Most Peaceful Nations Rankings - Not so Great Again

No country with such an insane gun fetish, glamorizing of war, and large enough nationalist/populist demographic will ever be anywhere near the top of a list described as 'peaceful'.

Many Americans think peaceful places like Iceland, Canada, Sweden, etc., are soft pansy-asses.

Depends on the definition of peaceful certainly. We are the most peace promoting and preserving nation (that 'matter' in terms of world influence) in history. In a violent world filled with literally a billion or more non peaceful people with the will and the means to breach the peace, there must be peacemakers willing to make every attempt to keep and or restore the peace when peace is lost.

Iceland, for example, is populated by a tiny fraction of less than 1% of the world's population, isolated by water and barely involved in the rest of the world's activities. No difficult to say Iceland is peaceful in a simplistic sense but I am not sure I can recall even a single instance of when, where or how Iceland helped to make the rest of the world more peaceful in a significant way.

No matter how many wars and conflicts and other events, activites and campaigns the United States has been involved in since its founding, the millions of Americans who have fought and defended the basic human rights of freedom and self determination and individual and national security have saved a hundred fold more in the process. America has sacrificed beyond measure, for its own survival and that of the betterment of the rest of the planet, including Iceland, directly or indirectly. Has every step taken and every action carried out in the name or expressed intention of making the world a better, safer, more peaceful place, been right? No way. But, on balance, we have done more to promote peace than any other population in history. We represent only a few percent of the population and yet have done more than all others combined. That is the most meaningful definition of peaceful in my view.

• Fire 1

We are the most peace promoting and preserving nation (that 'matter' in terms of world influence) in history.

The Chinese, Roman Empire, and any number of other nations that were around longer than the US have better claims to that status than we do.

• Fire 1

We are the most peace promoting and preserving nation (that 'matter' in terms of world influence) in history.

The Chinese, Roman Empire, and any number of other nations that were around longer than the US have better claims to that status than we do.

The Roman Empire's peace was peace through bloody conquest of any dissent...

• Fire 2

MMMM........don't think so.

The Roman Empire was brutal and conquered many nations on their way to be a dominant power. They then ruled over them with a very severe iron fist.

The Chinese didn't build the great wall because everyone was living peacefully in la la land.

The Roman Empire's peace was peace through bloody conquest of any dissent...

MMMM........don't think so.

The Roman Empire was brutal and conquered many nations on their way to be a dominant power. They then ruled over them with a very severe iron fist.

The Chinese didn't build the great wall because everyone was living peacefully in la la land.

And how exactly did the US treat the people already living on the land that is now within the US? And how are we treating them now?

My point isn't that the US is awful but that making a big supposition like "most peace promoting and preserving nation in history" is not necessarily correct.

• Fire 2

And how exactly did the US treat the people already living on the land that is now within the US? And how are we treating them now?

My point isn't that the US is awful but that making a big supposition like "most peace promoting and preserving nation in history" is not necessarily correct.

To the first question, absolutely awful. 'We' committed genocide.

To your point, I know that isn't your point. Your point is that the Roman Empire has a better claim to being peaceful and preserving. That's... not true, but regardless, I very clearly disagreed with the referenced supposition about America.