The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

9 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Yep, and if I had to guess, in 2020 the Democrats will use the  "McConnell Rule"  if a vacancy on the Supreme Court opens up; and who could blame them?

They can't use it if they don't win the Senate. And if they do win the Senate, they'll do it as early as 2019.

19 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Yep, and if I had to guess, in 2020 the Democrats will use the  "McConnell Rule"  if a vacancy on the Supreme Court opens up; and who could blame them?

Easy. Me. I'm an American Independent, not beholden to one of these asinine parties.

Screw these people and their biased ways. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I disagree.  The hope here for Democrats is that if they can sink this nomination,  there will not be enough time to confirm a different nominee before the midterms, and if they can win the Senate (Not probable,  but certainly possible) they will have the votes to reject any nominee Trump nominates. 

And they'd be wrong. You're underestimating Senate Republicans. Mitch McConnell is one of the most effective yet despicable political operators of his era. I almost never think he's pulling strings for the right goals, but he certainly knows how to pull them. 

They've got, what, a month and a half left? It would take them at most two weeks to get somebody confirmed. I could see them breaking precedent to do it in a week if they needed to - confirmation hearings on Monday and a vote by the time the week is out. They'll do whatever it takes to get it done. I've picked up a lot of McConnell from those who report on Washington for a living - this Supreme Court seat is THE endgame for him. He values it above everything except keeping Republicans in Congress. 

If Kavanaugh eventually falls, they'll just move on to another name on their list. In fact, McConnell didn't want Kavanaugh because he knew he was a lifelong partisan with a very thick paper trail that could come back to bite him. They knew all of this was a possibility with him. The ones who really wanted Kavanaugh were the retiring Kennedy (part of the deal to broker his retirement was him having a hand in choosing his successor - he pushed for both Kavanaugh and Gorsuch, both of whom had previously clerked for him) and the WH legal counsel, Don McGahn.

TL;DR: If he goes down, they'll pick another conservative from their list. They'll rush them in under the clock if they have to. Absolutely no way they leave the seat open.

3 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

And they'd be wrong. You're underestimating Senate Republicans. Mitch McConnell is one of the most effective yet despicable political operators of his era. I almost never think he's pulling strings for the right goals, but he certainly knows how to pull them. 

They've got, what, a month and a half left? It would take them at most two weeks to get somebody confirmed. I could see them breaking precedent to do it in a week if they needed to - confirmation hearings on Monday and a vote by the time the week is out. They'll do whatever it takes to get it done. I've picked up a lot of McConnell from those who report on Washington for a living - this Supreme Court seat is THE endgame for him. He values it above everything except keeping Republicans in Congress. 

If Kavanaugh eventually falls, they'll just move on to another name on their list. In fact, McConnell didn't want Kavanaugh because he knew he was a lifelong partisan with a very thick paper trail that could come back to bite him. They knew all of this was a possibility with him. The ones who really wanted Kavanaugh were the retiring Kennedy (part of the deal to broker his retirement was him having a hand in choosing his successor - he pushed for both Kavanaugh and Gorsuch, both of whom had previously clerked for him) and the WH legal counsel, Don McGahn.

TL;DR: If he goes down, they'll pick another conservative from their list. They'll rush them in under the clock if they have to. Absolutely no way they leave the seat open.

They (Democrats) may be wrong; but I'm pretty sure it's their motivation

1 hour ago, Dbqgolfer said:

They (Democrats) may be wrong; but I'm pretty sure it's their motivation

In a utilitarian sense, I support their fight, as I would any effort to keep this man off the Court. He's more than proven to me he doesn't belong there.

As for the politics of it... I'm frustrated and upset about this whole process because I don't want a conservative Supreme Court for the next couple decades. But it is what it is and I've resigned myself to it. Elections do have consequences and conservatives cared more about the Court than liberals did. They cared about it enough to make a Faustian bargain with a clown like Trump to claim it.

4 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I'm sure that's true, but there's a big difference between telling/bragging to  people you're sleeping with a teacher and running around telling people you assaulted someone.

Unless you don't, as most people who commit sexual assault are prone to, understand it to be or believe it is assault.