2018 5* Matt Corral QB De-Commits from USC, Open To All Offers

2 hours ago, MattyIce said:

Honest question:

Say we have a top 15 recruiting class heading into Iowa game. Say we go 7-5.

Are you:

A) Canning Riley

B) Waiting to can Riley until after NSD

C) Giving him another year

D) Convincing him to retire with a buyout before Spring Ball.

If we have a talented class, we must find a way to get them here.

In that scenario... I lean towards C. Top 15 class means he has some additional 4 stars... and possibly even a 5 star in the fold. Say we have a new AD by then... I am assuming he takes the recruiting into this scenario - probably replaces Cav and Reggie. AD gives him an ultimatum for next year that it is CCG or BYE. You lose 2-3 games early and he gone. Lets Scott Frost work on being a coach a little longer.... he is still super young in his HC career. Any time working issues out that he comes across at UCF makes it easier for him to have success when he inevitably comes here. 

31 minutes ago, C N Red said:

What have you seen since they've been here makes you think that?? Mostly offensively. I can see some improvement in play on defense so i could see them being able to develop and deserve more time to prove themselves.

That's why everyone should give Riley 1 more year. Let him fire Langs, Reggie and Cav. MR fired friends and brought in Diaco, Parrella and Donte which is really starting to pay off and hopefully that only continues. I'd be more than willing to wait 1 more year to see what happens when he fires more friends, and brings in a real OC, Line coach and RB coach. Plus that'll give our AD a year to get things going before making what will be the biggest potential fire/hire of his life. Talk about pressure for a new AD..

I am all about winning and winning now but anyone that thinks firing MR now/ at the end of the season and is expecting next year to be great is nuts. We have arguably the toughest schedule in college football in 2018. (As long as we go 7-5 or better this year) We might as well have a team with stability and that has had a full season to play in a new D and new offensive scheme vs a new coach with new systems again and possibly losing more recruits. 

• Plus1 1

I feel like 7-5 is the bare minimum.  At 7-5 it would have to mean we beat Minny, Purdue, Illinois, NW and then one of Iowa/Wiscy/tOSU/PSU.  In my book that is pretty damned disappointing.  But if we somehow are sitting on top of even a top 20 class it may be just enough to keep him another year.  I don't know, there are so many variables at play right now.

@MattyIce, I'm a "C" all the way.  7-5 was my pre-season number.  I'd be elated to be 7-5 ... even more so now.  So, my thought was that he would make it through this season and after next year goes South we move to the next rebuilding cycle.  As always, it's not what I would hope for ... but it's what I thought would be a likely scenario.

Good question you posted.  +1.

I think this will play itself out honestly.  If Nebraska $hit$ the bed this year we'll probably see most of the high profile recruits flip/struggle to fill up the rest of the class with "difference makers".  Elite kids wanna play for a winner and if Nebraska ain't winnin' this becomes a pretty easy decision.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, C N Red said:

What have you seen since they've been here makes you think that?? Mostly offensively. I can see some improvement in play on defense so i could see them being able to develop and deserve more time to prove themselves.

4 hours ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

That's why everyone should give Riley 1 more year. Let him fire Langs, Reggie and Cav. MR fired friends and brought in Diaco, Parrella and Donte which is really starting to pay off and hopefully that only continues. I'd be more than willing to wait 1 more year to see what happens when he fires more friends, and brings in a real OC, Line coach and RB coach. Plus that'll give our AD a year to get things going before making what will be the biggest potential fire/hire of his life. Talk about pressure for a new AD..

I am all about winning and winning now but anyone that thinks firing MR now/ at the end of the season and is expecting next year to be great is nuts. We have arguably the toughest schedule in college football in 2018. (As long as we go 7-5 or better this year) We might as well have a team with stability and that has had a full season to play in a new D and new offensive scheme vs a new coach with new systems again and possibly losing more recruits. 

If we fire all those guys it wont help our recruiting and we will be starting over again on offense. Cav needs to go but otherwise we just need Langs to run a more college friendly offense that can help our QBs out. Im not against giving Riley one more year but only if we compete with every team we play the rest of the year, beat Wisconsin, and finishing no worse than 7-5. If we are going to fire Langs, Reggie, and Cav we might as well start over completely.

8 hours ago, MattyIce said:

Honest question:

Say we have a top 15 recruiting class heading into Iowa game. Say we go 7-5.

Are you:

A) Canning Riley

B) Waiting to can Riley until after NSD

C) Giving him another year

D) Convincing him to retire with a buyout before Spring Ball.

If we have a talented class, we must find a way to get them here.

Frankly, speculating a top 15 class seems unreasonable.