B1G Considering 20-game Conference Schedule

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany told ESPN there have been ongoing discussions about moving to a 20-game league schedule, and Michigan State's Tom Izzo feels as though it's heading in that direction.

"I personally see us going to a 20-game schedule," Izzo told ESPN on Monday. "I don't think there's any question it's going to happen -- and I'm not overly against it."

The Big Ten added two conference games and went from 16 to 18 back in 2007-08.

Delany said the coaches haven't voted on whether to go from an 18- to a 20-game conference slate yet. He said the logistics will have to be figured out, especially with recovery time for the players.

"If we do it, we need to present it in a healthy way," Delany said.

However, Delany said that the move would certainly be favorable to bring more high-profile games to college basketball earlier in the season. It would mean that league play would start in December -- normally a time of year reserved for unbalanced nonconference matchups.

Izzo told ESPN that he would be in favor the change to 20 Big Ten contests -- as long as all of the power leagues do the same.

ESPN