How does this team improve in 2018?

Hate to say this, but it seems that under Erstad, we take one step forward (win a Conference title) and take three steps back (tank the B1G tourney, tank the NCAA tourney, lose to Holy Cross).

Are we really missing someone like Will Bolt? Or is this an issue with recruiting (as our pitching has been suspect as seasons wane on) and focus? Or is it something more complicated?

And more importantly, will Eichorst give a **** and look into improving baseball?

• Fire 1

Hate to say this, but it seems that under Erstad, we take one step forward (win a Conference title) and take three steps back (tank the B1G tourney, tank the NCAA tourney, lose to Holy Cross).

Are we really missing someone like Will Bolt? Or is this an issue with recruiting (as our pitching has been suspect as seasons wane on) and focus? Or is it something more complicated?

And more importantly, will Eichorst give a **** and look into improving baseball?

Palkert is a stud that can be confirmed. After winning freshman of the year in the B1G, Luensmann had a sophomore slump. We need Schreiber to get his power numbers back. We have some great returning players, easy to say Meyers needs to be the leader next year. Hohensee I believe is a junior as well. This could be a lot of things. We may need to go after another hitting coach as our offense production has stunk up in postseason.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like we've been getting some very solid classes it's just the monkey we need to get off our back now is in the postseason...

i don't think Schreiber is coming back. his Hrs were done this year, but his average was slightly better, he had more hits, and more doubles. i think he'll get drafted later rounds and then take off. better pitching would certainly help and maybe a change in offensive philosophy. it seems like the during the past couple of years we leave so many runners on base, particularly when they are in scoring position with less than 2-outs. it's absolutely maddening. we can never seem to get the big hit when we need it either.

A few things

• I think that Erstad and company need to get on the recruiting trail a bit more far flung. Two California kids, most are from Big Ten country. While there are talented baseball players around the region I think we need to compete more for the national targets if we want to compete on the national stage.
  • Coaching staff, we need to spend some money to get some experienced coaches from teams with post season pedigree. The athletic department makes more than enough money and have already infested in the facilities. Let's steal a coach or two from some teams with consistent CWS experience.
  • Preparation. Something is wrong when there is this consistent lackluster performance in the post season. They need to examine how they get ready, maybe bring in an outside perspective.

I liked whoever coined the phrase "Coach Intensity" because this tight butthole "take care of business" approach is reflective of Erstad. It can work at times, but not when you haven't "been there done that" to know what taking care of business means.

Only have a 10,000 ft perspective but the way this teams finds ways to lose games consistently against level and inferior teams leads me to speculate if there is over coaching rather than letting kids develop and play within their means, you know..how they got themselves to be Huskers in the first place.

Asking a coach to change his philosophy is pretty tough to come by. He's going to need to find some steals in recruiting that turn into gems to carry future teams.

JMO

It's recruiting....not getting the sluggers....not getting a dominant pitcher.

​The usual problems of playing in a weak league, a month earlier than any rational person would play baseball in this area, the major league teams draft your best recruits......it is what it is.

​That's why I never blame Erstad who is doing the best he can with the circumstances he's given.

To be honest, the current baseball squad is not an outlier.

Not just in terms of baseball, but with respect to most all of the other major sports at Donu.

The sad, desultory whimpering finishes are reflective of the end-of-season performances lately of football, basketball, and wrestling as well as baseball.

I remain a strong supporter of all the teams and coaches, but wish there was some obvious beacon of change on the horizon to give future hope to all.

Unfortunately, no such easy magic solution appears to be imminent.

I think Erstad's "one pitch at a time; one game at a time" is a pretty good mind-set in general. But you have to wonder if there is too much of a "this is just another game" when it comes to tournament time that is keeping them from getting jacked up for the big games like others are.

And you also see how much screwing around goes on with other teams and makes you wonder how much fun we're having. Not that I'm a big fan of some of the stuff that I see go on other places but perhaps there is some middle ground between them on one extreme and us on the other.

A few things

• I think that Erstad and company need to get on the recruiting trail a bit more far flung. Two California kids, most are from Big Ten country. While there are talented baseball players around the region I think we need to compete more for the national targets if we want to compete on the national stage.
  • Coaching staff, we need to spend some money to get some experienced coaches from teams with post season pedigree. The athletic department makes more than enough money and have already infested in the facilities. Let's steal a coach or two from some teams with consistent CWS experience.
  • Preparation. Something is wrong when there is this consistent lackluster performance in the post season. They need to examine how they get ready, maybe bring in an outside perspective.

This is a big point that stuck out to me for two reasons: 1) ever since Will Bolt left, we have yet to find a quality replacement and our hitting has suffered since then, and 2) IIRC, Erstad is taking base minimum as a coach, which is why we're able to pay top dollar and keep Silva on.

We have the money to go get a quality, proven coach that's going to work with Erstad and improve the cache of this program. It just requires Eichorst actually getting off his sorry *** and helping to do something about it.