference made and then Nebraska got a better deal. I applaud the Huskers for it.

Probably some of the most logical and cordial responses. Sad thing is, you're still gonna get roasted by the masses on this site. Definitely appreciate the effort, but the pent up frustration and bitterness some people have for the state and UT is actually quite amazing.

It's far from what I would call "cordial." But yeah a lot of people blame Texas for the wrong things. The big 12s current state is on the southern teams however. The first news to break was about all the southern teams joining the PAC 10. That started the whole thing, none of the other teams really had any reason to look elsewhere before that.

• Fire 1

To be fair to our self-aggrandizing friend, I think he means power in a loosely political sense. In which case, he'd be quite right, we have never and will never match the power of Texas, what with their oil money and their arrogance. Texas college football has determined actual elected representatives for goodness sake.

This is exactly what I meant. I meant powerful in terms of prestige and "brand" as a whole. I think the amount of power we had was a major influence on why the other Big 8 schools went along with UT. I feel they were trying to bring us back to the field without recognizing the negative long term effects their decisions would make on their own universities. Regardless, if you can't recognize 90s Nebraska being "powerful" in any sense of the word, then you are just here to troll.

• Fire 1

It's far from what I would call "cordial." But yeah a lot of people blame Texas for the wrong things. The big 12s current state is on the southern teams however. The first news to break was about all the southern teams joining the PAC 10. That started the whole thing, none of the other teams really had any reason to look elsewhere before that.

Actually, you are wrong about this point. Although the bitterness and power struggles between conference members pre-dates the re-alignment talk, Our Texas friend stated correctly that Delaney's statements about Big Ten expansion was the first domino. Missouri's Governor then made some dumb public statements about possibly wanting to join. Colorado also used this as an excuse to probe interest in the PAC-10 right after that. Nebraska was also probing interest in the Big Ten, but so was Texas.

Really, Nebraska was on the fence about where to go (and still did not have a guaranteed invite) at the time of the Big 12 meetings June 1-3, 2010. The ultimatum they received from Texas and Dan Beebe was not well received. Also remember that the big story of the PAC-10 inviting 6 schools broke just prior to these meetings. It turned out to be a bluff for all but Colorado:

Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne asked if Missouri or Colorado left, would the other six stay in the Big 12. Those six said yes.

But when the six were asked if they would stay if both MU and CU left, there was no commitment.

Here's a lengthy account of the whole series of events:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/a-look-back-at-how-nebraska-bucked-the-big-texas/article_2cc6f044-0fe1-11e5-b86b-335d8975719f.html

In the end, it wasn't money that NU was looking for, it was stability. Luckily, the B1G had both.

While I don't care for the LHN, keep in mind that NU was very close to forming its own version of something like that. Oklahoma was considering it as well. It was Missouri, Colorado and TAMU that were the most P!ssed off about it. Texas didn't run off Nebraska with the LHN, but it did play a big hand in round 2 of the Big 12's demise. Typical Texas dick move.

Here's another quote from that article:

On Wednesday, Perlman talked by phone with Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe. The conversation didn’t go well.

Perlman was told that he needed to make an “unequivocal, total commitment” to stay in the Big 12 through at least 2016. (That date is key because that is when the Big 12’s current ABC/ESPN broadcast deal expires).

“Neither Tom nor I thought that was a very long-term commitment to the Big 12,” Perlman said. “And we thought that our obligation to the University of Nebraska was to protect it from the vulnerabilities of being without a conference altogether.”

So much for the idea that Nebraska was a premier member of the Big 12. The Huskers hardly could have been big-timed more than they were in the past 10 days.