House Majority Whip Steve Scalise shot in Virginia

Developing story.

Several people reportedly struck in shooting at Congressional baseball practice, including GOP whip

Several people were reportedly struck in a shooting at a Congressional baseball practice in Virginia, including House Majority Whip Steve Scalise.

A suspect is believed to be in custody, Alexandria police tweeted about 6:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Officers were dispatched to an incident in the 400 block of East Monroe Street, which is across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.

More than 50 shots were fired, CBS News reports.

Rep. Mo Brooks gives account of shooting

Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama was on CNN this morning and gave his account of the shooting.

He described hearing a loud bam, seeing a rifle and then another bam, and then hearing Rep. Steve Scalise scream. The shooter continued to fire, he said.

“He continues to fire at different people, you can imagine all the people on the field scatter. I run around to the first base side on the batting cage … and hide behind the plastic. … Gunfire continues. Heard a break in the gunfire and decided to take a chance.”

He said he applied a tourniquet to someone, though he did identify that person.

Brooks said security guards returned fire.

“There must have been 50 to 100 shots fired,” Brooks said.

Brooks said it seemed the shooter shot the security detail and then started circling around third base.

“My understanding it that’s where our security detail….still defending us, took him down. Once we got the all clear that the shooter was down, we went out to the outfield for Steve Scalise, he had crawled out in the outfield leaving a trail of blood.”

At least five people were wounded, Brooks said.

I read that the person who got the tourniquet was an aide who may have been shot in the chest. I don't know how that would've helped a chest wound, but I hope and pray they're alright.

Gabby Giffords getting shot was a unifying moment for Dems around gun control. She continues to be a very strong advocate. I just want to say, while in no way making light of the situation, this doesn't fit neatly into the bucket of attacks that normally draw a strong response from the GOP.

I read that the person who got the tourniquet was an aide who may have been shot in the chest. I don't know how that would've helped a chest wound, but I hope and pray they're alright.

Gabby Giffords getting shot was a unifying moment for Dems around gun control. She continues to be a very strong advocate. I just want to say, while in no way making light of the situation, this doesn't fit neatly into the bucket of attacks that normally draw a strong response from the GOP.

Flake on CNN said aide was shot in the leg.

Flake on CNN said aide was shot in the leg.
MI Rep on NPR this morning reported a staffer was shot in the leg, and another in the chest. Also some Capitol Police wounded.

He said they were all sitting ducks and would have been killed if it weren't for Capitol Police returning fire and giving them cover. They were in the dugout with only one exit, and the shooter had himslef strategically placed to cover them.

Shooter had walked over and asked if they were Dems or Republicans. He left, then came back with his rifle.