The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

6 hours ago, schriznoeder said:

I stood and watched Mitch McConnell complain to this Senate colleagues, without a lick of shame, everything that is being reported by Harwood. How Democrats sat on this allegation until "the 11th hour," only to pull it out now, apparently to score partisan points. 

I could only watch for a few seconds before my blood boiled and I walked away furious. The man is the living embodiment of everything that is wrong with Washington.

If people want to complain about how politicians go to Washington only to do things that benefit themselves and their party while screwing over the people they're sent there to represent, let's talk about Mitch McConnell.

• Plus1 3

The Republicans’ theft of a supreme court justice is why none of this bothers me much.

I do think changes should be made though. Supreme Court justices should have term limits. They could be long, e.g. 16 years, but having them there through their 80s is insane, and the course of history can be changed by just a little blip in time. It shouldn’t be that way. 

• Plus1 4

14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The Republicans’ theft of a supreme court justice is why none of this bothers me much.

I do think changes should be made though. Supreme Court justices should have term limits. They could be long, e.g. 16 years, but having them there through their 80s is insane, and the course of history can be changed by just a little blip in time. It shouldn’t be that way. 

No.  I am not for that.

Separate from his book, Judge -- in a 2013 piece for The Daily Caller -- says of former President Barack Obama that he "doesn't have just a streak of the feminine in him; he seems to be a woman, and a feminist one at that, with a streak of man in him."

In the same Daily Caller article, he compares Michelle Obama with Laura Bush, writing: "With her love of violent movies, her fixation on fitness and death glare that appears when she doesn't like what she's hearing, Michelle is actually more man than her husband. Oh for the days when president George W. Bush gave his wife Laura a loving but firm pat on the backside in public. The man knew who was boss."

Kavanaugh’s high school friend who is said to have witnessed the attempted rape is a total dbag.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/17/politics/mark-judge-brett-kavanaugh-high-school/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&rm=1

Any man who calls Obama a woman is just jealous because he’s way cooler and more attractive than they are. And spanking your wife definitely doesn’t make you the boss. I’m guessing Laura spanks him back.

Assuming for a moment that everything Dr. Ford is alleging occurred exactly as she says, and let's say she immediately reported it to the authorities., does anyone really think that Brett Kavanaugh  would have been charged with anything more than a misdemeanor assault?  I don't.

So, If I am correct, the new standard would now be that an unreported misdemeanor assault, from 35 years ago, would be enough to keep someone off the Supreme Court.

And this new standard is being set by the party (Democrats), who are pushing "ban the box" bills that would forbid employers from asking potential employees if they have been convicted of a felony on their employment application.

8 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Assuming for a moment that everything Dr. Ford is alleging occurred exactly as she says, and let's say she immediately reported it to the authorities., does anyone really think that Brett Kavanaugh  would have been charged with anything more than a misdemeanor assault?  I don't.

So, If I am correct, the new standard would now be that an unreported misdemeanor assault, from 35 years ago, would be enough to keep someone off the Supreme Court.

And this new standard is being set by the party (Democrats), who are pushing "ban the box" bills that would forbid employers from asking potential employees if they have been convicted of a felony on their employment application.

An appointment to the highest court in the land is a little different than a regular 9 to 5, no?

I'm not sure what to think of this now. It's been 35 years since this happened and It doesn't seem like he has any track record of continued behavior. But it gives you pause when you think about the character of the people you want to hold high offices.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

We are talking about the Supreme Court. If he tried to rape a 15 year old when he was 17, I’m fine with him not getting the job.

• Plus1 2