Favorite Husker Game that was not for a Conference or National Championship

Of course all those mentioned were awesome, but I'll go a bit different. Think it was 82 or 83 against New Mexico State Aggies. We were demolishing them. They had maybe 20 fans scattered in the stands after the half. Quite a few of us went down by the sidelines in the corner where the Aggie Cheerleaders were at and started doing their cheers with them. For some reason, it was awfully damn fun, and felt great. They were just going through the motions at first, but we got them pumped up. Getting a hug from one of the cheerleaders didn't hurt either.

• Fire 2

2010 Missouri game. This was the loudest I have ever heard the stadium during the day. The goal line stand in the 3rd quarter is an overlooked part of that game. Stuffed 3 straight plays from the 1 and I would have loved to see them take that 4th shot if it wasn't for the false start.

2009 Missouri would have been up there if I watched it on TV but it was 3 quarters of being absolutely miserable in the cold rain before we started to play. The 4th quarter definitely made it all worth it but it can't be my favorite since it made me feel awful for 3 quarters. However, TO walked past us before the game under the stadium and had a Nebraska equipment manager go into the official semi truck to get me and my soon to be wife some ponchos. Maybe this game should be ranked higher.

1997 Missouri was an awesome game but I couldn't believe that we were having so much trouble beating a bad Mizzou team. It was more stressful than enjoyable for me.

• Fire 2

Halloween night in 1992. A couple years of CU frustrations was let out that night. Koy Detmer probably still has nightmares from that game. Memorial Stadium was the darkest I've witnessed. Completely hostile, loud, mean and awesome.

And it was raining/sleeting most of the game. Just miserable conditions to watch a game, and in most other stadiums the place would have been about half full.

Not Nebraska. It was packed, it was LOUD, and nobody left despite a blowout score. I think I was hoarse for a week after that game.

• Fire 3

1997 Missouri was an awesome game but I couldn't believe that we were having so much trouble beating a bad Mizzou team. It was more stressful than enjoyable for me.

That's kinda how I feel about 2011 Ohio State. Epic comeback, but it was against a 6-7 team..

• Fire 1

2010 Missouri game. This was the loudest I have ever heard the stadium during the day. The goal line stand in the 3rd quarter is an overlooked part of that game. Stuffed 3 straight plays from the 1 and I would have loved to see them take that 4th shot if it wasn't for the false start.

Great point. Despite Helu running wild over Mizzou, the game was still in doubt at that point. It was 31-14, but Missouri had scored twice, and we were doing nothing on offense. Helu had another big run, but that was sandwiched by a few bad drives. Suddenly Missouri has the ball 1st & Goal with a chance to make it a 10 point game and the whole 4th quarter to play.

They had moved the ball pretty well on their recent drives, and it was UNCOMFORTABLE. Then Gabbert fakes the handoff and comes around the left side with a green light to the end zone, and little Ciante Evans, giving up 30 pounds on the tackle, just stonewalls Gabbert inches from the goal line.

That's the play that broke Missouri. False start on the next play, settle for a field goal, and Nebraska ground out a couple of drives to kill the 4th Quarter.

Great point. Despite Helu running wild over Mizzou, the game was still in doubt at that point. It was 31-14, but Missouri had scored twice, and we were doing nothing on offense. Helu had another big run, but that was sandwiched by a few bad drives. Suddenly Missouri has the ball 1st & Goal with a chance to make it a 10 point game and the whole 4th quarter to play.

They had moved the ball pretty well on their recent drives, and it was UNCOMFORTABLE. Then Gabbert fakes the handoff and comes around the left side with a green light to the end zone, and little Ciante Evans, giving up 30 pounds on the tackle, just stonewalls Gabbert inches from the goal line.

That's the play that broke Missouri. False start on the next play, settle for a field goal, and Nebraska ground out a couple of drives to kill the 4th Quarter.

Ciante Evans played so good that year. I always wondered what happened I expected more of him but he was still a great player.

2014 Iowa overtime win. We didn't deserve this game but they handed it to us punting to Demornay after he almost returned the last one for a TD the. Takes the next one back. Add in the Kenny Bell GW TD in OT. Icing on the cake. Maybe this one just stands out a lot since my professor/golf coach is a big Iowa fan so I never let him forget.

• Fire 1

Could probably put many of the top-ranked battles, but two that were ho-hum games that I remember really enjoying are '83 @Minnesota and '95 Arizona State.

The 83 MinnySoda game generated this quote from Lou Holtz, when asked about T.O. running up the score. "It isn't Tom's job to keep his team from scoring, it is OURS!"....always liked that response.