They definitely had to reach to fill the time with good story content and it wasn't nearly as good as season 1, but still very entertaining I think.

I was so surprised at how negatively people perceive Buddy Stevens. All of my middle and high school coaches were just like him. Don't get me wrong, I think he sucks, but I thought he was totally normal as far as small town football coaches go, and most people don't have a problem with the norm.

I didn't have a problem with yelling and screaming. I had a problem with how he treated the people around him. He let Kam (the DL kid from PSU) do whatever he wanted, and yet would jump down Isiah Wright's (starting RB) throat for blinking. Also, the way he turned on the OC in the last bit of the final episode was a huge, huge, no-no for me.

Like I said, loud and tough, doesn't bother me. But... you also have to pick people up, and NEVER dress down your assistants in front of players.

I agree with all of that, just saying that I know tons of coaches just like him. I just thought high school/juco football coaches were generally pieces of sh#t by nature.

If there's one thing you can say about Buddy, it's that his players have no choice but to play with full effort or they'll get their a$$ ripped. Other than that, he's a total douche. He throws little baby temper tantrums all the time, and he gets way too personal when he attacks his players and assistant coaches. His OC had been with him for 9 years, and he gets a little butt hurt over something not even important, cries and yells, and tells him he can't call plays anymore... Embarrassing...

Miss Wagner is the glue that holds that program together. I'm not sure how anyone could feel anything other than admiration and respect for who she is as a person and a mother figure to those boys.

• Plus1 1

If there's one thing you can say about Buddy, it's that his players have no choice but to play with full effort or they'll get their a$$ ripped. Other than that, he's a total douche. He throws little baby temper tantrums all the time, and he gets way too personal when he attacks his players and assistant coaches. His OC had been with him for 9 years, and he gets a little butt hurt over something not even important, cries and yells, and tells him he can't call plays anymore... Embarrassing...

Miss Wagner is the glue that holds that program together. I'm not sure how anyone could feel anything other than admiration and respect for who she is as a person and a mother figure to those boys.

I agree with you generally, but let's not forget that "reality" television is anything but.

I'm 2 episodes in, and it's still pretty good. It's funny to see Buddy trying to stop flipping out and cursing at his players and coaches. I am sure he ends up breaking and completely loses it by season's end. The actions of the players can be pretty hard to watch sometimes. Between how they act during school, practice, and the games, it's a totally different world than what I'm used to. Of course, I'm not a 19-21 year old black kid, living in the deep south, so that is to be expected.

I did cheat and looked what EMCC did in 2016, and where some of the players ended up. Pretty interesting stuff.

Watching the 1 st episode now. The paper pencil thing unfortunately reminds me...

I was tutoring a student athlete at UNL a few years ago who was re-taking a math class for the 2nd or 3rd time. Everything was going fine, he could answer the questions without my help before the 1st exam as long as he had a calculator, which was allowed for the exam. He took the exam and got a really bad grade. Turns out he didn't bring his calculator. I had to tell on him to whoever I was supposed to report to. It was such a disappointment because he was really getting it and he did so badly he had to drop the class.

They definitely had to reach to fill the time with good story content and it wasn't nearly as good as season 1, but still very entertaining I think.

I was so surprised at how negatively people perceive Buddy Stevens. All of my middle and high school coaches were just like him. Don't get me wrong, I think he sucks, but I thought he was totally normal as far as small town football coaches go, and most people don't have a problem with the norm.

I didn't have a problem with yelling and screaming. I had a problem with how he treated the people around him. He let Kam (the DL kid from PSU) do whatever he wanted, and yet would jump down Isiah Wright's (starting RB) throat for blinking. Also, the way he turned on the OC in the last bit of the final episode was a huge, huge, no-no for me.

Like I said, loud and tough, doesn't bother me. But... you also have to pick people up, and NEVER dress down your assistants in front of players.

I agree with all of that, just saying that I know tons of coaches just like him. I just thought high school/juco football coaches were generally pieces of sh#t by nature.

My nephew played at a Juco that is very comparable to EMCC, and he says the show was fairly toned down from what his experience was.

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy Stephens is not a good coach. The reason he wins is because this school spends the money to have far better facilities and players than any other school in the league. You can tell by the stadiums they play in, locker rooms and weight room. Put him in a D1 setting and hes a below average coach. He goes baserk every time a mistake is made and his team crumbles (sound like anyone we used to know). He has no control over the players...or parents for that matter. He doesnt know anything that goes on in these kids lives. If he did he would have gave Isiah a little slack after his gf had a miscarriage instead of beratting him, telling him to quit and kicking him off the field.

Telling his players the other team sucks is not a good coaching stategy either. Respect your opponent at all times. If you take them easy, your players will take them easy. I hope he gets hired at a D1 school and then gets a big dose of reality.

You listen to his in game comments and he's not a good coach. Period. I couldn't watch after 3 episodes.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...