Chris Jones out 4-6 months

Losing Jones hurts everywhere. It thins out the team in the secondary and on special teams.

Lee should be ready to step up though. He's inexperienced as a starting CB but he's not young. I fully expect a 4*, 3rd year player to be able to start if need be and I think it definitely raises some questions about his development if he's not ready. Especially with how Jackson needs to work on his consistency.

My biggest concern with the injury is if this calls for a more vanilla defense than I was expecting. Year 2 I think will be a ton of fun to watch as Diaco trusts more of his guys and can be more aggressive. But year one, losing a potential Thorpe award winning CB for most, if not all, of the year hurts mightily. Especially when dependability and consistency are the two major concerns with the other two starting corners going forward. I'm just ready for the season to get here without any other losses.

Diaco said today that Jones could be back in "short order," whatever that means. Given he was debating the NFL, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to play later in the season and then prepare for the draft.

Huh. I hope he doesn't rush it. That could be more detrimental to his NFL prospects than sitting the year out. Bad film and the possibility of further injury isn't worth the risk IMO.

• Fire 2

Diaco said today that Jones could be back in "short order," whatever that means. Given he was debating the NFL, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to play later in the season and then prepare for the draft.

Huh. I hope he doesn't rush it. That could be more detrimental to his NFL prospects than sitting the year out. Bad film and the possibility of further injury isn't worth the risk IMO.

I think he's probably weighing three options:

1) rehab, play at least part of the season and then prepare for the draft

2) rehab, sit out the whole season and then prepare for the draft

3) rehab, redshirt and then play in 2018

Four-to-six months could have him back in November at the earliest, and since he was already debating the NFL last year, I'm guessing he'd like to shoot for choice #1. But, you're right, pushing too hard could end up ruining the whole career.

• 2 weeks later...

SEEN: Senior cornerback Chris Jones — who suffered a knee injury last month that could keep him out until midseason — standing without crutches or any noticeable knee brace on the sideline. He played some catch with safeties coach Scott Booker.

SEEN: Jones working gently on backpeddles and opening moves for coverage.

OWH

SEEN: Senior cornerback Chris Jones — who suffered a knee injury last month that could keep him out until midseason — standing without crutches or any noticeable knee brace on the sideline. He played some catch with safeties coach Scott Booker.

OWH

I've seen this movie before..............take it easy Chris!

OWH

I've seen this movie before..............take it easy Chris!

I don't know, he was already considering going pro after last season, so he is probably thinking that this is his last season at NU anyway. If he can make it back for a lot of the conference season, it may be worth a try in his opinion.