Recruiting Misses and Their Effect on Perception of Coaches

Do you have any actual information on how much it happens to others? I would really be interested in that. But it seems like you're just speculating and throwing out a name.

I'm sure it happens to some extent almost everywhere. My own personal opinion is it isn't nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be. But plenty of people tried to make it into a big deal over the last few years so the attitude change is interesting.

Yep, exaclty

So what you're saying is that people make a bigger deal out of it when they're predisposed to not liking the coach.

Then you mock the coach for being "likable."

sh#t happens. We're thin. We'll know more when the games are played.

Pretty much!

Do you have any actual information on how much it happens to others? I would really be interested in that. But it seems like you're just speculating and throwing out a name.

I'm sure it happens to some extent almost everywhere. My own personal opinion is it isn't nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be. But plenty of people tried to make it into a big deal over the last few years so the attitude change is interesting.

A lot of people were critical/skeptical of Bo's recruiting classes because of the inclusion and pursuit of players that were never going to make it to campus - like Monte Harrison and Bubba Starling. Bo's recruiting classes had a trend of its top players not making it to campus or leaving early. Riley's had one class where a couple of the top recruits not make it - so yes, while it is alarming it is not a trend.

A lot of people were critical/skeptical of Bo's recruiting classes because of the inclusion and pursuit of players that were never going to make it to campus - like Monte Harrison and Bubba Starling. Bo's recruiting classes had a trend of its top players not making it to campus or leaving early. Riley's had one class where a couple of the top recruits not make it - so yes, while it is alarming it is not a trend.

You're talking a bit of a different subject now. But I don't think two players in six years should be that concerning - especially when you're talking about athletes of that caliber. And Starling actually did make it to campus.

• Fire 1

Yep, exaclty

So what you're saying is that people make a bigger deal out of it when they're predisposed to not liking the coach.

Who's mocking the coach?

• Fire 1

You're talking a bit of a different subject now. But I don't think two players in six years should be that concerning - especially when you're talking about athletes of that caliber. And Starling actually did make it to campus.

It wasn't just 2 players over 6 years. Those were just 2 that were never going to play a down for Nebraska. Bo swung and missed on other guys (ie Trevell Dixon) like those we missed on this year. If you actually are arguing that Starling coming to Nebraska was a toss up you just aren't living in reality.

It wasn't just 2 players over 6 years. Those were just 2 that were never going to play a down for Nebraska. Bo swung and missed on other guys (ie Trevell Dixon) like those we missed on this year. If you actually are arguing that Starling coming to Nebraska was a toss up you just aren't living in reality.

That's fine. So they've both been in the same boat on some guys. But the reaction to the two doesn't seem as similar.

We know the things that cost coaches jobs at NU.

1. Not winning enough

2. Getting blown out

3. Putting yourself on probation by not filling up your 85 scholarships.

Riley is checking all the boxes and has 40 years of experience. That is scary.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE what he has done with his coaching staff. I just hope that he can figure out the rest. If not...it will be fun when the next search starts.

1. Not winning enough

2. Getting blown out

I LOVE LOVE LOVE what he has done with his coaching staff. I just hope that he can figure out the rest. If not...it will be fun when the next search starts.

Honestly lets not kid ourselves there are 2 more things.

1. if you have a volatile attitude that embarrasses the school year after year (and before you tear me up, I honestly didn't care too much about this but it did play a part)

2. If you're not the new AD's guy, and he wants to make a statement

1. Not winning enough

2. Getting blown out

Well then let's start targeting our next coach; the guy who always wins enough, lands bushel baskets of top recruits, and has never been blown out.

You go first.

• Fire 1

Yep, exaclty

Who's mocking the coach?

teachercd. Who agreed with this post.

Just to be clear: as much as we loved mild-mannered good guy Tom Osborne, most Husker fans would trade pleasantness for wins if that was the choice.

Which it isn't.

• Fire 1

That's fine. So they've both been in the same boat on some guys. But the reaction to the two doesn't seem as similar.

I'd agree the reaction hasn't been the same but the reason I'm stating is that it was only one year for Riley. If he develops a trend of it happening (as it was with Bo) then you will see a different reaction - or at least you will from me.

1. Not winning enough

2. Getting blown out

Honestly lets not kid ourselves there are 2 more things.

1. if you have a volatile attitude that embarrasses the school year after year (and before you tear me up, I honestly didn't care too much about this but it did play a part)

2. If you're not the new AD's guy, and he wants to make a statement

Eh. your #1 did have some effect. But there are a lot of coaches who do pretty similar stuff. Saban, Harbaugh, etc. But they win enough that it doesn't really matter. So it's more in teachercd's #1 than your #1.

And on your #2, that's true in general. But in Nebraska's recent case, it's more precise to say you're not the Chancellor's guy who hired the AD to fire you.

Yep, exaclty

Who's mocking the coach?

teachercd. Who agreed with this post.

Just to be clear: as much as we loved mild-mannered good guy Tom Osborne, most Husker fans would trade pleasantness for wins if that was the choice.

Which it isn't.

I am actually mocking the fans that pretend like they care if the coach is nice...

• Fire 1

1. Not winning enough

2. Getting blown out

Well then let's start targeting our next coach; the guy who always wins enough, lands bushel baskets of top recruits, and has never been blown out.

You go first.

But we hired a super experienced coach to avoid these things. That is the issue. People need to stop acting like Riley was some sweet up and comer who was at a small school and was getting his shot at a young age. You love Riley and that is great. I am totally indifferent on who the coach is I just want them to win.

• Fire 1

1. Not winning enough

2. Getting blown out

You go first.

But we hired a super experienced coach to avoid these things. That is the issue. People need to stop acting like Riley was some sweet up and comer who was at a small school and was getting his shot at a young age. You love Riley and that is great. I am totally indifferent on who the coach is I just want them to win.

??

I don't think there were any illusions about Riley....especially since most fans had to Google the name just to find out who he was.

That's when they found out he was hugely respected within the coaching community, a better than average recruiter at perhaps the hardest sell in the Pac 12, a guy who pulled off his share of upsets against ranked opponents, but at the end of the day remained an aging .500 coach who had worn out his welcome at his home town school.

Could a guy with that kind of resume find new mojo with a late career challenge at a University with better resources?

Let's find out.

I don't know any Nebraska fan who was satisfied with Season One and Season Two. Mike Riley wasn't either. Season Three should be a better indicator. Season Four will confirm where we're trending.

So the notion around here that we've accepted mediocrity is kinda crazy.

We're the school that fires 9 win coaches, remember?

• Fire 2