Chris Jones out 4-6 months

I didn't know meniscus repair took that long to come back from

This. Makes me wonder if there was a little more damage in the knee.

Had meniscus surgery in the spring after my freshman year in college and was back to full football activities and lifting in a month.

Is it possible the 4 to 6 month recovery is a bit of disinformation gamesmanship?

Either way, it is no excuse for this team. If one (or 2 or 3) injury significantly impacts the season, then it's not much of a team to begin with. Depth and development are no less important than a handful of your top players.

What team can lose it's 3 best players and not have the season impacted? It's one thing to say that we should have depth and development to mitigate injury issues, but it's quite another to say worst case injuries shouldn't impact the season.

Hell that would impact every team in the nation lol

And if we were thin at cb we moved a returning starter because.....

Because the team was better with Kalu at safety? If the injury had instead been at safety, does the coach staff suddenly become geniuses?

How many snaps has Kalu played at safety? How much better have we been with him there? Oh wait...

Had meniscus surgery in the spring after my freshman year in college and was back to full football activities and lifting in a month.

Is it possible the 4 to 6 month recovery is a bit of disinformation gamesmanship?

Either way, it is no excuse for this team. If one (or 2 or 3) injury significantly impacts the season, then it's not much of a team to begin with. Depth and development are no less important than a handful of your top players.

What team can lose it's 3 best players and not have the season impacted? It's one thing to say that we should have depth and development to mitigate injury issues, but it's quite another to say worst case injuries shouldn't impact the season.

I don't necessarily disagree. Each and every injury loss will have some impact on the team and season. My point is, if you're recruiting well (which we are) and properly developing that talent and preparing them, then I don't think a couple injuries should derail your whole season. If it does, you're doing something wrong IMO. Other teams overcome and persevere through injuries. One of the reasons we have not been able to is because our roster has been so slim and, in some cases, because the staff has not prepared deep enough on the team. I expect that situation to begin changing for the better this year.

All depends on where in the meniscus, type of tear and how big it was. But this had to be a good sized tear though.

This is meniscus repair surgery. Cartilage takes a long time to heal. The type of meniscus surgery where one is out for 2-3 weeks is meniscectomy which involves trimming the damaged piece of cartilage away. In this surgery, there really isn't anything to heal other than the incision sites from the scope. If you are interested in more information, you will find some here.

• Fire 2

Keep Kalu at safety and your starting CBs are Lee and Jackson.

Both of those guys were supposed to be really good out of highschool.

Time for them to step up.

I just can't see that happening. Kieron Williams is a serviceable safety, that's the switch. Move Kalu back until Lee/Jackson prove they are useful.

The fact that Kalu was moved in the first place show that Lee/Jackson have proven to the staff that they are useful.

All depends on where in the meniscus, type of tear and how big it was. But this had to be a good sized tear though.

This is meniscus repair surgery. Cartilage takes a long time to heal. The type of meniscus surgery where one is out for 2-3 weeks is meniscectomy which involves trimming the damaged piece of cartilage away. In this surgery, there really isn't anything to heal other than the incision sites from the scope. If you are interested in more information, you will find some here.

Bingo. Think there was more damage for this time frame

I don't necessarily disagree. Each and every injury loss will have some impact on the team and season. My point is, if you're recruiting well (which we are) and properly developing that talent and preparing them, then I don't think a couple injuries should derail your whole season. If it does, you're doing something wrong IMO. Other teams overcome and persevere through injuries. One of the reasons we have not been able to is because our roster has been so slim and, in some cases, because the staff has not prepared deep enough on the team. I expect that situation to begin changing for the better this year.

I agree it shouldn't derail the season, but it's going to impact the season.

Something had to happen this past week. He wouldn't have been announced for B1G Media Days if they had known about this prior.

Just spit balling, maybe he tweaked something in the spring and they believed rest/rehab (non-surgical) was the way to go? Then he hurt it further last week?

It's a pretty strange coincidence if there were false rumors of a bad injury to him in Spring ball only to have a bad injury happen to him in the middle of the summer.

I don't know anything about meniscus tears....but, is it possible that he had a slight tear in the spring that started the rumors and they thought it would heal only to have it tear farther in the last week or so which caused them to finally operate?

It's a pretty strange coincidence if there were false rumors of a bad injury to him in Spring ball only to have a bad injury happen to him in the middle of the summer.

I don't know anything about meniscus tears....but, is it possible that he had a slight tear in the spring that started the rumors and they thought it would heal only to have it tear farther in the last week or so which caused them to finally operate?

This is what I was trying to remember. Was he hurt in Spring Practice? I don't really remember it and couldn't find anything in the Injury thread. Did he play in the Spring Game?

This is what I was trying to remember. Was he hurt in Spring Practice? I don't really remember it and couldn't find anything in the Injury thread. Did he play in the Spring Game?

My apologies.

I thought he was one of the players for the reason the players injured thread was started during spring practice. That was Jojo and Natter. Chris Jones wasn't mentioned in that thread till July.

That would make more sense in that it's probably a fairly recent injury.