Puerto Rico

I'm not dodging anything, I just don't think I can engage in a worthwhile discussion with you based on your previous reply. So in my own immature and sarcastic way, I made that know.

I'm well aware that ships can ride out storms. However, your own article reference a cargo ship, SS El Farro, which was lost in 2015 with all hands on board due in part to Hurricane Juaquin. So, I would think any non government cargo ship with supplies bound for PR would prefer to wait in port until the storm passed. 2 such ships in your article did, and arrived about 6 days after the Hurricane made landfall in PR.

I would contend that had this occurred on the mainland those ships, which would have been trucks and other disaster relief organization, would likely have arrived within a day or two, not 6 to 7. Would that have made a significant difference in the death toll, maybe not, but that demonstrates the point I'm trying to make about the increased difficulty getting relief to PR. It took more time to get relief due, in small part, to the location.

6 hours ago, ZRod said:

I'm not dodging anything, I just don't think I can engage in a worthwhile discussion with you based on your previous reply. So in my own immature and sarcastic way, I made that know.

I'm well aware that ships can ride out storms. However, your own article reference a cargo ship, SS El Farro, which was lost in 2015 with all hands on board due in part to Hurricane Juaquin. So, I would think any non government cargo ship with supplies bound for PR would prefer to wait in port until the storm passed. 2 such ships in your article did, and arrived about 6 days after the Hurricane made landfall in PR.

I would contend that had this occurred on the mainland those ships, which would have been trucks and other disaster relief organization, would likely have arrived within a day or two, not 6 to 7. Would that have made a significant difference in the death toll, maybe not, but that demonstrates the point I'm trying to make about the increased difficulty getting relief to PR. It took more time to get relief due, in small part, to the location.

FYI, ships are generally safer at sea than in port for large storms like hurricanes.

I'm not sure what else I can say about this. The image of all the ships "near" hurricane Maria in my last post should be all the evidence needed to prove my point that ships can maneuver around hurricanes.

As far as whether it takes more time to deliver disaster relief with trucks vs ships, keep in mind that each ship holds thousands of containers (modern cargo ships carry 4,000 - 18,000 containers), each of which is equivalent to a single truck. I think the notion that ships are some impediment to delivering supplies after a hurricane isn't true (or perhaps more accurate to say it's a minor impediment and if that's what you mean "in small part" then we're in agreement) at least compared to trucking in supplies on the mainland.

I think the larger issue of getting supplies delivered on either the island or the mainland is actually the roads. If they're damaged, flooded, blocked, bridges out, etc., then it's much harder to get supplies where they need to be and that affects the mainland and the island equally. Although you could make the case that since PR is mountainous and restricted by ocean, there may not be that many routes to get around blockages like there would be on the mainland, but that's after the ships have arrived.

• 6 months later...

Let's break this down ...

First, Puerto Rico is the USA. HRC tried to warn us:

Also, Puerto Rico didn't get $91,000,000,000 in aid. That was the cost of damage!

My God, he is a f'n racist idiot!

• Plus1 2
  • 5 months later...
40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Remember that weird company that nobody had ever heard of that got the $1 billion contract for Puerto Rico aid?

Funny story.

Quick, somebody put up that bar chart again that shows criminal investigation per presidency by political party. Then let's see how long it takes for the loonies to bring up the deep state and how them Dems just cover it up better.