US Cost of Housing Comparison

This is crazy. I knew there were variations. But I didn't realize it was this much.

DEphuiQUAAASgsj.jpg

Seems a little low for Seattle. Renting a room here right now goes for about 1k if you're fairly far away from the city center and rail system. My first year here I made 40k, was in income restricted housing and rent was still 1200 a month (studio). I wasn't even particularly close to anything. For a 2br, it's shooting up even faster in Seattle proper it's about 2700 a month at market value for somewhere not in prime location (e.g. by Amazon) 3200 a month to 3700 a month if you do want to be down there.

I just saw that. (28% of Income) / 12 = monthly rent. Therefore the claim is that the following is 'needed' to pay rent in each city, rounding:

SF: $4200

NYC: $3800

Boston: $3200

LA: $2600

DC: $2400

Chicago: $2300

Seattle: $2000

Philly: $1560

Dallas: $1200

Phoenix: $960

I don't know -- "needed" is rather vague. It seems like a good way to blow the variation out of proportion (at both the top and the bottom). But maybe not.

Also worth noting this is for 2brs at market value.

Yea just checked the numbers and property tax in FT. Worth is actually 2.81% compared to 0.75% in Jamaica Queens. Not that that matters a whole lot but it is a large difference.

Texas doesn't have a state income tax though. That helps make up for higher property taxes.

Yeah, among other things..

Property tax

NYC 0.72% statewide avg is 1.5% and exceeds 2.5% in some areas outside the city

Dallas 2.72%

State income tax

NY 6.65% up to 212k income, 6.85% 212k to 1M, 8.82% over 1M

Texas 0%

Sales Tax

NYC 8.875% Dallas 6.25%

I think I'll take the house in Dallas

• Fire 1