Recruiting Misses and Their Effect on Perception of Coaches

Yes, recruiting class took some hits. Pretty average after losing 3 key members. Current one looks really good

2018 class is currently sitting at #22, around the same place we normally end up. http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Would like to point out that we sit at 22nd with ten recruits. Ten.

Having a small number of recruits is not exactly a virtue when we've got this many scholarships opening up at this point. And even if we replace a 4* guy from last year's class with a 4* guy in this year's class, it's still a big loss because of the delay. (Help is on the way now vs help is on the way a year from now.)

Yikes, that recruiting class ended up being pretty bo-like

How is this class Bo-like? I understand losing Blades hurt bad, but we had two better wide receivers than Keyshawn and two better than Watts is what it sounds like. Not having a secondary player in this class sucks, but look we got Tyjon who is elite, Gebbia who I think everyone here believes his future is really bright, Roberts who looks to be a great linebacker as a true freshman, McQuitty with high upside, and Thomas who has drawn raves of playing this year. This class is definitely better than Bo's classes. Blades was the only huge loss IMO. Keyshawn will be back but he wouldn't of contributed this year.

By NOT using all of his scholarships in the past MR has:

- given past walkons a chance to rise up and take a scholarship (which creates a positive environment on the team)

- Avoiding reaches on mid range players - during years were the top talent wasn't that interested in NU (not great for short term depth - however shouldn't have long term effect)

- making this class size +5 in the first year (2018) where NU really has a lot of interest from elite talent ( long term this will give NU a team talent increase)

This is not at all comparable to a coach in his 5th or 6th season leaving 5 spots open

Riley has shown that he is going to build this program the right way and the slow steady way - time will tell if it works, however he is showing signs that he will be a successful CEO at a big time program rather than a solid coach at an average school.

• Fire 1

Blades was a top 100 guy, no? You takes chances on guys like that. But you better be prepared (have another DB in the class, take advantage of oversigning) if he doesn't make it.

Didn't we turn down a mid 3* DB when we knew we had Blades in the fold right before signing day? Onyemobi or something like that?

I love the optimism. To me it looks like there are three possibilities, none very good:

- This is an aberration. KJJ at least, that's a surprise.

- Riley isn't as good at the numbers game as he should be.

- Riley didn't have the recruiting staff to get it done.

It could be #3. Some of the people complained about for their lack of recruiting cachet are gone after just two seasons with an AD who emphasizes recruiting. Two of those guys were Riley's closest friends with whom he had worked for his career.

• Fire 1

How is this class Bo-like? I understand losing Blades hurt bad, but we had two better wide receivers than Keyshawn and two better than Watts is what it sounds like. Not having a secondary player in this class sucks, but look we got Tyjon who is elite, Gebbia who I think everyone here believes his future is really bright, Roberts who looks to be a great linebacker as a true freshman, McQuitty with high upside, and Thomas who has drawn raves of playing this year. This class is definitely better than Bo's classes. Blades was the only huge loss IMO. Keyshawn will be back but he wouldn't of contributed this year.

Ranking wise...this is now a bo class

• Fire 1

The question isn't "is it the coaches' fault that a guy or two didn't make it." The question is "why is it more acceptable from a coach we like than one we don't." Of course not everyone was blaming Bo. But let's not act like it was just a couple extremists.

Secondly, the real problem with our current situation is a lot of it is self-inflicted. By all accounts - including Riley's - we were never targeting a "full" class. That is, we never really planned to use our three over-signings. Some speculated that Riley low-balled the number publicly to try to put some pressure on the guys yet to decide but that never really matched up with who we were recruiting.

Now, knowing that the 2018 class had a good possibility to be somewhat smaller, you can make a decent argument for saving a couple scholarships for the next cycle. But I think that kind of has to go out the window when you know you have a couple guys who are academic risks. Especially risks at positions that we're pretty thin at. We now have a total of two corners from the last two classes combined. That's making things kind of hard on yourself. It would seem to have been prudent to cover your bases a little better. Especially considering you almost always have a guy or two leave "unexpectedly" for one reason or another.

• Fire 7

So how is it Riley's fault that two idiots can't pass the entrance exam with a high enough score or graduate HS with a high enough GPA? Also, is it really Riley's fault that KJ Jr, couldn't put down the peace pipe??? Only idiots were blaming BO then and only idiots would blame Riley now. Just not the same idiots I guess.

The likelihood of a player qualifying is a huge factor when it comes to recruiting. A lot of very skilled players will not get offers from top schools because those schools are afraid of them qualifying academically.

@Mav, cough

You're reaching and making generalizations with some rose-colored glass where you see fit. Which is fine - this is a message board and we're all fans in the off season. But, fan or not (I wish I could agree with you), the logic is very far from sound.

By NOT using all of his scholarships in the past MR has:

- given past walkons a chance to rise up and take a scholarship (which creates a positive environment on the team)

- making this class size +5 in the first year (2018) where NU really has a lot of interest from elite talent ( long term this will give NU a team talent increase)

This is not at all comparable to a coach in his 5th or 6th season leaving 5 spots open

Riley has shown that he is going to build this program the right way and the slow steady way - time will tell if it works, however he is showing signs that he will be a successful CEO at a big time program rather than a solid coach at an average school.

I started Bo'-lding the parts that applied to Bo as well, but literally the entire post does. Mav is right; why is it okay for Mike to do it but constitute fireable offenses when Bo did? Current length of tenure at the school doesn't stand as an argument here. The same decisions Mike made (bolded) could be done in a coaches 10th year for the same reasons and be justified with what you mentioned. Doesn't make it smart or right.

RT on Mav's post. From someone who follows recruiting religiously, this is just pretty piss-poor roster management all around.

• Fire 2