Nebraska Highschool Basketball/AAU Recruiting

Here is a good article on Nebraska Highschool basketball this summer.

My son was at the tounement in Wichita and will be at the adidas event in Minneapolis this week end.

This is the first year he has played AAU. It's definitely a learning experience.

If you don't mind me asking BRB which program does your kid play for? Club/AAU basketball is an interesting experience for all, especially those who are new to it.

Sautter does a phenomenal job covering the local AAU teams when they are competing. In the long run I think Sautter will definitely help raise the level of awareness to the talent level that is in this state.

Nebraska Select.

We find it really interesting because my son has absolutely no desire to play in college. He is only doing this because he loves playing basketball and it's a chance for him to get better to have a really good senior season in HS.

HOWEVER, the entire thing is geared towards getting you noticed by college programs. So, being involved in it while having no desire to really be a part of the recruiting process, gives you a really interesting perspective.

Nebraska Select.

We find it really interesting because my son has absolutely no desire to play in college. He is only doing this because he loves playing basketball and it's a chance for him to get better to have a really good senior season in HS.

HOWEVER, the entire thing is geared towards getting you noticed by college programs. So, being involved in it while having no desire to really be a part of the recruiting process, gives you a really interesting perspective.

First off, good on you as a parent for not forcing him to play in college. Too many parents live vicariously through their kids and it hurts no one but the kids.

Not sure what the guys are like at Nebraska Select as I don't think I've ever met them, but there are too many clubs in omaha that only about getting the best kids in the metro for sole reason of saying they played for their club when they go to college. If thats the reason those clubs exist it's for the wrong reason if you ask me. Then you throw in all the club team politics and it makes for an interesting experience for sure.

Nebraska Select has been around for at least several years. Not sure when they started.

I haven't met anyone in the organization that I feel has their priorities out of whack. Pretty good group of people. Most of it is to raise the level of basketball in Nebraska and when possible, find them a scholarship to some type of program after HS. As far as I know, they are the only organization that covers the entire state and doesn't just concentrate on Lincoln and Omaha. Believe it or not, there are athletes past the York exit.

There have been some really good players play for them over the last few years. LINK (I know of some that aren't on this list)

PS...I couldn't force my kids to play college sports even if I tried.