LJS: Culture Problem for Huskers?

We're in an interesting period of Nebraska football history. What's particularly intriguing is the number of people who seem OK with the Huskers winning only eight games this season. Those folks blame the state of affairs on Bo Pelini's lackluster recruiting and the culture he left behind. That faction will tell you Riley and company have had plenty to overcome.

Meanwhile, those skeptical of Riley and athletic director Shawn Eichorst tell you the current culture in the program lacks accountability. That faction points not only to the recent busts, but also to 2016 senior co-captain Nate Gerry's bowl-game suspension last season. The standout safety says he came up three credits short of being eligible to participate, a remarkable development considering Nebraska's tradition of academic excellence.

"Gerry was a 'Bo guy!'" ardent Riley/Eichorst supporters shouted.

Meanwhile, those skeptical of Riley/Eichorst note the program's Academic Progress Rate falling during the 2015-16 academic year. Nebraska now ranks eighth among Big Ten teams after ranking sixth last year.

Skeptics also use as ammunition Husker receivers coach Keith Williams' arrest last August for third-offense DUI.

LJS

• Fire 2

Was Sipple not a reporter for the LJS from 94-?? when the Peter Brothers, Lawrence Phillips, Thunder Collins, etc were on the team?

I mean, "lack of accountability." 2 players got busted for weed during the summer. Can't really hold them accountable yet.

Nate Gerry didn't go to class all year and so HE WAS HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS ACTIONS BY BEING SUSPENDED FROM THE BOWL GAME.

Sipple is a hack writer that should have been fired for his indecent exposure charge at a strip club. But let's depend on him to talk about the transgressions of college kids.

• Fire 7

Was Sipple not a reporter for the LJS from 94-?? when the Peter Brothers, Lawrence Phillips, Thunder Collins, etc were on the team?

I mean, "lack of accountability." 2 players got busted for weed during the summer. Can't really hold them accountable yet.

Nate Gerry didn't go to class all year and so HE WAS HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS ACTIONS BY BEING SUSPENDED FROM THE BOWL GAME.

Sipple is a hack writer that should have been fired for his indecent exposure charge at a strip club. But let's depend on him to talk about the transgressions of college kids.

They should have canned Sipple a long time ago and done all they could to hang onto Brian Rosenthal last year.

• Fire 1

I'm a young buck myself so I'll just shine light on to this. About half the kids my age in college smoke/drink regularly. Welcome to America.

While I was in college there is only one of my friends that waited until he was 21 to drink. Other than that we all drank or smoked weed Maybe not every day maybe not every weekend but still a lot. I'm not saying that makes it right and I'm not saying that the rules don't apply I'm just saying that's what it is.

Bingo on the bolded part. It is rather annoying reading some of this dribble considering everything that went down a couple of decades ago. I don't know how "protected" the athletes are today by the police in Lincoln, but back then they were rather protected. Anyone remember Farley's first DUI? He got caught earlier in the night and taken home. He'd have never even gotten a DUI if he'd just have come back in the morning to get his car. He went back later that night and was then pulled over again before even getting a DUI.

Until I read about Riley going and interviewing sexual assault victims questioning their testimony, I'm not going to buy into this hack reporting about accountability.