2018 mid-term

• 2 weeks later...

Big upset on the Dem side for the Florida governors race tonight. I listened to Gillum addresss his supporters after winning the nomination and he's a charismatic dude. Came from working class roots and pulling hard for working class people. He's running a VERY progressive campaign: Supports pot legalization, assault weapons ban, repealing their Stand Your Ground law, $15 minimum wage, big increases to education funding (apparently very dire situation in FL), proposes legislation for a minimum $50K salary for educators there, abolishing ICE, expanding Medicaid, Medicare-for-All, actually empowering their state Dept of Environmental Protection to fix algae & red tide problems instead of favoring profits & pollution...

Not really sure how some of that plays in Florida. It's a somewhat reddish swing state. But he's a really interesting dude. Touts himself as "the only non-millionaire in the race," which is simple but powerful. I'm sure our Tweeter-In-Chief will make it his mission to attack him. And of course, a bona-fide Trump lackey won the GOP nod. Remember the guy with the campaign ad where he teaches his small children to "build that wall"?

It really ticks me off millionaires like Rick Scott can just dump $20M+ of their own money into races to give themselves an advantage. Politics is literally just a bought-and-paid-for game for them. And we wonder why our government policies favor the rich...

Also Arpaio came in third in his Arizona Senate race. So, you know, obligator l-o-l.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Big upset on the Dem side for the Florida governors race tonight. I listened to Gillum addresss his supporters after winning the nomination and he's a charismatic dude. Came from working class roots and pulling hard for working class people. He's running a VERY progressive campaign: Supports pot legalization, assault weapons ban, repealing their Stand Your Ground law, $15 minimum wage, big increases to education funding (apparently very dire situation in FL), proposes legislation for a minimum $50K salary for educators there, abolishing ICE, expanding Medicaid, Medicare-for-All, actually empowering their state Dept of Environmental Protection to fix algae & red tide problems instead of favoring profits & pollution...

Not really sure how some of that plays in Florida. It's a somewhat reddish swing state. But he's a really interesting dude. Touts himself as "the only non-millionaire in the race," which is simple but powerful. I'm sure our Tweeter-In-Chief will make it his mission to attack him. And of course, a bona-fide Trump lackey won the GOP nod. Remember the guy with the campaign ad where he teaches his small children to "build that wall"?

It really ticks me off millionaires like Rick Scott can just dump $20M+ of their own money into races to give themselves an advantage. Politics is literally just a bought-and-paid-for game for them. And we wonder why our government policies favor the rich...

Also Arpaio came in third in his Arizona Senate race. So, you know, obligator l-o-l.

I watched one of this guy’s videos several months ago and without knowing anything about the race I am not surprised at all he won.

9 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

And the polls have had him down by 4-11 points the entire time. It's arguably a bigger upset than Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

9 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

And here's the fearless leader's response:

This Gillum is impressive.  Hope the Dems get behind him as I think he has a chance, I worry that with his Bernie backing the general Dem leadership might back away and I think that would be very short-sided.  He's an impressive guy.

• 2 weeks later...

"We are seeing tens of millions of dollars flooding into the state of Texas from liberals all over the country who desperately want to turn the state of Texas blue," Cruz said. "They want us to be just like California, right down to tofu and silicon and dyed hair."

I guess tofu and silicon and dyed hair are hurting America.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:05 AM, RedDenver said:

And the polls have had him down by 4-11 points the entire time. It's arguably a bigger upset than Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Probably bigger, IMO. I mean, knocking goff someone who's been in Congress for decades like Crowley is huge, no doubt. But the sands were shifting underneath him and she was uniquely positioned to appeal to a deeply blue district which was something like 60+% Puerto Rican as she is. I'm sure that was a sense of pride for them even for people who were happy with the way Crowley was representing them.

Florida is far more red than her district. Gillum may have benefitted from such a big ticket splitting the vote, but his win was super improbable. He was solidly in third place in most polls. until he rallied the last couple weeks before the election.

• Plus1 1