Husker Summer Workouts "Have Different Feel"

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/barfknecht-no-one-is-ignoring-last-season-but-huskers-summer/article_7b7e9423-1017-5516-a1aa-19adf49e3092.html

No one is claiming that an hour in the weight room on a June afternoon is the ideal barometer of the 2017-18 Nebraska men’s basketball team.

The hard facts remain from last season: a 12-19 record, five straight losses at the end plus four transfers out of the program.

But this group of Huskers spilling sweat and clanging plates — 11 on scholarship, including five who haven’t suited up for NU before — emitted a vibe that has been missing in the Hendricks Training Complex for a few years.

Unsolicited, assistant Kenya Hunter said this:

“It’s a different feel, I’m telling you. Guys will know their roles. That’s the biggest thing. The guys we added understand what they do well and have already fit in.”

Unsolicited, ex-Husker Walter Pitchford, who joined in that recent workout, offered this:

“There’s a better feeling on this team than the ones I played on here.” And Pitchford, who played professionally in the Russian border country of Georgia last year, was on two of Nebraska’s more intriguing teams — the 2013-14 group that shocked everyone with an NCAA tourney run and the 2014-15 team that flopped despite returning four starters.

What led Pitchford to say what he did? He admitted he has matured to the point that he better senses team chemistry now and values it.

So is there really something to this “feeling?”

Tim Wilson, the basketball team’s strength and conditioning coach, thinks so. “This has got a different feel to it, this whole team — and it’s on the good side,” said Wilson, entering his seventh season at NU and his 36th in the business overall. “They are all working very hard. They are all being more accountable and more encouraging of each other. “There appears to be a good chemistry. It’s an interesting team here at the beginning of summer.”

• Fire 1

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/barfknecht-no-one-is-ignoring-last-season-but-huskers-summer/article_7b7e9423-1017-5516-a1aa-19adf49e3092.html

No one is claiming that an hour in the weight room on a June afternoon is the ideal barometer of the 2017-18 Nebraska men’s basketball team.

The hard facts remain from last season: a 12-19 record, five straight losses at the end plus four transfers out of the program.

But this group of Huskers spilling sweat and clanging plates — 11 on scholarship, including five who haven’t suited up for NU before — emitted a vibe that has been missing in the Hendricks Training Complex for a few years.

Unsolicited, assistant Kenya Hunter said this:

“It’s a different feel, I’m telling you. Guys will know their roles. That’s the biggest thing. The guys we added understand what they do well and have already fit in.”

Unsolicited, ex-Husker Walter Pitchford, who joined in that recent workout, offered this:

“There’s a better feeling on this team than the ones I played on here.” And Pitchford, who played professionally in the Russian border country of Georgia last year, was on two of Nebraska’s more intriguing teams — the 2013-14 group that shocked everyone with an NCAA tourney run and the 2014-15 team that flopped despite returning four starters.

What led Pitchford to say what he did? He admitted he has matured to the point that he better senses team chemistry now and values it.

So is there really something to this “feeling?”

Tim Wilson, the basketball team’s strength and conditioning coach, thinks so. “This has got a different feel to it, this whole team — and it’s on the good side,” said Wilson, entering his seventh season at NU and his 36th in the business overall. “They are all working very hard. They are all being more accountable and more encouraging of each other. “There appears to be a good chemistry. It’s an interesting team here at the beginning of summer.”

Most teams put out info in the summer saying they will be better, and ready for the season. This is encouraging to me though. I'll have a shot of Kool aid.