Miles on the State of the Program

I don't follow Nebrasketball very closely but when you're a B1G school and you've got top people leaving to coach high school ball and to take assistant jobs at places like Drake.....your program is a mess. I'm not sure those types of things can be laid 100% at the feet of the coach. Seems like the school and athletic department needs to get quite a bit more serious about things.

For real...How DARE those coaches go from assistant coaches to running their own program. What a dumpster fire we must be for someone to want to further their career and call their own shots.

They should stay underlings FOREVER. Advancing your career is overrated anyway.

I don't follow Nebrasketball very closely but when you're a B1G school and you've got top people leaving to coach high school ball and to take assistant jobs at places like Drake.....your program is a mess. I'm not sure those types of things can be laid 100% at the feet of the coach. Seems like the school and athletic department needs to get quite a bit more serious about things.

Dude, we covered this. Don't make it sound like they were step down jobs. ALL of them were promotions. ALL

I don't care if it was covered already or not. If a high school job or Drake is better or a promotion or is more career advancing than coaching at Nebraska, my statement stands. The thought that this is acceptable may be one of the reasons our athletic department lets it continue to happen. It's apparent basketball has never been a top priority in Lincoln. Personally I don't care because they have sucked my entire life. I don't expect anything more. I think it's funny people are talking about making the tourney, a tournament, any tournament. Hell one and done in the NIT would be way more than we usually get.

For real...How DARE those coaches go from assistant coaches to running their own program. What a dumpster fire we must be for someone to want to further their career and call their own shots.

They should stay underlings FOREVER. Advancing your career is overrated anyway.

Dude, we covered this. Don't make it sound like they were step down jobs. ALL of them were promotions. ALL

I don't care if it was covered already or not. If a high school job or Drake is better or a promotion or is more career advancing than coaching at Nebraska, my statement stands. The thought that this is acceptable may be one of the reasons our athletic department lets it continue to happen. It's apparent basketball has never been a top priority in Lincoln. Personally I don't care because they have sucked my entire life. I don't expect anything more. I think it's funny people are talking about making the tourney, a tournament, any tournament. Hell one and done in the NIT would be way more than we usually get.

Your statement stands...based on your own statement...which is an opinion...not a fact. But nice try to spin it into something more than what it is.

I'm not trying to spin sh#t. I'm simply offering my opinion on the basketball program. If a high school coaching job is a step up and job advancement, above the University of Nebraska men's basketball program, that says something to me. Apparently you and Matty think things are just fine. Good for you. PM me when we make the NCAA tournament or *gasp* actually win a game in it. Remind me how many other power 5 teams have never won a game in it. Maybe we'd stand a chance if towel boy at Drake wasn't job advancement for people in our program. But whatever, I'm glad you guys think UNL actually cares about basketball. Personally I'd trade every bball game we play if it gave us even one more win in football.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not blaming any of them for leaving. I get wanting some lower level HC experience as a basis for furthering your career. I get not wanting to stay at a mediocre program. I'd just prefer it if Nebraska was more of a destination job and offered better opportunity and that maybe it was bit more attractive to stay in Lincoln rather than taking a HS job or going to a place like Drake. That's all I'm saying.

And yeah I realize how tough it can be to dig any program out of mediocrity when it's been there for as long as this basketball program has. I just think there is a lot more to the problem than who the head coach is. I mean it's been that way in Lincoln through how many head coaches? I can remember back to Cipriano days and it's been pretty much the same story ever since.

What you are all failing to recognize is that neither of the two guys who left to take coaching positions were actual assistant coaches at NU. Saying that two "top assistant coaches" left is not only factually wrong, it is an outright and blatant lie.

Ali Farokhmanesh was working as "Director of Player Development" in the program (read: NOT an assistant coach - i.e. a non-recruiting position). It was a 100% made up position for him because he was previously a Graduate Assistant but you can only do that for 2 years. Getting an actual coaching job at Drake was a HUGE promotion for Ali. This position is likely going to be left unfilled because it was only created as a way to keep Ali on staff a little longer while he pursued other full-time assistant jobs.

Teddy Owens was working as "Director of Basketball Operations" (also NOT a coaching position, also a non-recruiting position). Basically this position is glorified towel boy, but more appropriately, this position assists with making travel plans, assisting with scheduling, etc...and while he left to be a head coach at a High School, it should be noted that this is an elite private HS in Florida - one that presumably includes recruiting in some capacity. This is a good step towards coaching in college if that is his ambition.

As far as *actual* assistant coaches on staff; Hunter, Lewis and Molinari - they all remain intact. It appears that Lewis, while rumored to be in the running for the Butler head coaching job (an absolute step up in terms of prestige for a B1G assistant coach, at any school in the B1G), is probably not in the running any more. But had he gotten the job there it would have been by far the biggest HC position that any of Miles' assistants who have moved on to take. Getting your assistants promoted to HC is a little like getting players drafted in the NBA. It is a very good thing for the program. Getting guys like Johnson, Harriman and Smith promotions that they did get is what allows us to get guys like Lewis and Hunter (both whom bring with them very solid recruiting connections) on staff.

All of this hand-wringing about those guys moving on really seems like just another way to whine and complain about a subject that one knows little to nothing about.

• Fire 4

What you are all failing to recognize is that neither of the two guys who left to take coaching positions were actual assistant coaches at NU. Saying that two "top assistant coaches" left is not only factually wrong, it is an outright and blatant lie.

Ali Farokhmanesh was working as "Director of Player Development" in the program (read: NOT an assistant coach - i.e. a non-recruiting position). It was a 100% made up position for him because he was previously a Graduate Assistant but you can only do that for 2 years. Getting an actual coaching job at Drake was a HUGE promotion for Ali. This position is likely going to be left unfilled because it was only created as a way to keep Ali on staff a little longer while he pursued other full-time assistant jobs.

Teddy Owens was working as "Director of Basketball Operations" (also NOT a coaching position, also a non-recruiting position). Basically this position is glorified towel boy, but more appropriately, this position assists with making travel plans, assisting with scheduling, etc...and while he left to be a head coach at a High School, it should be noted that this is an elite private HS in Florida - one that presumably includes recruiting in some capacity. This is a good step towards coaching in college if that is his ambition.

As far as *actual* assistant coaches on staff; Hunter, Lewis and Molinari - they all remain intact. It appears that Lewis, while rumored to be in the running for the Butler head coaching job (an absolute step up in terms of prestige for a B1G assistant coach, at any school in the B1G), is probably not in the running any more. But had he gotten the job there it would have been by far the biggest HC position that any of Miles' assistants who have moved on to take. Getting your assistants promoted to HC is a little like getting players drafted in the NBA. It is a very good thing for the program. Getting guys like Johnson, Harriman and Smith promotions that they did get is what allows us to get guys like Lewis and Hunter (both whom bring with them very solid recruiting connections) on staff.

All of this hand-wringing about those guys moving on really seems like just another way to whine and complain about a subject that one knows little to nothing about.

Thank you for putting those departures in perspective.

I will be the first to admit I know jack squat about our basketball program.

The one thing I do know however is that we have been below average my entire life. That has to be attributable to something. Doesn't it?

It just seems to me that a place with the resources Nebraska has should be doing better, at least once in a while.

Full disclosure- Basketball was my sport growing up in Nebraska. I went to the Nebraska summer camp as a 9th or 10th grader. I became somewhat jaded at that time when Joe Cipriano (the current HC who the camp was named after) came into one of our sessions, sh#tface drunk, shirt unbuttoned to his navel, wearing more gold chains than any self respecting rapper would, reamed everybody out and then stumbled back out the door. I guess you can say I've never really been a fan of the bball program at UNL. And they've done nothing in terms of success to change my mind.

Thank you for putting to death all the misinformation about our "coaching" staff.

Thank you for putting those departures in perspective.

I will be the first to admit I know jack squat about our basketball program.

The one thing I do know however is that we have been below average my entire life. That has to be attributable to something. Doesn't it?

It just seems to me that a place with the resources Nebraska has should be doing better, at least once in a while.

Full disclosure- Basketball was my sport growing up in Nebraska. I went to the Nebraska summer camp as a 9th or 10th grader. I became somewhat jaded at that time when Joe Cipriano (the current HC who the camp was named after) came into one of our sessions, sh#tface drunk, shirt unbuttoned to his navel, wearing more gold chains than any self respecting rapper would, reamed everybody out and then stumbled back out the door. I guess you can say I've never really been a fan of the bball program at UNL. And they've done nothing in terms of success to change my mind.

#backpeddle

https://twitter.com/robinwashut/status/873174364488912896

Oh great, another coach that can't wait to get out of Nebraska to take a lesser gig.

so you are saying nebraska is a better program than Butler?

Apparently for Matty;

Drake = High School = Butler > Nebraska

I guess I wouldn't dispute one of those should be better. And in reality maybe all 3 are.

Butler is by far a better job than Nebraska.

Drake has a Final Four in their history, albeit almost 50 years ago.