2018 5* Matt Corral QB De-Commits from USC, Open To All Offers

I am thinking if we don't sign a QB we will be bringing in a walkon

Some think that's the hope with the Kearney Cath kid, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Wait. So we don't take a QB on scholarship "just" to take one but we hope we take a walk on?
Yes? Big difference between giving a kid a scholarship just to take a QB and bringing in a walkon. Not saying we shouldn't sign a QB but I don't see how signing an average player is better than having a player of similar talent walk on.

If a kid is a walk on, he is not similar talent as a 3-4 star player.
That is debateable. Either way, I'm not against taking a QB whatsoever. I think we should pursue Corral. But I'm just saying if we don't sign a QB, I think we bring in a walk on.

It's not debatable
tell that to Baker Mayfield

Yep. You got me. The one time where the starter got injured at the most pass happy university in D1. You win.
ah so he isn't talented he is just lucky, got it. That must be why he was a multi year starter at the University of Oklahoma and was a heisman candidate, luck right? I'm not going to argue recruits are usually more talented, but to say that a walkon can't be similarly talented to a recruit lower on our board is ignorant to the facts.

Again, I think we should pursue Corral, I'm just saying I think if we don't sign one we will still bring one in. Is that ideal in my opinion? No, but you didn't ask me that, you just jumped to the conclusion I think we should take a walk on instead of a scholarship player.

While a walk-on can come in and become a very productive quarterback, I would say having comparable talent to that of a 3-4 star is more of an exception than a rule.

Most successful programs take at least one QB every year. #attrition

I don't think taking a qb every year has anything or at least very little to do with attrition.
I disagree. We skip this year and let's say POB or Gebbia leave next year. Then we are down to two scholarship QBs. And what if the next year we just have an unproven young player with no backup. #attritionmakestheroomempty

Most successful programs take at least one QB every year. #attrition

I don't think taking a qb every year has anything or at least very little to do with attrition.
I disagree. We skip this year and let's say POB or Gebbia leave next year. Then we are down to two scholarship QBs. And what if the next year we just have an unproven young player with no backup. #attritionmakestheroomempty
You are missing my point.
  • 4 weeks later...