Recruiting Misses and Their Effect on Perception of Coaches

If you spend time in the recruiting forums this isn't really news. It finalizes some things but it isn't news.

Yes, recruiting class took some hits. Pretty average after losing 3 key members. Current one looks really good and although I agree we should always be at max scholly limit, we no longer have a small class for next year.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

• Fire 3

We are now at 77 scholarship players currently on the team.

Remember how Bo was crucified for having around 80 guys on scholarship entering fall camp?

I 'member. #memberberries

"Bo is basically putting us on probation by not having 85 guys on scholarship"

Yep, I remember.

• Fire 1

Remember how Bo was crucified for having around 80 guys on scholarship entering fall camp?

Yep, I remember.

So, basically Riley is managing the roster like he did at Oregon State, when he had a hard time getting anywhere near the 85 scholarship limit on an annual basis.

Yep, I remember.

So, basically Riley is managing the roster like he did at Oregon State, when he had a hard time getting anywhere near the 85 scholarship limit on an annual basis.

Was that the case at OSU?

So how is it Riley's fault that two idiots can't pass the entrance exam with a high enough score or graduate HS with a high enough GPA? Also, is it really Riley's fault that KJ Jr, couldn't put down the peace pipe??? Only idiots were blaming BO then and only idiots would blame Riley now. Just not the same idiots I guess.

• Fire 3

Yep, I remember.

Was that the case at OSU?

Riley said that during spring practice he would barely be able to do a 2-deep roster. Now, some of that would be due to a much lower number of walk-ons at Oregon State, but I remember saying he would be lucky to have 60 scholarship players during spring practice.

So how is it Riley's fault that two idiots can't pass the entrance exam with a high enough score or graduate HS with a high enough GPA? Also, is it really Riley's fault that KJ Jr, couldn't put down the peace pipe??? Only idiots were blaming BO then and only idiots would blame Riley now. Just not the same idiots I guess.

The likelihood of a player qualifying is a huge factor when it comes to recruiting. A lot of very skilled players will not get offers from top schools because those schools are afraid of them qualifying academically.

• Fire 4

Remember we were told that Bo was not fired just because he was mean but because he can't win big games and because he sucked at recruiting.

Well...Riley's classes are the same and he can't win big games* yet. I know people want to say MSU but Bo beat MSU a lot.

Just hate to see history repeated.

• Fire 2

The likelihood of a player qualifying is a huge factor when it comes to recruiting. A lot of very skilled players will not get offers from top schools because those schools are afraid of them qualifying academically.

Can anything be blamed on Riley? First year was toxins...recruiting classes are on the players and high school teachers...

Riley is starting to sound like my wife...never does anything wrong! ZING

Can anything be blamed on Riley? First year was toxins...recruiting classes are on the players and high school teachers...

Never said he can't be blamed for anything. I just don't see how it is the coaches fault that a 18-19 year old kid decided to blow the chance of a lifetime. It is the kids fault he didn't qualify for school, not the coaches fault. The coach makes his decisions based on the facts before him at the time, he can't see in the future to determine the character of the kid. Finally, if you read my post correctly, I said people that were blaming BO and Riley are idiots, not just those blaming Riley.

Never said he can't be blamed for anything. I just don't see how it is the coaches fault that a 18-19 year old kid decided to blow the chance of a lifetime. It is the kids fault he didn't qualify for school, not the coaches fault. The coach makes his decisions based on the facts before him at the time, he can't see in the future to determine the character of the kid. Finally, if you read my post correctly, I said people that were blaming BO and Riley are idiots, not just those blaming Riley.

I hear you I do. But NU and Riley are probably not in a position to be taking guys that might not make it...we have heard about these depth issues over and over and their first job should be fixing it...not making it worse.