Miles on the State of the Program

“I know when you are 314th in 3-point shooting one year and two years earlier 323rd, your offense is not going to look good,’’ Miles said. “It’s not fun to watch for me either. But with some of the people we’ve been able to bring in, I’m very encouraged we’ll have much more balance in our offense than in a long time.’’

The program is probably “10 days out’’ on hiring a new director of basketball operations to replace Teddy Owens, who left to coach high school ball in Florida.

Originally, Miles was going to spread the operations duties to three other staffers and keep that slot open, but he changed his mind. Once the operations job is filled, Miles will look to fill the director of player relationships job that opened when Ali Farokhmanesh left in April to become a full-time assistant at Drake.

In general, Miles said, he hears positive responses about the program’s direction, even after three straight losing seasons following Nebraska’s first NCAA tourney bid in 16 years.

“Our fans support us a great deal,’’ he said. “There is grumbling among the media and on message boards and such. I’m grumbling, too.

“But I think people believe in us, and I believe we’ve got the guys in place to make a good run. But we have to stay healthy. We haven’t been healthy in three years.’’

OWH

• Fire 1

I dunno what to think of Nebrasketball right now. I mean, we had several huge upset victories last season. Indiana, Maryland, Iowa, Purdue, Ohio State. But we also suffered a bunch of head-scratching loses to crappy mediocre teams. (Gardner-Webb? Really? REALLY??) To me the most troubling thing--aside from the inconsistency--is the rash of high profile player departures earlier this spring. We just can't lose that much roster and not be hurt by it.

There was a point back in early January when I was starting to get pretty optimistic. Then the wheels fell off the wagon. And the wagon ran off the road and burned in the ditch. I don't know how to feel right now. Just hope for the best I guess. :dunno:

I know when you are 314th in 3-point shooting one year and two years earlier 323rd, your offense is not going to look good, Miles said. Its not fun to watch for me either. But with some of the people weve been able to bring in, Im very encouraged well have much more balance in our offense than in a long time.

The program is probably 10 days out on hiring a new director of basketball operations to replace Teddy Owens, who left to coach high school ball in Florida.

Originally, Miles was going to spread the operations duties to three other staffers and keep that slot open, but he changed his mind. Once the operations job is filled, Miles will look to fill the director of player relationships job that opened when Ali Farokhmanesh left in April to become a full-time assistant at Drake.

In general, Miles said, he hears positive responses about the programs direction, even after three straight losing seasons following Nebraskas first NCAA tourney bid in 16 years.

Our fans support us a great deal, he said. There is grumbling among the media and on message boards and such. Im grumbling, too.

But I think people believe in us, and I believe weve got the guys in place to make a good run. But we have to stay healthy. We havent been healthy in three years.

OWH

he's kidding himself if he thinks the grumbling is only coming from message boards.

I don't follow Nebrasketball very closely but when you're a B1G school and you've got top people leaving to coach high school ball and to take assistant jobs at places like Drake.....your program is a mess. I'm not sure those types of things can be laid 100% at the feet of the coach. Seems like the school and athletic department needs to get quite a bit more serious about things.

• Fire 1

Whatever anyone says (Miles, Eichorst, Barfknecht, Message Boards), I think we all know it's pretty much a make or break year. I've said before that I think this is sort of Year 3 of a second term for Miles's tenure here. This year has his core class as Juniors, whether they are here or not. There are obviously things we can discuss, but might as well just let the season play out and we will have our answer on Tim Miles at Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Whatever anyone says (Miles, Eichorst, Barfknecht, Message Boards), I think we all know it's pretty much a make or break year. I've said before that I think this is sort of Year 3 of a second term for Miles's tenure here. This year has his core class as Juniors, whether they are here or not. There are obviously things we can discuss, but might as well just let the season play out and we will have our answer on Tim Miles at Nebraska.

While I say "make or break", you bring up a good point. Would surely be some gray area if, say, they were on the NCAA bubble,got snubbed, and then went on an NIT run. I would say the baseline is NCAA, but it could be an "I know it when I see it" situation.

These two post hit the state of the program right on the head. W-L don't always tell the whole story and we will know after the last game of the season where Tim stands.

I don't follow Nebrasketball very closely but when you're a B1G school and you've got top people leaving to coach high school ball and to take assistant jobs at places like Drake.....your program is a mess. I'm not sure those types of things can be laid 100% at the feet of the coach. Seems like the school and athletic department needs to get quite a bit more serious about things.

Dude, we covered this. Don't make it sound like they were step down jobs. ALL of them were promotions. ALL

Dude, we covered this. Don't make it sound like they were step down jobs. ALL of them were promotions. ALL

No, you talked about the ones that fit your narrative then disappeared when presented with others that didn't.

• Fire 1

I don't know where they all took jobs at but my mind thinks like this...

High Major Asst Coach: Promotions would be these jobs: Mid Major HC gig and/or High Major Asst Coaching job in your home state or more money or Alma mater.