Why Is Everyone Predicting A Mediocre 2017 Season for Nebraska football?

Why Is Everyone Predicting A Mediocre 2017 Season for Nebraska football?
by Jon Johnston@CornNation Jun 26, 2017, 3:46pm CDT
Nearly every national pundit and big sportsy website is predicting an average season for Nebraska football in 2017. When I say average, I mean average from a national perspective. From a Nebraska fans’ perspective, their prediction of, for example, 6 – 6, is an awful season.
So why are they doing this? (See video in article)

LINK

The gist of of it is, we are replacing nearly all the skill positions on offense and installing a new defensive scheme with a new DC. They didn't even mention the schedule--which is tougher this year than last.

• Fire 1

So we are an unknown, and unknown equals mediocre in the preseason. It's fair considering previous results from our team. There isn't much reason for pundits to have faith in an unknown husker team.

Really???

We have lost 6 games or more 4 times in the last 2.5 decades.

I'm not down on us but we haven't shown that we can just bounce back and reload. We've been barely above average and with the now unknowns it's easy to see why they are predicting a drop off. Honestly I think the change in personel has us primed for a breakout this season. But I can understand pundits seeing a decline rather than a breakout if you just gloss over our roster and who've we've lost. I don't think that is accurate and I could really see us being a huge surprise, and I don't mind that.
  • Fire 1

So we are an unknown, and unknown equals mediocre in the preseason. It's fair considering previous results from our team. There isn't much reason for pundits to have faith in an unknown husker team.

Really???

I'm not down on us but we haven't shown that we can just bounce back and reload. We've been barely above average and with the now unknowns it's easy to see why they are predicting a drop off. Honestly I think the change in personel has us primed for a breakout this season. But I can understand pundits seeing a decline rather than a breakout if you just gloss over our roster and who've we've lost. I don't think that is accurate and I could really see us being a huge surprise, and I don't mind that.

Well...those "pundits" are lazy then and just pulling crap that easy out of their back sides.

The biggest change in personnel on the team is behind center at QB. I don't believe I have read a report from a QB camp that Lee has been to even before he became a Husker that doesn't have people ranting about his talent throwing the ball. He is also tailer made for this system.

Now, I don't expect these people to all of a sudden predict we are going to win the conference. But, like I said earlier, predicting a 9-10 win season doesn't produce clicks for these articles. The radical thing to do is to predict the former juggernaut is in the tank and not going to recover.

In other words, these types of predictions are based on what is going to make the media money. Not on reality that is recognized by actually researching something.

Really???

Well...those "pundits" are lazy then and just pulling crap that easy out of their back sides.

The biggest change in personnel on the team is behind center at QB. I don't believe I have read a report from a QB camp that Lee has been to even before he became a Husker that doesn't have people ranting about his talent throwing the ball. He is also tailer made for this system.

Now, I don't expect these people to all of a sudden predict we are going to win the conference. But, like I said earlier, predicting a 9-10 win season doesn't produce clicks for these articles. The radical thing to do is to predict the former juggernaut is in the tank and not going to recover.

In other words, these types of predictions are based on what is going to make the media money. Not on reality that is recognized by actually researching something.

Yes, but a lot of Vegas sites are putting the O/U for wins at around 7. They tend to know their stuff and that scares me.

• Fire 1

Really???

Again.

Phil Steele, the Athlon crew, and Bill Connelly.

They're not exactly known for winging it.

And we haven't finished the season ranked in the top 25 in almost 5 years.

• Fire 2

Really???

Again.

Phil Steele, the Athlon crew, and Bill Connelly.

They're not exactly known for winging it.

And we haven't finished the season ranked in the top 25 in almost 5 years.

From what I have seen, they aren't predicting final ranking. They are predicting win/loss. There is a big difference.

Really???

Yes, but a lot of Vegas sites are putting the O/U for wins at around 7. They tend to know their stuff and that scares me.

From what I have been told, yes, the O/U right now is maybe around 7.5. But, the juice is heavily weighted to one side.

Really???

They are lazy and it is definitely a flavor of the month mentality in the CFB world. Who are 2 of the hot coaches right now, PJ Fleck and Willie Taggart. They are going to completely reinvent their new teams and be contending for a conference championship. Nebraska plays them so naturally Nebraska is going to lose to them.

I really don't know how many games NU will win, but I will be disappointed if they win less than 8. Phil Steele has NU winning 8, which doesn't really mean much to me. He has NU losing to Wisconsin, OSU, PSU and Oregon which is pretty low hanging fruit. He is really high on Oregon turning it around.

Of those 4 the only team I feel pretty certain of a loss to is OSU. In my mind the other 3 are toss ups at this point.

Wisconsin will be good, but not any better than they have been. I like are chances at home against them. Oregon will be better, but who knows how much better I am thinking 7-5 better. I have said this for a long time about PSU. They had a great year last year and everything went their way. I just want to see them do it again.

Hey I may be selling them short against OSU. You never know.

I think that's where a lot of national guys are getting their differing, pessimistic views. Not that it's right or I agree, but I think they have penciled in auto-losses to Ohio State, PSU, and Wisconsin. Then the toss-ups being: Oregon, Minnesota, Iowa, and Northwestern. Then you have them reminding us to be wary about Illinois and Arkansas St, which is just completely silly.

They just look at surface numbers like returning production. Sometimes they're right. I think there's a chance this is a frustrating season. But I also think and believe that the new look offense and Lee are able to surprise them and we end up having a very good season that we build on with an elite recruiting class.

Really???

They are lazy and it is definitely a flavor of the month mentality in the CFB world. Who are 2 of the hot coaches right now, PJ Fleck and Willie Taggart. They are going to completely reinvent their new teams and be contending for a conference championship. Nebraska plays them so naturally Nebraska is going to lose to them.

I really don't know how many games NU will win, but I will be disappointed if they win less than 8. Phil Steele has NU winning 8, which doesn't really mean much to me. He has NU losing to Wisconsin, OSU, PSU and Oregon which is pretty low hanging fruit. He is really high on Oregon turning it around.

Of those 4 the only team I feel pretty certain of a loss to is OSU. In my mind the other 3 are toss ups at this point.

Wisconsin will be good, but not any better than they have been. I like are chances at home against them. Oregon will be better, but who knows how much better I am thinking 7-5 better. I have said this for a long time about PSU. They had a great year last year and everything went their way. I just want to see them do it again.

Hey I may be selling them short against OSU. You never know.

You realize that Phil Steele is literally the ONLY person you should listen to if you are going to buy into preseason progs, right?

Any betting or predicting you or anyone does, should take Phil Steele's info VERY seriously.