LandOf10: Iowa-Nebraska series sizzling toward rivalry status

Rivalry Talk  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

I think the important thing is that:

1: we continue to play on Black Friday

2: we play a game that is not irrelevant most of the time

2a: Nebraska needs to fix Nebraska

2b: We should play either Wisconsin Iowa or Penn State.  Maybe NW.  Not Minnesota.

And I would add, If OU ever joins - that is the for ordained game day.   Wisc would be a great rival game once we become competitive again.  NW - has had all of the markings of a rival game- so many close games buttttttt it is hard to 'hate' NW - good respectable coach and players - I guess I don't recall any negativity about them.  PSU - has had many close games with NU until this year but that would mean a yearly crossover - so probably won't work.  Minny - MEH see no connection to them.   With a new coach coming in - I'd like to see Wisc as the end of the year challenge to drive us - to win the division.  They have dominated the Division for the most part so we should go after the best to be the best.

• 6 months later...
14 hours ago, Mavric said:

Ddw2RNcV0AEON22.jpg

Iowa is a team that gets better over the course of the season every year. Add the fact that Ferentz gets his team fired up to play Nebraska means that Nebraska will see Iowa at their best every year (whatever their "best" is each season as that clearly fluctuates).

• Plus1 2

I grew up with the Oklahoma rivalry, which was legit and historic. It was also the last game of the regular season, so it always counted for something.

When they swapped Colorado for Oklahoma as the final game, it wasn't the same. But.....it was a rivalry. And it kept getting better. There were years when Colorado had already tanked its season, but gave Nebraska everything it could handle. The games were exciting. Usually more exciting than I wanted. And as the last game of the season, it usually meant something. 

Right now I consider Iowa the last game of the season. It's always going to determine the taste left in your mouth.

But as a rivalry? I'm just not feeling it.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I think a majority of Nebraska fans continue to look down on the Hawkeyes and wouldn't consider it a rivalry. Unfortunately, they are correct (it isn't a rivalry) but for the wrong reason..

I don't think a majority of Nebraska fans look down on much of anyone anymore. I think a small portion of fans may still have delusions of grandeur related to the 1990s, but that is a fraction of the fan base.  We've all seen enough humbling losses over the last 20 years that we have a pretty realistic view of who & what we are. 

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I think a majority of Nebraska fans continue to look down on the Hawkeyes and wouldn't consider it a rivalry. Unfortunately, they are correct (it isn't a rivalry) but for the wrong reason..

Several seem to think Wisconsin is a rival even though we've beat them 1 whole time since joining the B1G.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Several seem to think Wisconsin is a rival even though we've beat them 1 whole time since joining the B1G.

Would also agree with this. Sure, we want Wisconsin to be a rivalry because that would put us in a place we all probably expect the program to be (competing year in and year out for the B1G West) but it also isn't the case right now. Hopefully in the coming years.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't think a majority of Nebraska fans look down on much of anyone anymore. I think a small portion of fans may still have delusions of grandeur related to the 1990s, but that is a fraction of the fan base.  We've all seen enough humbling losses over the last 20 years that we have a pretty realistic view of who & what we are. 

You're probably right, possibly a vocal minority. 

• Plus1 2

53 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

As was just said it has to have a little bit of history and or some sort of an equal footing.  Wisconsin''s big rival is Minnesota it has been pretty lopsided on Wisconsin's side for a while, but Badgers love to make fun of the Gophers.  Go over to the Wisconsin board Buckyville and you will see they are pretty much obsessed with putting down Minnesota. They have a really weird obsession with  PJ Fleck also.   On that board they actually have very little respect for Nebraska football and I don't blame them.  

I think Iowa makes a fine rival.  Iowa fans love to beat Nebraska and I think they have won 4 of the last 5.    

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Perusing around this board convinces me of the opposite, imo. I get labeled an Iowa apologist for some reason because there's so much sentiment of them being dramatically inferior to us, which I counter with a pretty harmless and honest sort of, "You know, Iowa has done much better than us over the last while.."

• Plus1 1
On 6/20/2017 at 2:39 PM, Redux said:

You know who I would rather consider as a rival than Iowa? Northwestern. They give us all we can handle every time they play us, or at least as much as they can that given season. The NW games have been far more exciting than almost every Nebraska vs Iowa game as B1G foes. Seriously, only the 2014 game stands out to me in memory other than 2015, and that's only because I was there and it was flipping cold

I vote Northwestern.  Black Friday game with these guys would determine  the real NU of the Big Ten. Plus I sense a lot of hate for Nebraska from NW.

4 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Iowa is a team that gets better over the course of the season every year. Add the fact that Ferentz gets his team fired up to play Nebraska means that Nebraska will see Iowa at their best every year (whatever their "best" is each season as that clearly fluctuates).

The similarities between Iowa and Colorado are intriguing as both teams legitimately despise Nebraska and were always amped up for the game.  I feel that perhaps Nebraska fans view Colorado in a more favorable light due to Colorado being a more prominent player on the National stage in the 90s and them having success against TO whilst Iowa's wins came against a lame duck coach in Riley and Pelini.  If Iowa is able to still win once Frost (hopefully) gets NU up and running I think you'll see this rivalry explode to a next level of hatred.

• Plus1 3

Iowa is a rivalry to me now. I want to beat  them in he worst way. Because we can’t seem to lately makes me want it even more. 

They are the new k-state to me. Not Oklahoma but k-state. 

Wisconsin could become Oklahoma to me.