CornNation: Nebraska & The Theory of the Counter Trap

Decoding Langsdorf: Nebraska & The Theory of the Counter Trap

How the Huskers can now use the off-speed pitch of the run game

The Husker running game ineffectively played with one hand tied behind its back for long stretches last season; the hand that would have figuratively allowed for the Huskers to utilize a counterpunch to the Inside Zone body blow, if we were to continue using boxing analogies.

A myriad of factors contributed to this, but chief among them was the inability to run man and gap-blocked run plays with any confidence due to the immobility of our offensive guards prior to Jerald Foster’s return on November 12th.

​Specifically speaking, games against Indiana, Purdue, and Wisconsin were the aforementioned stretch of games where the Husker run game could not employ an off-speed pitch to exploit dishonest and aggressive defenses from triggering down hard against NU’s Inside Zone plays.

Although Decoding Langsdorf & the new Summer Install series are scheme-related, I am not suggesting that a mere change in scheme would have been the panacea for the NU run game ails. Rather, having the ability (read: offensive line athletes) to confidently and successfully run gap schemes involving a pulling guard within a sequential and constraint-based theory of playcalling would have been the panacea for the run game ails.

https://www.cornnation.com/2017/6/21/15835820/nebraska-huskers-football-decoding-langsdorf-theory-counter-trap

Decoding Langsdorf: Nebraska’s Counter Trap Part 2

Time to diagram the off-speed pitch of the Nebraska offense

Now that the theory of the open-side Counter Trap has been properly fleshed out, we’ll examine the individual blocking techniques and assignments for the offensive line rather than just through the straw of the FST’s responsibility.

As discussed in Part I, the blocking rules for the offensive line is to block gaps, not people, much like the premise of zone blocking. (In zone blocking the OL blocks any threat in their outside gap, in gap blocking the OL blocks any threat in their inside gap). This is done to build a wall away from the point of attack (POA) and make the defense pay for their over pursuit to the opposite side.

https://www.cornnation.com/2017/7/11/15952028/nebraska-huskers-football-summer-offensive-install-counter-trap-part-2

• Fire 4

I haven't gotten to read the entire article yet, just what's posted above.

But I've heard this theory before. And I have two issues with it. First, our running game wasn't very creative in 2015 either. And that had a lot of guys back from the 2014 team when we had a fairly diverse rushing attack. And second, Farmer was the other guard last year and he's likely the guy again this year. So just having Foster back won't exactly fix the issue. And given Farmer's wrestling acumen, I find it hard to believe that he's the least mobile of our guards.

• Fire 2

Something fans have been screaming for for years. really nothing new. Beck and Langs, IMO, both suffer(ed) from the inability to counter an aggressive D with traps and counters, misdirection etc.... If we can get that to work and have a QB who can accurately throw we might have an offense that is hard to stop/plan for. For what seems like the past 8 years, teams lined up 8 in the box and dared us to pass, this year I am hoping they line 8, we make them pay. Pull them out of the box and then hit with some misdirection, cheat the safety up...repeat...

Something fans have been screaming for for years. really nothing new. Beck and Langs, IMO, both suffer(ed) from the inability to counter an aggressive D with traps and counters, misdirection etc.... If we can get that to work and have a QB who can accurately throw we might have an offense that is hard to stop/plan for. For what seems like the past 8 years, teams lined up 8 in the box and dared us to pass, this year I am hoping they line 8, we make them pay. Pull them out of the box and then hit with some misdirection, cheat the safety up...repeat...

And hit a few screens to make the D pay for the hard upfield rush and blitzes.

Lack of mobility? That's a load of crap. I don't care how immobile they are. Adjust the preparation and teach him to be more mobile. Can't teach speed but you can train quickness.

It's a cop out to say that garbage. I understand to an extent but Christ almighty. Until I see the commitment to run the ball efficiently and diversely, they are nothing but words. Even if NU is 50/50 the run game needs to be committed to and bought into.

• Fire 2
  • 2 weeks later...