NCAA Looks to Adjust Transfer Rules

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

It's about damn time.

1 hour ago, Dagerow said:

This opens a Pandora’s box.   There will no doubt be recruiting current players now, and the 85 person limit will become very fluid. (players coming and going).   It seems to be very ill conceived (based upon my limited understanding).  

The one caveat is the conferences can make additional rules and mitigate this problem significantly. As I’m sure almost every major conference will, the effect will be largely limited.   But irrespective, it’s a pretty bad change.

I don't see how any of what you've said is any more possible now than before. The only change is that a school/coach cannot block a player from transferring.

16 hours ago, mnhusker said:

I wonder how often coaches refuse to give permission, I assume most would rather let a kid move on so perhaps waiving the need for permission wont change things much.  I like the 4 game red shirt rule,  I will be very interesting to see the impact is has.

From my understanding, most coaches restrict.   A lot of it is, don't transfer to a school on our schedule while you have eligibility left. Like we would have told POB, he can't go to Colorado or Cincy so he can't come back and beat us.

The rising stars (players who show as frosh they are ready for prime time action will be recruited like crazy, directly or indirectly.   It really seems to be free agency.    I think if the player is not committed to the school, then the school ought not be committed to the player.  For example, I understand it that Big Ten scholarships are all 4 year (no cut) deals.  As long as the kid participates and performs in school, he is there for the full ride (4th string or not).   If this continues, many schools (the 'also rans' particularly) will face the prospect of losing all their difference makers to the top programs.   This may restore the order to back in the 60s and 70s when the perennial powers were the powers year after year, for decades.  The scholarship cutbacks helped spread the wealth and allowed the lesser teams to pick up some better talent and this was as it was intended.   

Whether the coach makes first contact or the player starts program hunting, the recruiting will now expand from high school and JUCOs to basically nearly all the players.   In a way, you will likely turn the lesser programs into de facto JUCOs who will see their best and brightest moving up after a couple years of seasoning and proving in the minor leagues.  Of course, there will be the third and fourth stringers from Bama looking to transfer to the highest bidders (even NU would take a number of Bama 4th stringers right now I am sure).   But I don't many Bama kids are going to go to the bottom 30 or so.  

The players are supposed to be student athletes not just athletes.   Team shopping all the time when they are presumably getting their educations is problematic at a minimum   Transfering for sports reasons instead of academic ones is also problematic.   Just my sense.   Maybe it will turn out different but we all know that Tulane's QB Tanner Lee didn't come to Lincoln to 'finish his education for academic purposes.   He came soley to try to get a shot in the pros mistakenly thinking Riley and Company could work magic.   

I guess this is OK but maybe it would be better to untie the academic from the athletic.  Don't require the players to be students at all.  Just let them be athletes on behalf of the school of their choice.  They are semi pros already.  Let's just make it real and honest.  

• Plus1 1
On 6/15/2018 at 5:41 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

The rising stars (players who show as frosh they are ready for prime time action will be recruited like crazy, directly or indirectly.   It really seems to be free agency.    I think if the player is not committed to the school, then the school ought not be committed to the player.  For example, I understand it that Big Ten scholarships are all 4 year (no cut) deals.  As long as the kid participates and performs in school, he is there for the full ride (4th string or not).   If this continues, many schools (the 'also rans' particularly) will face the prospect of losing all their difference makers to the top programs.   This may restore the order to back in the 60s and 70s when the perennial powers were the powers year after year, for decades.  The scholarship cutbacks helped spread the wealth and allowed the lesser teams to pick up some better talent and this was as it was intended.   

Whether the coach makes first contact or the player starts program hunting, the recruiting will now expand from high school and JUCOs to basically nearly all the players.   In a way, you will likely turn the lesser programs into de facto JUCOs who will see their best and brightest moving up after a couple years of seasoning and proving in the minor leagues.  Of course, there will be the third and fourth stringers from Bama looking to transfer to the highest bidders (even NU would take a number of Bama 4th stringers right now I am sure).   But I don't many Bama kids are going to go to the bottom 30 or so.  

The players are supposed to be student athletes not just athletes.   Team shopping all the time when they are presumably getting their educations is problematic at a minimum   Transfering for sports reasons instead of academic ones is also problematic.   Just my sense.   Maybe it will turn out different but we all know that Tulane's QB Tanner Lee didn't come to Lincoln to 'finish his education for academic purposes.   He came soley to try to get a shot in the pros mistakenly thinking Riley and Company could work magic.   

I guess this is OK but maybe it would be better to untie the academic from the athletic.  Don't require the players to be students at all.  Just let them be athletes on behalf of the school of their choice.  They are semi pros already.  Let's just make it real and honest.  

I highly doubt the “rising stars” are going to be willing to sit out a year, which is what they would still have to do.

• Plus1 1